Author Topic: Winter Projects  (Read 5107 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Winter Projects
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
What can we do in the Winter that will benefit our gardens?

One thing that I plan on doing now that the clay soil is soft from the winter rains, is to dig my ditches and holes for planting.  Now, is easy, in the summer it is one hundred times as hard. Not to mention the heat!  :)   I have to run a water line some distance and I want to plant a few shrubs in the ground. So, now is the time to do it. 

It is also time to plan what we will be doing come spring...or even before. We need to get our seeds so we can begin them indoors to get a good jump come spring time. We can make things a lot better if we take the time to plan now. It is not time to start seeds, but to begin planning.

Another project I am working on today is the protection of my young citrus that are still in containers. I have moved them to the south side of my home so they will be protected from the north wind and will be getting as much sun as possible. We had a pretty good frost last night, so a freeze will come soon. I have grouped them all together so I can cover them together and provide heat from lamps when it is going to freeze. I am off to the store to buy pipe wrap, not to wrap pipes, but to wrap the trunks of these young trees.  Citrus will do well here if they can get a large trunk for protection from freezes. It is hard to get them up to size. A winter with long periods of freezing will kill the young citrus trees.  Larger trees will die back, but if the trunk is thick enough, it will come back.

Another concern is the watering of pots outdoors and indoors. I have moved three of my favorite plants indoors.  Two bougainvilleas, and my mandevilla.  They needed to be pruned back. When there is no rain, then the outdoor pots need water. The indoor plants brought in generally need very little water, but an eye needs to be kept on them also. I found a very short video of a mandevilla if you are wondering what it is.  :)

Mandevilla

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
Re: Winter Projects
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
what is the micro climate zone you are in ?     Sounds like a nearly Mobile AL zone climate. 

Have you ever tried in the back yard,putting down Styrofoam sheets on the ground to set the pots on, making a tepee out of bamboo and plastic - running some lights into the tepee and during the night wrapping a blanket over the plastic, secured with bungee cords, as a movable shelter for container plants like young citrus ? 

Or prebuilt tall row cover with heat source ( thermostat controlled seed starter mat ) using Styrofoam sheets to set the pots on ?
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
We are in zones 8 or 9. 

No, the citrus are just temporary until they get a little more size on their trunks. I lost a bunch many years ago when I planted then in the ground and a hard freeze came along. One or two can be protected, but if you have too many in the ground, it is difficult, they are spread out. I am enjoying the bougainvillea inside. Last year they bloomed indoors.

I planted a bougainvillea in the ground and am going to try and keep the roots alive. Any ideas, Ed? What is the best way to insulate the ground where the roots are?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:06 AM »
My winter project has begun. A few years ago my small glass seed germinating greenhouse burned when a fan overheated and caught it on fire. Finally decided to get around and build another one for i just love working with the little girls (seedlings). Use to be in the plant retail business because I love working with plants, but it was a lot of work, so I have downsized a bit and only sell a few extras to pay for new varieties of seed. I try to only plant open pollinated so I can save the seed year after year, but still seems like I buy to many new varieties to try each year. I'm shooting for at least 15 varieties of tomato's this year, but it could be more.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
Okay!  ;D You have our attention. It has been my heart's desire to successfully grow just one variety of tomatoes and here we have one who is excels in knowledge and practice, aiming for at least 15. What a blessing!

Talk to us about your greenhouse and your methods, if you feel at liberty to do so. I just received my first load of organic compost filled with glorious worms, but living at a very high altitude with a very short growing season, I need to work efficiently. My plan is to begin with cold frames and eventually move into a reasonably sized greenhouse. Any tips will be greatly appreciated! 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mark W

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:15 AM »
Well if you live in a hot and humid summer climate like I live in here in West Central Missouri, you would find it to be very easy to grow tomatoes.  And on the greenhouse, I will post some pics and details when I get it done. Hopefully by the time peppers need seeded in mid Feb. You mentioned a cold frame and may I say that for the average home gardener a cold frame should work out fine for their seed starting needs. As long as you have the heat when it in cold and ventilation when it is hot. I still use cold frames when bedding down sweet potatoes for slips, so they have their uses.

But I just love a green house. My old one was 12’x14’ but it would sometimes get too crowded before it was time to transfer the plants to the bigger hoop house for hardening off. My new one will be about 16’x16’ so it will have better accommodations for my darlings. I just love being out in it and watching and aiding in the recreation process of the plant life God has created. Just so rewarding to be able to plant the seeds, water, transplant, and nurture them into beautiful plants. To me it is like a little taste of heaven confined within glass walls. I like talking to them and playing soft gospel music to them and in return they got to listen to me practice sermons once in a while.

By the way, why I am growing all those tomatoes is because I had a freezer problem last year that resulted in the loss of most of my seed supply. So I am planting again this year to replenish my seed stock. I try to plant only those varieties that I can save seed out of, not any of those “divers varieties.” 

I would try and answer garden questions if some arise. I’m not a master gardener by no means, but have studied it and practiced it most my life. I would post a pic of me a few years ago at the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Spring garden festival (Google then they have a catalog) trying to get rid of a few extras and pay for some seed, but I have not figured out the image thing. God bless

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
I would post a pic of me a few years ago ... but I have not figured out the image thing.

You need to use Photobucket. When you have your photo uploaded there, click on the "IMG Code" to the right of the picture to copy it, then come back here and paste it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
Mark, here is some help on posting photos.  practice

Mark W

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
 Well I had to think whether I needed a account at photo bucket, but I said I would post a pic so here it is I think. At least you can visualize a face with a post. This photo was taken a few years ago when trying to get rid of some extra tomato plants at a garden show. Sold over $600 worth in two days, so it paid for my time and seed and not to mention had a swell time meeting people with the same interest in gardening. Green house is coming along slowly, for I got to work on it only after schooling the boys. I guess first things first. With the cold weather we in the Midwest have been having, I am highly anticipating spring. God blessings to all.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »
Mark, it is nice to meet you. Those are some fine tomato plants. I also love what they are sitting on! What is it?  :) We look forward to seeing your progress as spring nears. This is a great encouragement! Thank you!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mark W

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
That contraption was a idea I had to transport the plants to my booth spot for selling. The venders only had 15 minutes to unload and get back out, so I made it to fit in a inclosed trailer. Just parked in the parking lot and drove it out of the trailer and up to the booth site. As well it was a salesman's aid, for no one had ever seen anything like it and would come over to investigate. Then I could throw the sales pitch too them and make a sale. You should have seen the looks I got as I drove it up there. By the way The garden show was on Sunday and Monday for the owner is a Sabbath keeper.

ejclark

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:39:48 AM »
Well I had to think whether I needed a account at photo bucket, but I said I would post a pic so here it is I think. At least you can visualize a face with a post. This photo was taken a few years ago when trying to get rid of some extra tomato plants at a garden show. Sold over $600 worth in two days, so it paid for my time and seed and not to mention had a swell time meeting people with the same interest in gardening. Green house is coming along slowly, for I got to work on it only after schooling the boys. I guess first things first. With the cold weather we in the Midwest have been having, I am highly anticipating spring. God blessings to all.
Looks like Bakercreek.  Looks like you were set up beside the blacksmith.

Mark W

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:47:01 AM »
EJClark, You are right, it was at Bakercreek. Nice little place off the beaten path. And figured I would mention that the two young men at the blacksmith shop are my two boys. Would like to make another trip down there if all goes right this year, but time will tell.

Vicki

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:15:44 AM »
Looks like that would be the same as Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds?

Nice photo, thanks for sharing it. 

ejclark

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
Yes Vicki, one and the same.  Have you been there?

Vicki

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
No. It looks like a great place to visit, though. Mark mentioned the midwest, where I am from, so I was curious what part and searched for "Bakerscreek" and found the seed company. I'll be searching their catalog for spring planting ideas. I'd rather support an SDA seed company than someone else.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »
Moved Mark's post on seed starting. Created a new topic with it   "Seed Starting".