Author Topic: Harvest Pics  (Read 18726 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Harvest Pics
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 09:34:56 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures, Mark. They are an encouragement to us who keep trying!! Have a blessed Sabbath.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
That sounds yummy! Thank you!  :D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
A sampling from our garden.

Dragon Tongue Wax beans. They are about 6" long and tasty-tasty. I was in a hurry to get them canned so I only saved out a handful for a photo. It was a few weeks ago - I think there were 10 quarts with only one harvest. When they are cooked the purple streaks disappear and they turn a yellower color like store-bought Wax beans, but if they have purple seeds inside the cooked bean can look a bit odd.

Nothing fancy - Early Girl tomatoes & Sweet Italian Peppers our neighbor asked us to grow for him. More than enough for 2 families throughout the summer. One of those pepper plants was actually something more fiery - spiced up the food way too hot so we've learned to choose our peppers with care. And wouldn't you know, that one day I got a wrong pepper I was in a hurry preparing lunch and got it in my eye.  :(  I spent 30 minutes with water running over my eye and another chunk of time with a cold cloth compress and blurred vision. It pays not to hurry.   :)

Walking Onions. The bulbs grow on top of the onion's green stalk, and then start sprouting. Supposedly, if they are not harvested, the stem will fall over and the bulbs will begin growing where they land. I cannot resist picking them off when the stem dies so I haven't actually seen this happen, but then who wants a cluster of onions that will need thinned. 

This was my first year with them so I am still experimenting. Someone gave us the little bulbs last fall. They are drought tolerant so I stuck them right in the garden and they came up w/o water encouragement in the spring. They are tasty as green onions. Then mid-summer someone gave us a bucket full of full grown plants so I stuck them in a hole w/o thinning them. Many, many little bulbs grew on those - the photo is a sampling of them. About a month ago I stuck some of those bulbs in the ground and they have grown to almost green onion size. They get tougher as they get larger so I have cooked with the larger onions, but I don't know yet how they would do sliced on a sandwich.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
God has blest your garden, Victoria! Wow!  :D

Dorine

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »

Here is a little sample of what my garden produced today along with the lunch results (veggies served with Organic brown Basmati rice and coconut oil). What flavor. There are more carrots and potatoes to dig yet but the garden is just about finished. Does anyone grow Ground Cherries? I always have several plants in the garden.

The last of the tomatoes ripening in the greenhouse....

And now to start the garden clean up....

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

ltvvaughn

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
All this is making my mouth water! ! !

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

colporteur

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
looking goood !
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Al

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
I don't check out the other parts of the forum much but was glad to see my watermelon along with all this other great produce.

Vicky I am a little late to say you are welcome but was glad that you three were able to take that watermelon off our hands. Looks like you had some nice tomatoes ours did not make it this year which I think was my fault for making the soil to hot.  It is hard to find a knife long enough to cut these huge watermelons and yes they are hard to store if you don't have some way to preserve them.

Colporteur your watermelons where 59lbs that is huge.

Mark you had a great garden this year along with others it makes me want to do better next year.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »
What beauty, Vicki and Dorine!!  If we all would eat more from our gardens, we would not only reap better health, but great joy in working the garden and receiving these wonderful blessings from God. Pastor Vaughn is right, these pictures make us hungry for garden produce. And Al is right in that they encourage us to work harder next year. And, now is the time to start. Before the rains set in, much can be done to prepare the garden for the spring planting.

Keep sharing photos of your bountiful harvest!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 04:58:57 AM »
Seeing everyone's results has been very inspiring to me to keep pressing on even when the harvest isn't what I had hoped for. I had to have an attitude adjustment because my efforts are done with much pain (literal) and I was letting it get to me. Shame on me. I know better.

I hope there will be more pictures posted. I've been covering my garden with my compost 'now' instead of the spring. Something I've never done before. Then the mulch will go back on top of that.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »
Bless you! Well done!

I would have presented harvest photos but they would have shown 1-3 tomatoes and 2 squash. Too few to document. Every few days I would gather a few more and they were promptly consumed at dinnertime. And my testimony is this: they were spectacular in taste. No more cardboard tomatoes for us! 

The freeze finally took the last of the original kale and chard. I have a new batch planted but the frost got the tops. I am struggling to keep them alive but our forecast is not cooperating. At present, there are two full raised beds with lettuce starts. I doubt they will make it. Fall was here and is quickly turning into winter. Much lower elevations are going to experience a hard freeze over the weekend, so we will be worse off.

We brought in the tomato plants and they are nicely ripening in the warm workroom. We probably have another week or two and they will be finished.

I must say, it was a joy to have this experience. God lit a fire in my belly for vegetable gardening and for that, I am supremely grateful!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 10:20:54 AM »
Mimi, when many in the world are breathing no so clean air, are stuck in the foggy lowlands without sun, and have the noise of cars and neighbors, you are above it all!! When we have the scrub oak and dry grass (weeds) for a view (if we are lucky, instead of houses), you have the beautiful blue sky and green trees! When we have to pay exorbitant prices for water, you have a beautiful creek and well. And, when we look at a small lot to grow food on, you have much land. It is true that you are limited in what you can grow, but God will give you wisdom in this important learning time to find out what you can grow to sustain yourself in the time of trouble which is soon coming.

Go out your front door and take a picture of those beautiful evergreen trees you are growing. There is pitch in those trees that can be used as medicine. When going to the lowlands where a wide variety food can be grown, you will have something they do not possess.   :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
You just brought me to my knees by putting all of this into perspective.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »
Speaking of the evergreen trees. Somewhere doesn't Mrs. White tell us that there are healing properties in the scent of those trees? It seems that I've read that but I'm not sure. Maybe in Ministry of Healing.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
Wonderful garden. That swiss chard looks succulent. Absolute perfection. And the cabbage and watermelon are huge. We can't grow melons here at all. Season just too short. I'm enjoying this so much.

colporteur

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »
The cabbage and chard are from my little girl's garden. She has a small 12' x 48 ' garden and planted a little of  most things that do not vine out and take up a lot of space.
Grasshoppers were terrible and did alot of damage again this year but the plants were robust enough to almost out grow the hoppers until late  in the season. I need to find a cure for them. We have carrots that will not fit into a wide mouth jar. I like growing chard if for no other reason because it is pretty.

I'm sure your cool, weather crops do great !

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
Wow!! cp, that cabbage is huge!!  What kind of fertilizer did you use? Amazing!  And, tell us what the fence keeps out? The deer?  :)  I am still looking!

colporteur

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
I used alfalfa pellets primarily.  No, deer would step right over the fence. The fence  was to keep the coons out of the corn. I had to run it around the cantelope and watermelon patch as well as the vines run into the corn patch. We are stampeded with coons, skunks and opossum here but I have found that it takes very little in terms of electric shock to keep the coons away.  I have heard that all it takes is one wire to keep them out but I do not trust one wire and all it would take is one night for them to ruin most of the patch. Even a radio seems to be effective if you can keep it on a channel that does not fade in the middle of the night. It takes a couple of weeks for them to figure out that the radio is not a human and by that time the corn is past prime and getting chewy and they do not seem to bother it then.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
Alfalfa. Had a friend who put down alfalfa as a mulch. It was a great garden. The price of alfalfa out here has gone through the roof, as well as hay.  Looking for other forms of mulch.

I think I blamed the deer when it may have been either a skunk, possum, or coon.  We have them all.  Going under the fence may have been one of the little vermin, not the beautiful deer!  Do they eat kale or collards?