Author Topic: Facebook Security Hole  (Read 5902 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Facebook Security Hole
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »
Firesheep opens big Facebook privacy hole

A new Firefox extension called Firesheep makes it possible for anyone on an open WiFi network to access log-in information for sites like Facebook and Twitter from other computers on the network.

It's a stunning privacy breach that exploits a well-known hole in secure data transmission.

Each time you log in to a site like Facebook, your username and password are transmitted securely, but then the site returns a "cookie" -- a temporary Internet file -- to your machine. This cookie contains your log-in information so that you don't have to re-enter your password with each click you make on the Web site.

Firesheep developer Eric Butler said on his Web site that the extension is designed "to demonstrate just how serious this problem is."

While using Firesheep, a window opens and as other computers on the WiFi network log in to secure Web sites, you get a notification that someone's account is ready for you. Just double click on the person's name and their Facebook account opens up.

Just like that.

For Full Article Click Here
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
Re: Facebook Security Hole
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
Why you should never trust Facebook

Facebook has a dismal reputation when it comes to privacy issues. This is evidently a problem that starts at the top, with Facebook co-founder, President, and CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Nick Bilton summed it up neatly in a Tweet:

Off record chat w/ Facebook employee.
    Me: How does Zuck feel about privacy?
    Response: [laughter] He doesn’t believe in it.

This has manifested in a number of ways that show significant negligence, sometimes to the point of appearing to be hostility, toward issues of Facebook users’ privacy. Lifehacker reported that “Facebook ‘Delete’ Can Take 16 Embarrassing Months,” for instance.

It gets bigger than that. The Wall Street Journal reports, in its article, Facebook in Privacy Breach, that many of the most popular Facebook apps have been giving users’ identifying information — and that of their Facebook friends — to advertising and Internet data mining companies:

Click Here For Full Article
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
I have tried to point this out in the past. We need to better understand the dangers of participating in these "free" offers. This man does not care about privacy. He will sell your privacy and his soul to make money off of your information.

Facebook is trying to gather into one place all texting, email, etc. Why? So they can compete with Google as the great computer in the sky that can reveal all there is to know about you and me. Google is not making billions in giving away everything for nothing. They know more about you than you think. I have seen the results of their computers sifting through information and they are very advanced. They will transcribe cell phone calls and all that is in that conversation is related to the names involved and they piece it together with all the emails, texting, voice mail, video conferencing, and any other messaging methods that they offer. It is rather amazing what technology and money can do. You don't not have to be a Google client and they have you, if you call, email, text someone who is using Google services.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Tamara

• humble servant
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
I do not like the lack of security on the internet at all, but I still hold to the principal that everything I say and do and post should not be destructive and nothing I write or say should be upsetting or defemating to the glory of christ. If I couldn't say it in person and if I dont feel comfortable with people reading or hear it, it is not said. That is the best policy...
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
Yes, it is, Tamara.

You left out one thing, Richard, even though you were thorough. Google Earth. They have photographs of our front doors. How weird is that? It's great to have maps, but come on ... anyone can now get directions to our homes, up to and including our front door! My stars!

On a related matter, I wonder when the database of Amazon's internal tracking system is exposed to reveal our activities there? For years I have hated the page they display showing my likes based on past purchase history and results of various searches. It tempts me to throw them a curve ball with a kinked-out search a few times so it can profoundly alter my current profile.  :P
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
Facebook has leaked access to millions of users' photographs, profiles and other personal information because of a years-old bug that overrides individual privacy settings, researchers from Symantec said.

The flaw, which the researchers estimate has affected hundreds of thousands of applications, exposed user access tokens to advertisers and others. The tokens serve as a spare set of keys that Facebook apps use to perform certain actions on behalf of the user, such as posting messages to a Facebook wall or sending RSVP replies to invitations. For years, many apps that rely on an older form of user authentication turned over these keys to third parties, giving them the ability to access information users specifically designated as off limits.

Source

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
But they are so nice ........  ::)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:40:20 AM »
Hacker Vows to Kill Facebook  For all the right reasons, mind you.

(CNN) -- Apparently, "Anonymous" won't be accepting your friend request.

Members of the shadowy collective known for its politically motivated Web hacks and attacks are targeting Facebook for what they claim to be the social-networking giant's misuse of personal information.

"Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed," the speaker said in a YouTube video, which was posted July 16 but started circulating widely this week.

Using a voice modulator to disguise his (or her) voice, the speaker, who purports to represent Anonymous, invites viewers to "join the cause and kill Facebook for the sake of your own privacy."

"Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your privacy settings, and deleting your account is impossible," the speaker says. "Even if you delete your account, all your information stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time."

More on this story

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »
Better facebook privacy with a single setting in facebook...

http://www.komando.com/tips/

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Better facebook privacy with a single setting in facebook...

http://www.komando.com/tips/

I went, I read, and found nothing about FB. Firefox and other browsers, yes. Did you mean to put this in the Firefox topic?
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

carls365

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »
Here's a list of articles, it's the first one about FB privacy and platform.

http://www.komando.com/tips/categories.aspx?cat=68

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »
I went, I read, and found nothing about FB. Firefox and other browsers, yes. Did you mean to put this in the Firefox topic?

Sorry... I was afraid this might happen. It happened to be the tip of the day and looking at the url I kinda wondered if it would change before some got to click on it to read. I'll if carl found the one I intended if not I'll do some searching to see if it's archived somewhere.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
This was a big one. It doesn't matter whether you have a FB page or not.

Facebook: Where Your Friends Are Your Worst Enemies

Also read the followup. The link is in a comment at the bottom of the above linked article.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

ltvvaughn

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
All this is on top of all the metadata that the government is collecting.  But they really don't have to work that hard.  The director of the CIA testified before congress that Facebook has made their job much easier because of all the personal information people put on their Facebook page.  I remember using Facebook several times when I worked for the police department.  Its amazing what people will put out there for anyone to see.  Big brother is here in many respects.  All the electronic data is out there for the perusing.  Just think of everything that is out there on you.  All your credit card purchases, where you buy gas, motel rooms you have rented, where you buy food with your ATM, the utilities you pay using credit, ATM, or automatic bank draft.  The cell companies can tell where you are at any given moment with amazing accuracy, there are programs/apps that can tell anyone where you are and even allow them to listen in to your conversations even if your phone is turned off.  Not to mention the sophisticated, stationary, pole mounted radar devices along the interstate highways that can tell the volume of every vehicle that passes, how many occupants, speed of the vehicle, volume of the vehicle, length, width, etc. . . and who knows who is looking at all this data.  Not to mention the satellite surveillance that is occurring every day in nearly every inch of this country.  If they want to find you, the infrastructure is there.  I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, I'm just relaying the information I know from my local government experience.  If I know about all of this, how much more does the federal government know and have access to?  Kind of sobering.

But we need not fear "what man can do unto me."  We know that there are angels that are ready and able to protect God's people!  The power of the government of man can't compare to the power of the government of God.

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
The power of the government of man can't compare to the power of the government of God.

Amen!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »
I like that!  If God be for us who can be against us!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.