Author Topic: Call upon the name of the Lord  (Read 9250 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Call upon the name of the Lord
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Rom 10:13  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Tonight while reading I was reminded of something that happened a few years back now but thought some might be encouraged. My wife and I were traveling out of town. While the roads where clear it was snowing. It was after dark and on a very busy highway when all the sudden a large chunk of snow/ice that probably fallen off a truck appeared right in our path. I swerved a tiny but really couldn't avoid it. For a split second I thought we were going to be ok but then the car slide one way and in attempt to correct we slide the other. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I was not in control of the car and I remember in utter desperation I called out... "Jesus, save us!". At that point the car straightened up and all of the sudden we came to rest on the shoulder perfectly parallel to the road. I got out to assess the damage and discovered a blown tire.

I would have been perfectly happy with just being alive but the blessings didn't stop there. I didn't want to change the tire in the dark on the side of a busy highway without some kind of protection so I called 911 and asked if a cop would come and park his car behind us with lights going. Not 10 minutes later a cop showed up and I began to change the tire. However, in doing this I discovered a 2nd blown tire. One in front and one in back. At that point the police officer was gracious enough to help us find a repair shop that would help us after hours. So we threw both tires in his trunk and he drove us to the repair shop. After the police officer left the shop owner told me that he had never seen in his life a state trooper around there actually give someone a ride.

The Lord is good!!

Their cry arouses Jesus. As the lightning's glare reveals Him, they see the peace of heaven in His face; they read in His glance self-forgetful, tender love, and, their hearts turning to Him, cry, "Lord, save us: we perish."  {DA 335.1}
     Never did a soul utter that cry unheeded. As the disciples grasp their oars to make a last effort, Jesus rises. He stands in the midst of His disciples, while the tempest rages, the waves break over them, and the lightning illuminates His countenance. He lifts His hand, so often employed in deeds of mercy, and says to the angry sea, "Peace, be still."  {DA 335.2} 

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Call upon the name of the Lord
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:44:30 AM »
Amen, Jim! What love, what care!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
Amen! Two blowouts!!!   Blessed to be alive. Amen!   Blessed to get help and get it so quickly!! Blessed to get a ride by the highway patrol. Never heard of it!  They call 3A or a tow truck for you.  :(     God loves you, Jim!!  Thanks for sharing. God is alive and well and wants us to know that He loves us and is caring for us.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

wigina

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Amen! as the work draws to a close, He knows He has to protect us more and more. Jesus saves let's praise Him always

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
This Sabbath morning I am home sick :(  I thought this was the perfect time to do something I've always wanted to do but never took the time and that is to start a file and right down for remembrance purposes all the miracles and answered prayers I've experienced as I remember them. I pray that this will be a file that keeps growing. In doing so I thought I'd share another testimony with my friends here. I looked but didn't see where if I've shared this before here or not so here it goes.

One summer over 20 years ago my father was sick with cancer from which he never recovered.  One day I was given the responsibility of taking the family cat to the vet. However, I stopped by the credit union on my way and the cat jumped out of the car and ran off. I searched and searched the local neighborhoods and in desperation I prayed to God to help me find her. Not only just because I loved the family cat but because I didn’t want to be responsible for adding more sorrow to our home. The next house I walked by I noticed that the people were having a garage sale so I walked up to them and told them my story. Well one of the guys there was a hunter who used dogs. He told me that when he looses a dog he’ll put his coat or shirt on the ground and come back the next day and his dog always finds it and stays and suggested that I give that a try. So I quickly drove home and got a shirt out of the dirty laundry (as I wanted it to smell like me) and took it back to a wooded area where I saw our cat run into at one time. I found a spot and laid my shirt down on the ground and left. The next day I think it was mid afternoon I went back to look hoping and praying the whole time. Even before I got to the wooded area I could our cat meowing at the top of her lungs and sure enough when I got there she was standing on my shirt that I placed there the day before. The Lord is good is He not!!!???

Psa 135:3  Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
What a wonderful story! I shared it with the family.

A few years ago I did the same thing you did today, writing down testimonies of answered prayers. I did it as a remembrance for our child. When you lose parents it's always nice to have a keepsake, and that is the best thing that I could think to leave him.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:01:15 AM »
Beautiful!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »
Amen! God is very good!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
I believe the Lord arranges things just for us when we need it. He knows how physically weak we can become especially during strenuous times of trial. At times a realization of arrangements can appear what would have been anyway, but thinking on it, I am convinced the Lord intervened and what would have been, changed in a display of heavenly mercy on our pitiful souls.

Late yesterday afternoon I returned home after a very difficult and emotional week away. To see "home" on the horizon was more than a welcome thing to behold. The car was loaded and had to be emptied and I wondered where my strength would come from. One foot in front of the other along with a prayer for help. It got done. Then it was discovered that there was no heat in the house. The temperature read in blinking numbers, 66, yet the furnace did not come on with warm air. I took out the wood stove to have a year off without soot and smoke, so the reliance upon an electrical furnace blowing propane-warmed air is all we have - well, with the exception of a space heater or two.

So I ran to the equipment room to check on things and the pilot light was not on and upon trying to light it several times, it would not remain lit. The thermo couple was dead. It was literally 4:50 PM on a Friday afternoon, so I called the propane company. "Sorry, everyone is gone and we do not work weekends." I called a mechanical company and got the same answer. Nothing could happen until Monday. By 5 o'clock, I was out of options. The needy family living with me numbers 4 and then there is my grandson ... what to do? A snow storm is due and the temperatures are forecasted to drop into the 20s. How will we stay warm?

God knows.  :)

Quickly, I gathered two oil-filled heaters and plugged them in and told them to do the job. Commanded would be a better word! LOL Then, I soaked a load of towels, rung them out and threw them in the dryer and turned it on with the 20-foot hose extended into the great room to reach as many bodies as possible during this ordeal. After those wet towels were dried, they got dosed again and so the cycle began as the sun set in the west. This morning, the action was repeated and has been all day long. It is working. Our home is warm and better than that, it is nice humid warmth, the kind the body needs.

But what about the weather and the snow storm? It is still coming, only 100 miles away to the west. The temperature outside the kitchen window says 60 when the weather service is reporting 47. And we are always 5 to 10 degrees colder than the NWS reports. Explain that if not divine intervention.

I am convinced tomorrow will be the same experience, through to Monday morning.

Call upon the name of the Lord and He will help you! Amen and amen! Thank you, Lord Jesus!     

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »
Amen! When Satan pours it on, then God reveals His love and power in being our Fortress! God loves you, Mimi!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »
With continued amazement, all I can say is: Yes, He does! He loves all of us!

Vicki

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »
 :)  My heart is rejoicing with your heart!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 08:18:47 AM »
The Lord is good. There is no doubt about that! I'm happy that you're comfy despite the circumstances.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
 :) Thank you! Today we have given the towels a rest and have begun washing/drying everything in sight!

What an experience!  ;)

Sister Dee

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
I was just sitting here thinking that I wished I'd done that earlier this year when we were without heat one cold night and day.  And then I remembered that my dryer is out in the garage!  So, I guess that wouldn't have worked for us!   ;)

We are also rejoicing with you, Mimi!  Glad you are staying warm and getting your clean laundry dried at the same time!   ;D 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
Amen! Yes!

The technician just left and we have central heat once more!

On my "To Do List" is to have thermo couples in supply and learn how to install them. Then, reinstall a wood stove for backup.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen!!  If the electricity went down, then the electric dryer would not suffice!  :)     It seems that in your climate a wood stove is necessary as a backup.  Did you watch the service man install the thermocouple? Most of the time, they are not too difficult, but some are hard to reach and there are some little "tricks" to know.  If you did not watch him, call him back and tell him that in an emergency, when they will not come out, you need to know how to do it. Ask him if that is possible.  And while you are looking at the thermocouple, have him tell you if there is something you need to know. Since you just paid him, he may have mercy on you and take a few minutes to explain the easy way to do it.  If not, then use a different company next time.  There ought to be something online for your furnace explaining where the thermocouple is located and maybe even a remove and replace instruction with a diagram.

I just had to have a tech replace one for me. It was not easy. Much had to be removed in order to change out the defective one. On the other hand, to save money, if I can do it, I do it. In working with a gas furnace, safety is an issue, but generally the thermocouple does not involve the gas. So, it is something that many may be able to do themselves.

We are happy that you do not have to continue laboring with clothes and paying the high cost of heating with electricity!  :)  You must have all of your clothes washed and dried!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
I do, thank you. And that includes blankets, quilts, curtains, backpacks and sleeping bags! We are cleaned up!

Solar needs to be considered at this late date because of my heavy dependency on electricity. The well is also dependent upon a pump. So, no electricity, no heat or water. Not a good spot to be in.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »
Check out youtube RE installing and replacing thermocouples - some teenager probably has an upload somewhere.  ;D
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
Yep - there probably is!  ;D