Author Topic: Saving Seeds  (Read 2737 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Saving Seeds
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »
We have topic and harvesting seeds, let's discover how to save seeds so that we can use them one, two, or three years later.

One thing that I have discovered that makes me smile is that my collard seeds are long lasting!  :)  With that knowledge and knowing that most hungry people will be looking for something other than collards, it appears that  we who are growing and eating collards and kale will have a healthy food to eat when things become difficult.

Seed viability seems to be from one year to five if stored properly. Of course, it is a matter of percentage of viable seed. Even fresh seed will seldom produce 100% viability. With age the viability is reduced so that a smaller percentage will be usable.  Conditions that are important are moisture level, temperature level, and keeping the seed from light. It is also necessary to protect the seed from critters. I have lost seed to mice. 

Here is some information on seed saving:  source
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

Re: Saving Seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
Richard, sorry for being busy but I will at least say that all my seed are stored in the deep freezer. They seem to last a lot longer then a cool dry and dark spot. Planted some corn seed this spring that was 11 years old and got better then 90% germ. Got some tomato seed from the gov. seed bank the other day and they had been in a good freezer since 1962 and got 3 out of the 4 seeds I planted up. With the price of seed, it pays to do all we can to extend its life.

Dorine

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
Mark do you do anything special to them when you take them out of the freezer and before planting? I kept mine in the fridge last year. Maybe this year I will try the freezer.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mark W

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:13 AM »
Darline, probably the only thing I do before i put my seed in the freezer is to put them in a plastic bag or container. Freezers are known to go out when you least expect them and you wouldn't want things melting and getting your seeds wet. (Had that happen before) I do have some in those plastic containers that has the lids on them as well for I  have quite a few seeds to protect. Just try to keep them dry and they should be fine.