Author Topic: Theology of Ordination Study Committee (TOSC)  (Read 40013 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Theology of Ordination Study Committee (TOSC)
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 06:39:54 PM »
Timelines for the next two months and then, through June 2014.

November 2013—Each division committee at their 2013 year-end meetings reviews the study made by their division biblical research committee and recommends it to the Biblical Research Institute director for consideration by a theology of ordination study committee.

November 2013—The General Conference Administrative Committee appoints a Theology of Ordination Study Committee with appropriate division representation.

December 2013-June 2014—The Theology of Ordination Study Committee analyzes the materials received from the divisions and prepares a combined report.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
North American Division's Theology of Ordination Study Committee Report

NAD Presentation

Theology of Ordination Study Report Accepted - Go to NAD News. http://www.nadadventist.org/churchnewsopen.php
Also see:  http://nadordination.com/

Executive Committee Votes to Receive Report from Theology of Ordination Study Committee

Dwight K. Nelson, a member of the NAD Theology of Ordination Study Committee, presents his report. The rest of the committee members are seated in the background. [Photo by Dan Weber/NAD Communication]

According to Gordon Bietz, president of Southern Adventist University and chair of the North American Division’s Theology of Ordination Study Committee, if you Google the word “ordination” as it relates to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, you will find more than 375,000 hits. Bietz told this to the North American Division (NAD) Executive members at the beginning of the business session on Monday, November 4, 2013, during the North American Division's Year-end Meeting.

Bietz and the Study Committee presented their extensive report to the North American Division Executive Committee from work that began in May 2012. The NAD Theology of Ordination Study Committee was constructed in response to the General Conference’s request for all divisions to put in place a committee to study the theology of ordination and its implications. "As we looked to staff this committee, we sought for balance and different perspectives that will represent all viewpoints of the Division," said G. Alexander Bryant, NAD executive secretary.

Upon the North American Division’s review of the committee’s report, it will then be given to the General Conference's Theology of Ordination Committee along with the other 12 division reports. The 13 division reports will then be synthesized by the General Conference's Theology of Ordination Committee along with other material. After that, the Committee will present the combined report to the 2014 Annual Council.

The following is the timeline as it pertains to the world Church’s timeline regarding the Theology of Ordination:

From December 2013 - June 2014 — The General Conference’s Theology of Ordination Study Committee will analyze the materials received from the divisions and prepares a combined report.
    June 2014 — Report is reviewed by General Conference executive officers.
    June 2014 — Report is reviewed with the President’s Executive Administrative Council (PREXAD) and the General Conference Administrative Committee (ADCOM).
    October 2014 — General Conference administration process the report to the 2014 Annual Council
    October 2014 — Annual Council will review the report and, if needed, take any appropriate action. If voted material needs to be placed on the 2015 General Conference Session agenda, it will be processed accordingly.

Members of the North American Division’s Theology of Ordination Study Committee include:

Gordon Bietz, D.Min., Chairman
President of Southern Adventist University

Kyoshin Ahn, Ph.D.
Associate Secretary, North American Division

Dedrick Blue, D.Min.
Senior Pastor, Northeastern Conference

JoAnn Davidson, Ph.D.
Professor, Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary

Kendra Haloviak-Valentine, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, La Sierra University

Lourdes Morales-Gudmundsson, Ph.D.
Professor, La Sierra University

Dwight Nelson, D.Min.
Pastor, Michigan Conference

Leslie N. Pollard, Ph.D., D.Min
President, Oakwood University

Edwin Reynolds, Ph.D.
Professor, Southern Adventist University

Stephen Richardson, Ph.D.
Ministerial Director, Allegheny East Conference

Russell Seay, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Oakwood University

Tara Vincross, M.Div.
Pastor, Pennsylvania Conference

Clinton Wahlen, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Biblical Research Institute

Ivan Williams, D.Min.
Director, Ministerial Department, North American Division

The NAD’s Theology of Ordination Study Committee is recommending to the NAD Executive Committee:

"That we receive the Biblical study of ordination prepared by the North American Division Theology of Ordination Study Committee and affirm the conclusion that all people, men and women, may receive ordination as an affirmation of the call of God, and that the North American Division support the authorization of each division to consider, through prayer and under the direction of the Holy Spirit, its most appropriate approach to the ordination of women to gospel ministry."

The vote was recorded:
182 people voted yes
31 people voted no
3 people abstained from voting

As stated in the above timeline, the North American Division Executive Committee will follow the guidelines set by the General Conference and present the NAD Study Committee findings to the Annual Council in preparation for the 2015 General Conference Session in San Antonio, Texas.

Listed below are the reports from the NAD's Theology of Ordination Study Committee:

Study Committee Report Here

Introduction trailer video  Here

Theology of Ordination video Here

Concept of Ordination video Here

Hermeneutics video Here

Old Testament Considerations video Here

EGW and Ordination video Here

Conclusion video Here

Minority Report Here

Ellen White, Women in Ministry, and the Ordination of Women Here

Theology of Ordination (PowerPoint Presentation) by Gordan G. Bietz Here

More information can be found at www.nadordination.com.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

ejclark

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Adventist Review report: NAD Executive Committee Recommendation "Affirms" Men and Women for Ordination
The NAD is promoting division by requesting each division to observe ordination in their own way. I'm sorry, but it's not right for Dan Jackson to become my Pope and make my division, union and conference observe women's ordination. That, at best, can only be allowed at a local church by church level. Not even my local conference president has the right to make my church observe women's ordination if our church doesn't want to.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
How does the Church as a whole have unity if everyone does their own thing? If we do not have a path that we all follow....then how can we continue as a Church without a split?
One thing I have always felt good about in my 60 years in the Church is that no matter where we went...we all believed the same. We were united. We knew what we believed and why. But today so many are not interested in being a solid Church. They would rather do their own thing no matter what.
It does not matter if it means leaving the path we were given to follow
It does not matter if it splits the Church
All that matters is what people desire to do.....regardless.
I call this selfishness, greed and pride.
I see this as rebellion and going against the way God has set up the family and His Church.
Sounds like what happened in heaven....the spirit of Satan.
I wonder who's spirit those rebelling are following.
With Christian Love,
Marie

ltvvaughn

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »
     God has invested His church with special authority and power which no one can be justified in disregarding and despising, for he who does this despises the voice of God.--AA 164 (1911). 

As for the spirit they are following, there is only one choice.

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

wigina

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
Judas could have been saved except for the avarice he allowed to build in his heart. what lesson is there that we have not been shown? What experience hasn't been revealed to us? Yet we continue in rebellion. Surely will the Lord be mocked? A Second time?

ltvvaughn

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
(1 Corinthians 10:11)

God's Word has given us these examples so that we will not have to make the same mistakes.  But we have forgotten "the way the Lord has led us, and His teaching in our past history." {CCh 359.4}

LtV
LtV

Lewis

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
How does the Church as a whole have unity if everyone does their own thing? If we do not have a path that we all follow....then how can we continue as a Church without a split?
One thing I have always felt good about in my 60 years in the Church is that no matter where we went...we all believed the same. We were united. We knew what we believed and why. But today so many are not interested in being a solid Church. They would rather do their own thing no matter what.
It does not matter if it means leaving the path we were given to follow
It does not matter if it splits the Church
All that matters is what people desire to do.....regardless.
I call this selfishness, greed and pride.
I see this as rebellion and going against the way God has set up the family and His Church.
Sounds like what happened in heaven....the spirit of Satan.
I wonder who's spirit those rebelling are following.

I agree! No consistency or order... confusion.

With God there is no confusion. God has order in all things and is precisely consistent! I like order and consistency as well.

wigina

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
The Jerusalem council was respected and the verdict from there was adhered to! Is SECC and by extension NAD reading my Bible or they have their own?

ltvvaughn

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
From all that has happened lately, it would appear that they are reading their own version.  Or at least they are making it up as they go along.

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
(Deuteronomy 4:2)

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
(Revelation 22:19)

LtV
LtV

Larry Lyons

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
I was confronted by a neighbor today who had a copy of the Journal of the Walla Walla Alumni Association which had an article on WO and a tiny picture of a certificate of ordination issued to Ellen White which is purported to prove that Ellen White was ordained as a Seventh-day Adventist minister and by implication supported WO. I have seen copies of that certificate in the past but I don't recall its background or context. Does anyone have information on this? I would appreciate hearing it.
Thank you.
Larry L.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »

ejclark

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »
I was confronted by a neighbor today who had a copy of the Journal of the Walla Walla Alumni Association which had an article on WO and a tiny picture of a certificate of ordination issued to Ellen White which is purported to prove that Ellen White was ordained as a Seventh-day Adventist minister and by implication supported WO. I have seen copies of that certificate in the past but I don't recall its background or context. Does anyone have information on this? I would appreciate hearing it.
Thank you.
Larry L.
I hear about this every once in a while. In fact, the first meeting I had with our pastor, WO came up and he pulled out a copy of one of her credentials. He said "See, she was ordained as a minister" I said "Yes, but only because she was a prophet first." He didn't get it.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
{DG 105.1 - 113.1} This articles says as "distinct workers", but never says as two ministers - RE a minister & his wife. 

ordination = 93 SOP hits

DG Daughters of God - 1998 -  Appendix C - Exhibits Relating to the Ordination of Women

From the Lifetime and Experience of Ellen G. White
     A PAPER PRESENTED AT THE MINISTERIAL MEETING AT THE 1990 GENERAL CONFERENCE SESSION. PREPARED BY THE WHITE ESTATE STAFF.  {DG 248.1- 259.2}

13K limit precludes posting the whole as a quote .  Pull up DG p 248 & read through p 259.

1. A RESOLUTION TO ORDAIN WOMEN WAS DISCUSSED AT THE GENERAL CONFERENCE OF 1881. NO ACTION WAS TAKEN. THE MINUTES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING LINES: {DG 248.2}
     "RESOLVED, THAT FEMALES POSSESSING THE NECESSARY QUALIFICATIONS TO FILL THAT POSITION MAY, WITH PERFECT PROPRIETY, BE SET APART BY ORDINATION TO THE WORK OF THE CHRISTIAN MINISTRY. {DG 248.3}
     "THIS WAS DISCUSSED BY J. O. CORLISS, A. C. BOURDEAU, E. R. JONES, D. H. LAMSON, W. H. LITTLEJOHN, A. S. HUTCHINS, D. M. CANRIGHT, AND J. N. LOUGHBOROUGH, AND REFERRED TO THE GENERAL CONFERENCE COMMITTEE."--RH, DEC. 20, 1881.{DG 248.4} 
     ELLEN WHITE DID NOT ATTEND THE GENERAL CONFERENCE OF 1881. HER HUSBAND DIED ON AUGUST 6 OF THAT YEAR. TWO WEEKS AFTER HIS DEATH SHE LEFT BATTLE CREEK, BOUND FOR CALIFORNIA. SHE DID NOT RETURN TO MICHIGAN UNTIL AUGUST OF 1883.{DG 248.5}

2. FOR MANY YEARS ELLEN WHITE WAS VOTED MINISTERIAL CREDENTIALS BY THE MICHIGAN CONFERENCE (SEE E.G. RH, SEPT. 10, 1872), AND THEN LATER BY THE GENERAL CONFERENCE. HOWEVER, SHE WAS NEVER ORDAINED BY HUMAN HANDS, NOR DID SHE EVER PERFORM A WEDDING, ORGANIZE A CHURCH, OR CONDUCT A BAPTISM.{DG 248.6}
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »

Ellen G White Estate Research Documents > ( EGW credentials ) = 1 hit

Ellen G. White’s View of the Role of Women in the SDA Church

Roger W. Coon   
This document pulled up from the EGW Estate Research Documents area of the research edition of the EGW CD ROM Disk has a broad summation of data on the issue.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Larry Lyons

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »
http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/egw_credentials/egw_credentials.htm

This is all I know of, Larry.
Thank you Mimi. That was exactly what I needed. The very last sentence in the article put the whole thing to rest. It was voted that she be given ordination certificates but she was never actually ordained, according to her son, and she never baptized anyone or ordained anyone. As I pointed out to my neighbor, if she had done any of those functions as an ordained minister, she would have certainly mentioned it somewhere in her writings, but as far as I know she never mentioned anything like that. If she had, no doubt it would be proudly announced in the Review  the Recorder, the Gleaner etc. by the pro WO folks.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »
The discussions begin. From The Adventist Review:

Ordination Study Committee Meets in Snowy Maryland
Third multi-day meeting of international commission to focus on regional reports and recommendations
Posted January 21, 2014

An intense winter snowstorm buffeted suburban Maryland Tuesday morning as members of the church’s Theology of Ordination Study Committee (TOSC) gathered in Columbia for the third working session of the 103-person international commission.

By midday, more than 90 members had arrived, some struggling to reach the site because of cancelled flights and deteriorating road conditions. Others are expected to join the meetings on Wednesday when weather is predicted to improve. The committee will work 12-hour days through Friday afternoon, January 24, finishing their session with worship and fellowship activities on Friday night and Sabbath.

QUESTION TIME: Darius Jankiewicz, chair of the Theology Department at the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary at Andrews University, answers a question at Tuesday night¹s TOSC Q & A session.

Two previous working sessions of the TOSC in January and July, 2013 laid foundations in Biblical interpretation, offered differing perspectives on key Biblical passages, and developed a consensus statement for the group on the Biblical understanding of ordination.

Tuesday’s working sessions focused on reports from ten of the denomination’s 13 world divisions, each represented by several committee members. The reports provided summaries of the findings of division-level Biblical Research Committees that had studied the topics of ordination and the suitability of ordaining women to gospel ministry.

Each report also featured recommendations to TOSC to be included in the overall study.

Presenters from each division answered questions from TOSC members, including queries about the division-level study groups’ male/female ratio, and whether representatives of both major positions were adequately heard in the committee process.

Here is the AR story: http://adventistreview.org/church-news/ordination-study-committee-meets-in-snowy-maryland

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »
From the same article, General Conference officers have announced that the matter of ordaining women to pastoral ministry will be on the agenda of the church’s General Conference session that will meet in San Antonio, Texas, in July 2015.

Good. It needs to go before the world Church.

Pete

• http://
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »
Has anyone taken a good look at the allegation that NAD has attempted to justify female ordination by developing a new hermeneutic?
See:  http://ordinationtruth.com/2014/01/17/new-nad-wo-hermeneutic-pt-1/
There are 3 parts to this video. What is your thinking?