Author Topic: Collards and Kale  (Read 5392 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Collards and Kale
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
We have discussed Collards and Kale in our Healthful Living Forum, but they are such a blessing that we need to begin a special topic just for them. They are easy to grow and will contribute to good health more than most foods, especially when you grow them!  :)

Long ago I used to eat them just barely cooked so they would not lose their vitamins. But, I have learned better. Cook them until they are tender, add a little salt and they will taste a lot better than eating them plain. My favorite recipe is to cook them in a cashew or sunflower creme.  They are then more than healthy, they are delicious!

Collards and kale share many healthy attributes, but they are not the same. Therefore, I would grow both and enjoy them either together or separate. I like to chop them very fine and use both in a salad. When cut very fine, they are tender. As amazing as it may sound, they are fat soluble so cooking them and eating them with a little fat (veg fat) will improve absorption.

Kale has the top place when it comes to vitamins A and K. But collards come in a very close second beating out kale with a higher amount of calcium.   I put kale on top because of its Lutein content. The lutein content in collards is 16,000 mcg. The lutein content in kale is 31,000 mcg. This is a carotenoid that is very beneficial to eye health. source. I have seen a miraculous healing of the eyes with the treatment of raw collard and kale juice over a two month period. God has put within our food many healing properties that He often uses to heal the sick.

Here is a comparison of kale and collards from the USDA

Collards  fresh and boiled

Nutrient    Unit          1 cup, chopped

Water    g        171.34
Energy    kcal       63
Protein    g        5.15
Total lipid (fat)    g     1.37
Carbohydrate,     10.74
Fiber, total dietary    7.6
Sugars, total    g     0.76

Minerals
Calcium, Ca    mg    268
Iron, Fe    mg       2.15
Magnesium, Mg    40
Phosphorus, P    mg    61
Potassium, K    mg    222

Sodium, Na    mg    28
Zinc, Zn    mg    0.2   0.44

Vitamins
Vitamin C, mg       34.6
Thiamin    mg        0.076
Riboflavin mg        0.201
Niacin    mg        1.092
Vitamin B-6        0.243
Folate, DFE    ug    30

Vitamin B-12    µg    0.00
Vitamin A, RAE    µg    722
Vitamin A, IU    IU    14440
Vitamin E    mg       1.67
Vitamin D             0.0
Vitamin D    IU       0
Vitamin K    µg       772.5

Kale  fresh and boiled

Nutrient    Unit          1 cup, chopped

Water    g    118.56
Energy    kcal    36
Protein    g    2.47
Total lipid (fat)    0.52g
Carbohydrate,   7.32g
Fiber, total    2.6
Sugars, total    1.62g

Minerals
Calcium, Ca         94
Iron, Fe    mg             1.17
Magnesium,             23mg
Phosphorus,            36mg
Potassium, Kmg    296

Sodium, Na    mg    30
Zinc, Zn    mg        0.31

Vitamins
Vitamin C, total mg     53.3
Thiamin    mg        0.069
Riboflavin    mg    0.091
Niacin    mg        0.650
Vitamin B-6    mg    0.179
Folate, DFE    µg    17
Vitamin B-12    µg    0.00
Vitamin A, RAE    µg    885
Vitamin A, IU    IU    17707

Vitamin E    mg        1.10
Vitamin D ug        0.0
Vitamin D    IU       0
Vitamin K    µg        1062.1

USDA
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

Re: Collards and Kale
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:13:14 AM »
Thank you Richard for that wonderful information. My collards this year are a disappointment. They were planted right next to my kale which is healthy and strong. The soil is all the same in that area. Last year the collards were beautiful. These gardening mysteries baffle me.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
Dorine, what do your collards look like? Just stunted or worse?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
They are stunted and don't have that nice green colour that I'm used to. I fed them but it didn't make a difference. We've had a hot summer with little rain and maybe it didn't like the heat. Last summer was wet and cooler.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
We have hot summers all the time and they do not like it real hot. I suffer through the summer waiting for the fall. My collards are not a deep green, so they never look real green. I had problems with aphids, which are now gone.  The garlic and soap water along with a hard blast of water every day has taken care of them. And, I have taken to killing ants in my garden. When the aphids got on my tomatoes, it was open warfare on the ants. They have to take their cattle someplace else.  :)

And, the bugs have been real bad this year on the greens. I have ceased picking them off and stepping on them. I now have gotten past not squishing them with my fingers....as fast as I can.  I was going to pull my greens, but decided to clean them up and attack the attackers. They are looking better, so when the weather cools, I will have a ready supply of roots and stems to produce a harvest of leaves....I hope.  :)

I have more ready to transplant, but am fearful of aphids and beetles. So, I am waiting and have started more seeds. Have three varieties of kale and one or two collards. Can't wait for fresh kale and collards. I had to buy collards the other day. It was painful!!

Are you replanting your collards?

Dorine

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:01:03 AM »
I don't think I will replant. I am going to keep working with what I have and maybe the cooler weather will perk them up. If I do replant I will do it in the greenhouse.  I haven't really had much problem with pests. My kale, beets and swiss chard are never touched. Although yesterday I checked on my corn and the ants are running up and down the stalks. Somehow I don't think that is good news. We are also finding those small green caterpillars on our broccoli, cabbage and basil. So far I've been able to keep them under control with blasts of water and hand picking. Each year brings a different challenge. I wish we could grow spinach for longer periods here. As you said it hurts to have to buy things that should be growing in your own garden.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
This evening I made the rounds in the garden and stood staring at the Russian Kale. It is beyond the "tender" stage. Kale and I are still becoming acquainted so I decided to not let it intimidate me and thinned out a dozen plants and took them to the kitchen sink. I stared at them a little longer and decided they are obviously "greens," so I will treat them as such. After attempting to tenderize them with a little boiling water in a covered pot, it seemed they were not going to accommodate me. The next stop was the blender. I pulverized them adding just enough almond milk and lemon to cook them a little longer. After about 30 minutes on a slow simmer, I had what appeared to be kale pesto. Hum ... is there such a thing? Yes. Google says so.  ;) and of course, we believe Google. The Parmesan cheese was substituted with fake cheese and I 86'd the olive oil. Adding some Greek seasonings and a dash of salt, the results are fantastic. The almond milk tamed it. Chewing is still a bit intense, but the flavor is great.

Thought I'd share.  ;D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »
Great recipe!!

It is time to plant winter greens in many areas.  They need to mature before we lose our sunlight. Mature greens under the protection of a hoop-house will provide winter greens. Russian kale is a good choice.

Dorine

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 05:07:56 AM »
So glad the end result of your kale experiment turned out for you Richard.

I grow what is called True Russian Kale.  When they were small and tender something ate them to the ground. I never did see the insect that was eating them. I thought I had lost them but once they were eaten down to the ground I just forgot about them and a couple of weeks later new shoots came up and they never looked back. They are now big and lush. Have you ever made Wilted Kale Salad? It is delicious. Here is the recipe:

Wilted Kale Salad
Remove hard ribs from 1 large bunch of kale. Shred finely.  Add:
1 red pepper, finely chopped.

Mix together:
3 Tbsp. Tamari
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Onion powder

Add a generous amount of dressing. Using your hands, massage salad for a minute or so or until it wilts down. Serve immediately. Delicious!!

=======================================================================
Next year I'm going to grow Black Tuscan again. It is very hardy and the insects didn't seem to like it.

My collards on the other hand were devoured by hungry critters and never returned. I've since replanted in the greenhouse and they are coming along nicely. I'm discovering that not all instructions and solutions fit all gardens in all places. What works one year doesn't work another. What works this month may not work next month. What seems to work for my neighbour may not work for me.  I'm trying to keep my TLC as simple and natural as possible with much  prayer.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 06:49:42 AM »
Remove hard ribs from 1 large bunch of kale.

Ah ha! That is what I failed to do on the leaves before cutting, pulverizing and cooking them. It simply slipped my mind.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Dorine

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »
 :) I prefer my kale raw rather than cooked. Cooking changes the flavour which my taste buds don't particularly like. Love it in smoothies or juicing or the wilted kale salad. I hope you were able to use yours Mimi even though you didn't take the ribs out.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »
My kale plants took a big hit during the summer heat and with bug attacks. I pulled quite a few out, but the ones I left in are producing nice leaves now. My seedlings are still in pots that Gray squirrels dug into to plant pecans nuts.  :(  I am thankful for the pecan seedlings they give me, but I need my kale!! 

California is supposed to get a large amount of rain this winter.  If so, only by God's grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »
Started the kale too late. In my area of the  world, I ought  to have planted the seedlings a couple of weeks ago. We still have hot days, but the nights have cooled off and I can see that it is going to be hard to get my kale up to size if we get an early cold winter. The days are getting shorter. I  thought I was ok, but  better early than late since I have the seedlings in pots. 

Dorine

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 09:57:52 PM »
Yippee! I'm back again. Thank you Richard for getting me out of the mess I got myself into.

My kale also got hit badly by bugs this year. The worst ever but the new leaves coming along are healthy. I didn't plant any for the fall seeing we are moving.

Ours were so badly eaten that we really couldn't get enough to eat or use in smoothies. Didn't see many slugs this year. They hate wood chips. We have a few earwigs but not enough to do that kind of damage. We did have a plague of grasshoppers though. Different kinds. Some looked like moths when they flew but when landed you could see they were grasshoppers. They have lasted the whole summer and are still around. Maybe they were eating the kale. Every year there are new and different challenges. All we can do is keep trying and leave the rest to God.

I hope your kale will be ok Richard. They are pretty hardy.

colporteur

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »

We have been putting diatomaceous earth on our Kale and it has been keeping the worms/bugs off. We love it especially cooked with a little flax seed oil and sea salt on it.
Good stuff. The children devour it.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Dorine

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »
I have diatomaceous earth but it wouldn't stay on the kale. And what little did stay would get washed away with the showers. I have never had success with it even though I know it works wonders for many.