Author Topic: Famine in America?  (Read 26669 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Famine in America?
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
We know that there is going to be famine in the land. When it hits the U.S. then the world will suffer greatly. Few understand how much God has blessed America with a fertile land and abundant food. This will change. Has this famine begun? Jesus is coming soon, so we expect it may have started.

"The worst drought in a quarter century tightened its grip on the Midwestern United States over the past week as sweltering temperatures and scant rainfall punished corn and soybean crops across the region, a report from climate experts said Thursday."

"Grains rose for a fourth straight week in a drought-fueled rally, reviving food inflation worries and rekindling memories of the 2008 food crisis which stirred unrest in some import-dependent nations. Front-month soybean futures on the Chicago Board of Trade surged to a record-high on Monday and spot corn threatened to surpass its all-time price high on Friday before drifting lower. Both contracts expired on Friday."

If the the lack of rain continues, then grain supplies will diminish further and food prices will continue up. Already, wheat prices are up because of the rise in corn prices.
  abibleanswer.org

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

Re: Famine in America?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
Yes, it appears that the drought is here to stay. I can't help but wonder if we are going to see a drought similar to what happened at the time of Ahab and Elijah. Three years of eccentially no rain in the midwest would probably fold up the US economy, an economy that is only temporailly proped up anyway. If the trend soes not change by next spring I will bypass the garden. A person can water to carry over a garden during a temporary dry spell but to completely sustain a crop the entire season  when there are long stretches of 100 degree weather is out of the question. The gov't has provided crop insurance but since it is of a surety that it has not sert aside funds to pay off something like a drought this will break the bank and it is doubtful that the farmers could be paid for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of acres of crop loss.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Vicki

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
If the trend soes not change by next spring I will bypass the garden. A person can water to carry over a garden during a temporary dry spell but ...

Our dry season lasts from May through September or longer and the temps are usually in the 100+ degrees for several weeks since we live in the desert of the High Sierra Mountains. Watering a garden is feasible, watering fields and fields probably not. When our garden was planted full-size (over 10,000 sq. ft.) it took 3 hours to water (hose & bubbler attachement) & weed it every morning but Sabbath. Last year I learned that tomatoes have a difficult time keeping blossoms in dry heat so the only change I would make is to not plan on having a lot of tomatoes to the exclusion of other crops. Sometimes failure is not an option and as long as the well is not dry you can water, as long as there's not another dust bowl like the 1930's.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
There will be famine in America. Crops will fail. People will go hungry. God will allow America and the world to reap what has been sown. Not sure how those in areas that depend upon rain will do.  God can cause it to rain on one piece of land and not on another. We know we are to be in the country growing our own food. Wisdom would dictate that we do the best we can to provide for what is coming. If possible, it would be good to have access to well water or a spring that runs good. I know that all is dependent upon the rain, but there are methods that will allow one to irrigate when it does not rain. That is the point I am trying to make. A windmill or solar to pump water is a necessity from what I can see.  We are moving into a period of time when these things are going to be needed.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »
It does appear we are entering upon a new era.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

carls365

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
We must be drawing ever closer to the Lord now so when extreme hardships follow in the time of trouble we'll be able to put total trust and faith in Jesus no matter what the world does to us.

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:13:59 AM »
That is right. God will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. We do our part and He will do His part. That does not mean there won't be tough situations or worse, but we are to trust in God as well as do the best we can with what we have.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »
Amen.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:19:36 AM »
That's exactly right, Vicki. We can only do what we can do, and after we have done that, we can rest in Jesus knowing He will do what we can't do.

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »

The Midwest and perhaps other areas of the US is experiencing a record heat wave and drought. I talked with two NRCS employees this week who said that there will not only be millions but problably more like billions given for farm drought relief. This is on top of the payments already owed by the gov't for crop insurance payments as a result of the drought. The NRCS/USDA expects the drought to continue perhaps through next year and farmers are worried it may even run longer. The last few years the US gov't subsidized farmers and made many big farmers rich as crop prices were high, there was excellant yields in some states, and subsidy payments were handed out. Just as the gov't thought to drop off the subsidy program the drought hit. Since many farmers  made big money in the last few years and since it was a wet spring last year they tiled much ground that had never before been tiled. Now they wished they had back every drop they tiled out not to mention all the cost of tile and labor. The wetlands are very important to ecology of the land and even impacts rainfall. Farmers have contributed to the turning the midwest inot a desert but tiling and trying to farm every square foot of soil. In areas of the Midwest where there has never before been water restrictions people in town are advised to take quick showers and by law they can only water lawns and wash cars every other day.

This will affect grain prices, fuel prices, food prices and certainly meat prices. Farmers are wanting to sell their corn for silage but there are not enough bovine in all the country to feed that much silage to and without corn in the ear the silage will be of a lesser quality. In many areas the fields will be disked under.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
Why will it effect fuel prices?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
On the news this morning it was said that meat prices will decrease because so many animals are being sent to market. The ranchers cannot feed them.

carls365

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Here's a gov drought site. Interesting maps.

I thought a time of great peace and prosperity is coming soon according to the pipe dreamers or wishful thinkers?

Geodad

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
Why will it effect fuel prices?

Corn is a major feedstock in the production of ethanol, which often constitutes 10-15% of regular unleaded fuel at the pump...

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
That is true and something I sometimes forget about. Thanks, Geodad!

colporteur

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
It is not difficult  to see how a famine in the land could/will come. It is very strange to see wave after wave of fronts pass through that wold normally bring rain. They either break up in advance or pass over without a drop. It is typical  for severve drought to be the result of apostasy. This is looking like it will be an Elijah type drought.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
Thanks, Geodad.  I had forgotten that it is still in production.  It has not worked out and from what I understand, it was being reduced greatly.  The cost of producing it was high. With the great reduction in demand, it was not working out. Maybe the crop failures will produce more material for ethanol?

Geodad

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
Thanks, Geodad.  I had forgotten that it is still in production.  It has not worked out and from what I understand, it was being reduced greatly.  The cost of producing it was high. With the great reduction in demand, it was not working out. Maybe the crop failures will produce more material for ethanol?

I don't know about the "being reduced greatly" part... It seems I have to go out my way to find a pump without ethanol here in the southeast. They do exist, but cost about 10% more than the pumps with ethanol added...You are right that it hasn't really worked out. I try to avoid it as much as I can - many small engines suffer cumulative damage to their seals and fuel lines from using it...the lawnmower dealer told me to try to avoid it so I am....

colporteur

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
What I have seen is that ethanol is still going strong in the corn belt.  However, people who are comparing gas mileage are saying that the ethanol while it is cheaper is not as good in terms of moving your vehicle down the road as is gasoline. It is cheaper but it decreases gas mileage compared with good old 87 regular. Incidently, I have read that we should avoid the pumps where a fuel truck is unloading. When this is happening this stirs up any sediment and  unwanted elements in the service station tanks. You are apt to get far dirtier fuel when this happens. I have also heard by family that has managed convenience stores that Caseys is an inferior fuel lacking additives that are important. I don't know if this is still the case 10 years later. A motor oil that is highly promoted but a problem oil is Penzoil. I have not used that oil for many years. Apparrently most of the rest of the motor oils are relatively similar in quality. I have used Havoline oil in 5 quart containers. It is one of if not the cheapest oil to purchase. The last vehicle I owned had 325,000 miles on the same engine and it was still doing well using this oil.

We just purhased a new automobile and it came filled with synthetic oil. They reccomend changing oil every 10,000 miles. I'm a little slow to want go that high between oil changes.

colporteur

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
In the past I had sometimes wondered with all of this farm land in the US how there would be famine. I suppose I had missed thre obvious because the obvious has never been before. We have never had a drought of any real magnitude in the US in terms of large areas. I had always supposed it would be an economic failure that would bring famine. While that may be... a drought is really a clear decisive way for famine to happen. As long as there is alot of man power, rain, and soil there can be plenty of food to sustain the US. Even if we all had to go back to just hoes and rakes we could grow alot of food. However we cannot produce rain and with a lack of it all other measures to grow a significant amount of food are eccentially gone.