Author Topic: pancakes  (Read 3619 times)

colporteur

pancakes
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
We have used non aluminum baking powder for pancakes for some time. Is there a more healthy alternative to make them rise?  Does food grade hydrogen peroxide work and is it healthy? I remember years ago experimenting one time with hydrogen peroxide while making a cake. It worked well. One can make pancakes without any leavening agent but they tend to be more like Frisbees than food.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: pancakes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
I switched to waffles when I found out the injurious effects of baking soda and powder.  But, we make crepes that are very good using the same recipe that we use for waffles.  Gems relied upon the heat of the cast iron pans to raise bread.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
I switched to waffles when I found out the injurious effects of baking soda and powder.  But, we make crepes that are very good using the same recipe that we use for waffles.  Gems relied upon the heat of the cast iron pans to raise bread.

I have heard some time ago that there is a problem even with Aluminum free baking powder but forget what it is.
Do you have an electric waffle iron that is cast iron ? Do you use oil with it ? We have gone with  Grape seed oil for cooking.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »
Here is the discussion on baking powder and baking soda.

We had one that was not coated, but it broke, so we now use a coated one.  We are careful to not overheat it.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:26:35 AM »
Colporteur, there is a nice yeast-raised pancake recipe in "Choices: Quick and Healthy Cooking" that I like. Maybe you have this book. I got mine from my magabooking days.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
Colporteur, there is a nice yeast-raised pancake recipe in "Choices: Quick and Healthy Cooking" that I like. Maybe you have this book. I got mine from my magabooking days.

Thanks, PA.
I'm wondering if the yeast is killed in the process. While the pan is hot the pancake may not be hot enough long enough in the center to kill the yeast. If, not, it would be best to reheat and eat the pancake the next day. I believe such, as with pizza crust in the oven it takes 400 -450 degrees for 15 minutes to assure all of the yeast is zapped.

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:19:00 PM »

Is anyone versed on the effectiveness of mineral water containing Silicic acid  for removing aluminum from the body/brain ?

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »

Is anyone versed on the effectiveness of mineral water containing Silicic acid  for removing aluminum from the body/brain ?

I would suggest looking at the primary antagonist relationships.

For example, zinc is often cited as an effective agent in removing toxic metals from the body, and various people have written about this, for instance the late Andrew Hall Cutler.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
The waffles are light and fluffy without a rising agent. Also, in Ellen White's day, they made "gems" I believe they were called. They heated cast iron pan with separate chambers. The hot metal caused the mix to rise, just like the waffle iron does. Adding cooked rice to rolled oats will cause the waffles to be very light. In fact one must be careful to not add to much or else the mix will run out of the waffle iron.  :)