Author Topic: Check Internet Connection Speed  (Read 5762 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Check Internet Connection Speed
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:40:07 AM »
Here is a link to check the speed of your internet connection:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
Re: Check Internet Connection Speed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:10:35 AM »
Sybil, have you ever thought of opening an "Ask Sybil" column?  I tell my granddaughter, "If you want something found, just ask Sybil, she can find it." ;D

I bet you were up before the crack of dawn this AM, trying out that connection!  ;)  Sybil, I am soo happy for you!  Just think how effective you are going to continue to be!!  Praise our Lord!
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:26:49 AM »
 :D :D :D

Yes, I was up early to check it. You know me too well, my dear friend!  ::) Raj, the owner/installer said he is to upgrade after the initial installation to the middle speed of 512, but it has not yet happened. I am hovering around 256 this morning with download of 128 or so. Let me tell you - that is slow to some DSL people who are currently getting 1800+kps, but it sure beats 24-56k on dialup!

In fact, if that man does not upgrade me, I would still be happy! I believe I am experiencing what others do when they have never had dessert. It is with such gratitude that this has come to be in this valley. None of us ever thought it would happen! We are grateful! I listened to sermons for four hours yesterday afternoon and into the evening. Such a blessing!

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:36:31 AM »
I don't know how many on here have ever experienced the drastic change from dial up to anything else, and I am not sure what my speed is now, as it seems to be measured different with wireless.  But, I was fortunate with dialup if I got 24k, so I can really know how you feel!  You are like a kid with a new toy, I know!  And, just think of all the ways you can use that "toy" to be a benefit to others!  I feel pretty sure that you, dear Sybil, are the primary reason that hi-speed Internet came to the valley!! You have said, "Here am I, send me..." Now, God is sending!
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »
 :-*

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
There was a time when 14.4k was more than enough. Now websites are very complicated and send lots of video, graphics, and sound that faster connection speeds are almost a must if you don't want to waste your time.

Here is another place to test your speed against. It's a little more graphic intensive so don't try this on dial-up. But this place is fun because you can test your connection speed to different parts of the world.

http://www.speedtest.net/

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
There was a time when 14.4k was more than enough.

It was sure a lot better than 2400!  :)  You have taken us back to the days of 284s and 327s and then the mighty Pentiums!!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »
It was sure a lot better than 2400!  :)

:) 2400.... now that takes me back to the very very late 80s and very early 90's just before the internet was available to all. When I first started getting "online" it was at 300 to connect to local BBS's. One of my very first experiences on a BBS was one run that was operated by police officer called 911.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Hey - alarm, alarm! Running Smiley!!!!

I just hit an all-time speed record! You DSL, wifi, quicksilver people will still laugh at me, but this is seriously fabulous speed out here. Remember, we have relay stations on roof tops in the valley just so I can receive broadband from atop the ski basin.

I just sent this report to the ISP man. He tweaked something relative to the IPs ... no clue what he did but it was grand! Look at these rates (Mbps):

Dallas  1.5 mbps .44               six minutes later     3.40   .45

LA 1.22 .44                                                               2.45   .45

Atlanta 2.78 .44                                                           .96   .08

NYC  .88  .08                                                               .94  .42

Seattle 1.29  .36                                                          1.80  .45

San Francisco  .94  .43                                                  no test, too happy

Everything over 1.0 mbps is a record for my testing. I have never attained 1.0.

Impressive, huh? My typical speed hovers around 0.8Mbps, so this is fantastic! Hope it holds!

For those of you new to the forum, I was on dialup for about 20 years, so this is quite a miracle.

;D ;D ;D So happy!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »
It is good to have a fast/er connection. It does make life easier sometimes. Here is another website that you can use to test your connection speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
from here.

server Clarksville TN (50miles)

download speed  19.13 mb/sec
upload speed   2.91 mb/sec
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
Wow! Great speed, Ed!

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
It seems download upload speed depends upon ISP connection + where the servers are, and server bandwidth.   Which changes, depending on where a person is uploaded to and downloaded from, and how many are using bandwidth on your local path from the ISP serving your PC, Laptop, or handheld.

So numbers could change several times a day.     A few yrs ago, using an aircard with laptop 20 miles west of Greatbend Kansas, was very very slow and would time out often.   It seems aircards are better now, but looking at coverage maps per service provider - definite areas of poor to no coverage exist when comparing providers.

Their coverage is influenced by cell phone coverage hardware and data sharing agreements between providers, and even amount of static interferance from wind and storms interposing between points a ...b.....c......on through z. 

Direct uplink downlink from an individual system and the satellite seems to still be pricey, which defeats the process. 
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:36:06 PM »
My heart is all aflutter! We are getting a major upgrade.

Coming Soon - Faster Connections & Higher Bandwidth

Dear Customer,

As many of you know we have been working diligently to increase internet capacity and gain access to higher bandwidth so you can enjoy a richer internet experience using faster connections.

I am happy to report that we are currently in the process of installing network upgrades that will allow this exciting development. We are hopeful that the infrastructure will be in place and available by mid Sep or early in the fourth quarter 2012.

We will keep you informed about our progress, so stay tuned for further updates.

It did not take long to jet a question to our ISP man, faithful Raj.

"How much will it increase our speed?"

"2.5 times faster!"

;D

We are currently on a plan of up to 1G, the most he has offered, so this is such good news for us mountain folk! Up to 3.5Gs! Those dialup years (20 in all) are fading but I will never forget them. They keep me humble.