Author Topic: Custom Greenhouse  (Read 9838 times)

Mark W

Custom Greenhouse
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
Hello all, thought I would post a few pics of my winter project that is pretty much complete. I do have a few things I could still do to it but it is functional. It is nothing fancy but as you see it I only have $400 in it. The glass on the roof is tempered and is the third greenhouse it has been on, and the side glass is double pained low E glass which was free as well. I always go with this style of greenhouse for they are much more efficient to heat then a all glass one. For here in Missouri, it can get downright nippy some nights.
The back part has isolation which I covered with tin to keep from burning this one down. It might not look the greatest for interior wall covering but it was free. As well you see my 9 flat heated table I need for the nightshades.
It has a double row of shelves that I can utilize and all made out of redwood and western cedar and again free. I have enough bench space for 64 1020 flats which equal a whole bunch of plants.

But the project would not be complete without some kind of office, so yes I had to add a little primitive office cubicle to work at and yes type at like I am doing now. I can keep a few things organized and as well have a quite place to study and practice sermons.
To me it is a great place to retreat to when need be, but the best part is that to me it is like a little part of heaven in my own back yard for I just love watching and facilitating in the recreation of life like these little babies.

Hope all is well and remember, spring will be here soon. God bless

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Custom Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Wow! Good work, Mark!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
Very nice!! It is pretty fancy even though you have used some used material.  It is actually quite beautiful!! I like the metal base and back. Is the back roof solid rather than glass?

What do you use for supplemental heat? Do you have any heatsinks? Is all of the glass fixed?

I can't see a top plate. How did you attach the glass to the rafters? Glue?  Is it about 400 sq ft?

We all want to copy your pattern!! 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:13:41 AM »
 :D Richard knows us well, and indeed, we do!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »
Just in case someone missed it, here is Mark's winter project.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »

Richard, thanks for the complement, but really I owe the talent of being able to build and picture a plan in my mind to the one that gives such gifts. It did turn out really well for considering the materials. But some of those materials I have been storing for over five years just waiting for the right opportunity to utilize them. I don’t know if I would go so far as to call it fancy lol, but it will definitely serve the purpose. Actually the side glass is brand new but yet was in the right place at the right time and got it for free. Same as with the green metal, for I did a roof job last year and the company that the lumber yard gets metal from sent too much so it ended up given to me. All I bought was the treated lumber for the glass part, silicone, screws, and some concrete.

It measures 16’ X 17’ which equals almost 275 square ft. which is plenty big for what I want to do with it for I am mainly a hobby gardener now, just raising for food. But actually it is 100 sq. ft. bigger then my old seed starting greenhouse and I raised thousands and thousands of plants out of it.

You like the metal around the base do you. Well my old one was earth contact and what you see as metal now would have been under the ground. But even now there is no reason to put glass down below where the lowest bench is, so I opted to do it this way and as well save glass. As well, yes the back 7 feet has a metal roof. This helps with the heating considerably and as you see gives me a place for my germinating table, some storage, stove, and the office. All the shelves are placed under the glass part for obvious reasons and as well still have ample floor room for seed starting mix, transplanting table, and chair. 

The glass its self was glued down to the rafters with high grade silicone. I made some aluminum brackets to hold the first run of glass from sliding till the silicone dried, and actually to hold all the glass from sliding down till it dried. As well it has redwood strips that are held down with silicone and little stainless steel nails for added security. The spacing of the rafters was laid out to the width of my tempered glass plus a ¼ inch for the nails, but you would just have to space them accordingly to whatever size you needed. The side panes set on a treated 2X8 and are held in place by what they call Z bar metal flashing. Was not made for this type of application, but it worked great giving it something to rest against and something to silicone too. The white stuff on the gable sides is billboard material which came from the local 3M plant which of course was free, but plan on putting some polycarbonate panels up there one of these day but will wait till the season is over. 

You ask about heat and I will tell you I heat with wood. Around where I live, hardwood is very plentiful, so that is what I use. I totally heat the house and all with it. Anything to save money right? I had a big stove I used to use to heat my tunnel greenhouse in the winter, but since I haven’t done that for a few years I thought I might as well utilize it in this one. I like to keep it around 80 deg. At all times just for the little ones, but I installed a thermostat and exhaust fan for when it starts to get to hot.   

You said “We all want to copy your pattern!!” Well I would have to draw one up. For you see when I started gathering up the material even many years ago, I could picture in my mind what it would look like. At every step of the way the only plans I referred to was the ones in my head. So long story short I have no written plans. If anyone was serious about wanting to build one, I would gladly draw some up and as well, if they needed any help I would be more than willing to yack over a phone if the need arose. Hope all this answers your questions, but if not fill free to ask more. God bless

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »
Thank you, for the info, Mark.  God has given you wisdom and provided material that you might be blessed with the greenhouse. It is an encouragement to us all who want to walk in the light that God has given.  I too, have been saving glass for at least five years. I too, got it for free.  :)   And, for those who are contemplating doing the same, notice that Mark used tempered glass, at least for the overhead glass. Otherwise it would be very dangerous. Even some of the side glass may need to be tempered. 

As the economy worsens, it is harder to get discarded materials. But, God knows our needs. He has promised He will provide for all of our needs.  What Mark has done is an example of what God will do for those who love Him and walk in the counsels He has given. Mark gave the glory to God. He is the one who has given all for us.

Thanks again, Mark for sharing. 

Mark W

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
I would like to add to what you said about tempered glass. In the 1970s. the gov. for some reason outlawed tempered glass for storm doors, and having a storm door manufacturing plant 20 mile away and they now having tons of glass that could not be used, guess what, we hauled it home. That is why the glass on the roof of my new one is tempered. But my old one had all tempered glass on it which was just fine for it really is some tough stuff. But I will say having the double paned glass on the sides made a huge difference in how it heats. Even though it is bigger, it is a lot more efficient. As you pointed out  safety should be an issue to think about when using glass which is why I have wrap around benches around the inside perimeter of glass. Don't want no accidental falling through while inside anyway. So yes be safe and think things out, not only in greenhouse construction but in all things. God bless.

Mark W

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
Thought you might want to see what added feature I got done today on the greenhouse. Got my well put in for free water for the darlings. Plus it is a piece of useful yard decor. works real good.

And here is a inside pic I took today.

Getting kind of full. and by the way that is snow out side. Blessings. Mark

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
Beautiful! Just beautiful! That is one useful piece of yard art, Mark!  ;D

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Very nice indeed, Mark.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mark W

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
I will say the pump is set up in a modified 55 gallon plastic barrel that catches ground seepage if the creek is not running. But this pic shows what its all about for me. Blessings.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »
Very nice, Mark!   God's grace is amazing!  Until Monsanto there was no threat to the method God has given to feed ourselves.

Give us some more info.  What is the first pic with the saw blade? I see a water line, but can't figure out what you have made.  How do you get water out of the stream?  Electric pump?

And, how are you heating the greenhouse now? 

Have you ever considered using some kind of movable insulation at night?

Mark W

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
The plastic PVC pipe on the end of the hand pump is a water cylinder that I fabricated for the old ones worked with leather flappers but this one works with check valves. I first drilled a 24" hole 3' deep to accommodate the plastic 55 gallon barrel and after modifying it, fitted it in the whole. They say pictures are worth a thousand words so here are a few pics if you don't mind.

The barrel has the bottom out of it as well and was set lower then the water line in the creek. So if water is in the creek, it is over the barrel. But the holes in the sides are for seepage to come in when the creek has no water. Where it is located the water table in the ground stays up quite high, which will let me use it all spring for the most part to water my plants. During the summer i will use the electric well for my water needs. 
The saw blade was just a base I used to weld the threaded pipe for the pump its self. and as well be a lid and platform for the cistern.  You know use what you got laying around instead of buying it. The pump mounted is not a high volume pump, but was free and is still able to pump a gallon with 6 pumps of the handle. I think the best thing is that it is usable yard decor as well as a play toy for the youngest boy. When i was growing up there were very few in the country that still worked. So when I told the boy about it, he just had to try it out and I know he has pumped on it for an hour in the last few days, so I guess the memories was worth the trouble.

Now about the heat source. I am still heating with wood for I am surrounded by it and pretty much free except for the gas, oil, and time. And if you have ever used wood, it is hard to go to something else. Here is a pic of it which is quite big for the greenhouse size but it gets the job done.

If considering some kind of removable insulation, you might consider bubble wrap. I never used it but any time you have trapped dead air space, you have an R value. But regular plastic row cover will give you a few more deg. of added protection. Got to go for now and I hope I answered your questions and not created more. Blessings, Mark

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
Thanks. I now see the handle on the pump.  I am waiting for my glasses to be finished. Now, it all makes sense. And when there is no electricity, you can still get water. Very good.

How long do you have to keep a fire going?

Mark W

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
The fire hasn't went out for almost two months. Sometimes you can let it go down like today it is in the sixties. and as well when the sun is out bright. But always try to keep it around 80 deg. all the time for max growth of the youngens. I have over 500 peppers out side right now to cool off and slow down, plus they got a good rain on then last night. Bu here in Missouri the weather is not predictable for they are calling for snow again Monday so the way it goes.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
Not good! More snow!

Do you have a heat sink in the greenhouse?

Dorine

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »
Some of you may remember that my greenhouse was destroyed last fall in a storm. Thought I'd post a picture of it and then the new one the sons-in-law built for me. 

This one won't blow away. The doors aren't finished but I've got it full of transplants anyway. After seeing Mark's wonderful production I was hesitant to post this but I had to share my excitment. Mark's is a dream that I will never realize so I will be content with what I have and continue to enjoy seeing the fruit of his and other's labours.  :)
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mark W

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
Dorine, many times we might look at the beauty of something, but we have to remember the more important factor with things like this and that is functionality. And it sounds like, yours is serving its purpose quite nicely. Maybe one of these days I will scan and post a pic of my very first one that pails visually with the one you have posted, but yet it served its purpose and that is the main thing. Hope it blesses you with many hours of enjoyment like mine has done for me and as well I hope your plants get the start they need to grow and flourish in your garden this year. God bless.

Dorine

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »
Thank you Mark for your encouraging words. I look forward to seeing a picture of your beginnings. Do you plant anything in your present greenhouse to grow or do you use it for just starting seeds. Also how are you supporting your shelves? Do you have a special potting mix recipe? Sorry for the questions. I'm still learning and like to hear of others experiences.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14