Author Topic: Computer Dying  (Read 3737 times)

carls365

Computer Dying
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
Well, last Friday morning I went to boot up and heard a unusual sound, click, click, click, from inside the computer, a few moments later a black screen saying "Primary drive not found" I think the clicking was the arm in the HD not able to find the files.

Anyway tried booting six more times and same results, so I let it sit for a while and later decided to try one last time, amazingly it booted this time. So spent the next couple hours copying all the latest important files especially images to the SDcard.

Without delay while this failing machine was luckily running, I ordered a new Dell it's well past time, this computer is going on 12 years old. Hopefully I'll get as much use out of the new machine as I did with this old one. I may try replacing the HD in the old Dell and use it as a second computer or something, I don't know yet.

I learned my lesson from a old Gateway I had before the old Dell. It too made sounds in the HD for weeks but I lazily thought well probably nothing and kept using it. One morning the blue screen of death, the HD failed . I wasn't so luckily, it never started again.

It sure is a strange feeling with the computer not working, you ask yourself "what now?" no news, no email, no reading the lastest posts, nothing. And suddenly thoughts of doing crazy things like running to the library to rent their computer and using a paper phone book!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Computer Dying
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »
We feel your pain, Carl! Once upon a time, my external drive began that same click. Everything from my older computer was on that drive. I lost it all. That was before I got a computer with a drive that could burn backup CDs. That tells you how long I kept the old thing.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

carls365

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:59 AM »
We feel your pain, Carl! Once upon a time, my external drive began that same click. Everything from my older computer was on that drive. I lost it all. That was before I got a computer with a drive that could burn backup CDs. That tells you how long I kept the old thing.

Yes Mimi, the thing that amazes me the most is how fast 12 years seemed to fly. Still clearly remember in 2001 thinking which of these Dell's should I get? When it came, clearing space for it on the table and the way it was blazing fast...wow! now the poor thing's life is about gone, ready for chip heaven!

The photos are the most precious to me, there are shots of the kitties when they were a few months old, mother, father, and lot of never to be taken again memories.

This new computer coming has 8GB ram and 1TB HD so perhaps I can store lots of videos.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »
I've been to that HD crash place myself. For me it wasn't a huge problem. The computer had a slave drive, so I removed the old C drive, changed the slave to the master, installed Windows, and was back in business. I had everything of mine backed up. Hubby didn't. He was almost desperate, trying to get his stuff back. He never did. Even now he doesn't back up (lesson not learned?), even with his new computer (a year old). Sometimes I remind him, but he still doesn't backup. I use 2 EHD's and back up. Some things go to DVD, but I have to use an external drive for that as the internal is dead.

My Dell is now 7 years old, but sat for 2 years unused because of a virus. I was using a laptop instead. I finally had it fixed last year and installed a 2T slave drive. I keep all my files on the 2T and programs/OS on the master.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
What a blessing to be reminded to back up!   Thanks!  The backup keeps filling up!! :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

carls365

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »
I've used only about 60 GB of space all these years, so, I figured I'll never even use a quarter of the 1TB. Also someone told me the bigger the drive, the longer defrag will take to run. I'll have to see about a slave drive Linda.

Buying computers will drive you crazy in a way, for only $50 more you get this, for another $50 you get this much more and so on until you've built up a $1200 machine from a basic $400 one.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:46:24 PM »
Unless you have a special need, $600 ought to be enough. I am doing video editing on my xp machine. Sure, it could be better.  :)  But, the point is that speed costs money. Some need it, some don't. I always wait a year before buying a new processor. It's like buying a new car. You want the latest model, you pay for it. For some whose time is expensive, it makes sense. I work for a dollar an hour.  The xp works!  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

carls365

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »
Unless you have a special need, $600 ought to be enough. I am doing video editing on my xp machine. Sure, it could be better.  :)  But, the point is that speed costs money. Some need it, some don't. I always wait a year before buying a new processor. It's like buying a new car. You want the latest model, you pay for it. For some whose time is expensive, it makes sense. I work for a dollar an hour.  The xp works!  :)

Right on the mark Richard! $600 that's exactly what I paid including Ca. tax. But whatever, I wanted as much ram as possible because in the old Dell, I had to add 2GB and still it was on the slow side. The other components on the new Dell, there's not much choice, it comes with Windows 8, 1TB or 2TB drive, 4 or 8 USB ports, RW DVD drive.

I haven't worked with video at all, but, I have some VHS and 10mm tapes I must transfer to DVD. I'd like to do it myself but they also have services that will do it for you. Of course if I had a service do it, I'll have to make backup copies before giving it to them.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
I've been to that HD crash place myself. For me it wasn't a huge problem. The computer had a slave drive, so I removed the old C drive, changed the slave to the master, installed Windows, and was back in business. I had everything of mine backed up. Hubby didn't. He was almost desperate, trying to get his stuff back. He never did. Even now he doesn't back up (lesson not learned?), even with his new computer (a year old). Sometimes I remind him, but he still doesn't backup. I use 2 EHD's and back up. Some things go to DVD, but I have to use an external drive for that as the internal is dead.

My Dell is now 7 years old, but sat for 2 years unused because of a virus. I was using a laptop instead. I finally had it fixed last year and installed a 2T slave drive. I keep all my files on the 2T and programs/OS on the master.

You have it down pat, sister!

For me the problem was not the EHD, it was my children who kept using it as if it was theirs and then one day, the clicks began and nothing could be accessed. Maybe one day they will realize not everything that is mine is, in fact, theirs.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89