Author Topic: Fourth Quarter--2012--SDA SS LESSON 2--Revelation, and the God Revealed in It  (Read 11176 times)

colporteur

1Corinthians 11:4"Every man praying or prophesying,having his head covered, dishonoureth his head"

Makes me wonder what resources are being borrowed from.

The thing that immediately stood out to me when I first saw this cover was the long-haired man and the short-haired (some very short-haired) women. This is against an important teaching in 1 Corinthians 11. Blurring the distinction between men's and women's hairstyles also leads us in the direction of blurring their roles, and thus on to women's ordination.

This is true but I pitty the poor ladies with afros. Do they cut a large part of their hair short and leave some long?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
It is true that there are different hair types among the different nationalities. Still, ladies of African descent often have their hair longer than the men have theirs, even if it is not long like a European woman could wear hers. And some tie their hair back so that it is more manageable. I think there is a way for every nationality to have a distinction in hairstyles, even if their hair may not be "long" in the same exact way that mine is.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Thank you, Amy for broadening our understanding. God never asks us of something we are unable to perform. We do the very best we can when we have given our hearts to Christ and that is all He expects. Where we cannot, though His grace do that which we believe He asks of us, it is ok. It is another matter to make excuses for what we know is right and we can do. There is no excuse if it is within our power to do it. Why do we fail so often? Because it is our nature to sin. We need to be born of His Spirit, then we shall walk in the light of His love. Conversion is the only solution to our sin problem.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
God never asks us of something we are unable to perform. We do the very best we can when we have given our hearts to Christ and that is all He expects.

Amen.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Peter L

Monday
“It is not the words of the Bible that are inspired, but the men that were inspired. Inspiration acts not on the man’s words or his expressions but on the man himself, who, under the influence of the Holy Ghost, is imbued with thoughts. But the words receive the impress of the individual mind. The divine mind is diffused. The divine mind and will is combined with the human mind and will; thus the utterances of the man are the word of God.”—Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 1, p. 21. How do these words help us to understand how biblical inspiration works?

It is not the words of the Bible that are inspired it was the Bible writers the people making what they wrote the word of God. If the words were inspired then they would be inspired no matter where they are used.
Matthew 23:16-19
(16)  Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
(17)  Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?
(18)  And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.
(19)  Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?

Jesus is here saying that the temple and altar are greater than the gift so the people were inspired not the words
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.