Author Topic: Thinking about doing a Garden?  (Read 12377 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Thinking about doing a Garden?
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 05:46:27 AM »
Amen, Sister Marelis! What a blessing it is to see the seeds germinate and the trees grow and produce an abundant harvest! Or even just one or two plants of kale in a pot!  I still remember the day when a young boy I learned that the peach that I picked off of our tree could produce another tree that would produce hundreds of peaches. All from the one little seed within my peach!! And, how much would it cost? Nothing, but some effort on my part to plant the seed.

Many will say, but you need to prepare the ground, fertilize, and water the seed. Yes, that is the better way, but you know what? There are seeds that produce plants and trees that I have never planted, watered, fertilized, or weeded. I have quite a few pecan trees that the squirrels planted, God watered, and I only have to fight off the squirrels to get a few! What an amazing thought!!!

Today, we have seed companies that produce seeds that produce plants that have no seeds.  :(    That is not the ways of God. He gave us plants that produce seeds after their kind. God's ways are not the ways of the world. I think that God put it into all little children to be impressed with the germination of seeds and the growth of plants and trees. But, we need to take advantage of that by taking the little ones into the garden and help them care for the plants. There are many spiritual lessons for them to learn as the garden grows.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »
If you are thinking about doing a garden, think about protecting your plants from critters. Not just bugs, but deer, turkeys, racoons, rabbits, etc. Last week a friend who I had given a peach tree to, told me the one peach that she was looking forward to eating in a day or two, was seen being eaten by a squirrel!   Imagine a squirrel eating a peach!  I watched one eating a mandarine he stole from my neighbors tree.  I have contended with gray squirrels for my pecans for years, but a mandarine?

And last night I caught a racoon in my garden. They usually just go after the  cat's food, but they like something in the garden. I have not yet discovered why he was there. I imagine he is waiting for something to ripen, like I am. It will be a race to see who gets the reward of my labor!!

Netting and fencing are an expense that can save our food from the critters who seem to be guided by an unkind angel. But, God is more powerful and He is active in providing for all of our needs!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
Maybe you don't have room for a garden?  Then pray about moving to the country where you can have a garden, especially if you have children. It will be a blessing as God opens the door for you to do so.

The time is fast coming when the controlling power of the labor unions will be very oppressive. Again and again the Lord has instructed that our people are to take their families away from the cities, into the country, where they can raise their own provisions; for in the future the problem of buying and selling will be a very serious one. We should now begin to heed the instruction given us over and over again: Get out of the cities into rural districts, where the houses are not crowded closely together, and where you will be free from the interference of enemies.--Letter 5, 1904.   

These cities are filled with wickedness of every kind,--with strikes and murders and suicides. Satan is in them, controlling men in their work of destruction. Under his influence they kill for the sake of killing, and this they will do more and more. . . . 

If we place ourselves under objectionable influences, can we expect God to work a miracle to undo the results of our wrong course? --No, indeed. Get out of the cities as soon as possible, and purchase a little piece of land, where you can have a garden, where your children can watch the flowers growing, and learn from them lessons of simplicity and purity.--General Conference Bulletin, March 30, 1903.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »
If you have not thought about a garden, read a little on the light given to us regarding a garden.

When the power invested in kings is allied to goodness, it is because the one in responsibility is under the divine dictation. When power is allied with wickedness, it is allied to Satanic agencies, and it will work to destroy those who are the Lord's property. The Protestant world have set up an idol sabbath in the place where God's Sabbath should be, and they are treading in the footsteps of the Papacy. For this reason I see the necessity of the people of God moving out of the cities into retired country [places,] where they may cultivate the land and raise their own produce. Thus they may bring their children up with simple, healthful habits. I see the necessity of making haste to get all things ready for the crisis.--Letter 90, 1897. 

Can't do a garden? Pray for God help you do a garden. You will in His time be blessed.