Author Topic: Famine in America?  (Read 26667 times)

colporteur

Re: Famine in America?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

This is a USDA drought map. Last week the condition of 30% of the nation's corn crop was poor to very poor. This week 38% of the corn crop is poor to very poor. The soybean situation is not much better. The drought is expected to only intensify. This will be catestrophic. Of course wheat and other crops are affected just the same. I live in an area that is rated moderate drought and it has not rained in any significant way for months and we have had but one good rain shower this year. I cannot imagine the areas that are severve and extreme. Hundreds and thousands if not millions of acres of crops will be disked under as a total loss. This will absolutely shake the country and the NSL will follow.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
You will notice that there is no significant amount of farmland that is not considerably affected. The only non drought areas are around the fringe of the nation.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
You will notice that there is no significant amount of farmland that is not considerably affected. The only non drought areas are around the fringe of the nation.
Could it be that something like this could provoke a campaign among the Christians in America for the government to do something in an official way that would honor Gpd or appease His wrath?

colporteur

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
Could it be that something like this could provoke a campaign among the Christians in America for the government to do something in an official way that would honor Gpd or appease His wrath?

It is written !

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »
I thought some might find these comparisons of years of drought interesting. Source

And I wonder what some would think if we were to see dust storms as far east as Pennsylvania and so bad that snow plow trucks had to be called to clear the roads? Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
I thought some might find these comparisons of years of drought interesting. Source

And I wonder what some would think if we were to see dust storms as far east as Pennsylvania and so bad that snow plow trucks had to be called to clear the roads? Source

Those are very interesting charts. I visited with an elderly SDA yesterday who shared the same except without the charts. It appears that maybe only 1934 and perhaps 36 were worse. We may not have to wonder what some think about dust storms such as happened back then.

Some other interesting comparisons to consider may be the populaton to feed in this country now compared to 80 years ago, the morality of the people then and now, the state of the world economy, the military potential around the world then and now, and the fragile state of country today as a result of dependance on computers.

carls365

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 06:56:18 AM »
Very interesting comparison map. I've seen photos of the dust bowl in the 1930's where the settled dust was six feet high, burying cars, farm machinery, houses. The fine dust like sandpaper wore out machines.

Today, read they are having to dredge large rivers the to allow ships to pass.

carls365

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »
This article was written back in February of this year. Certainly looks like if these conditions continue, they will be calling for God to restore His blessings on the land.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the changes in farming practices which were instituted after the Dust Bowl era, will prevent another dust bowl.  It certainly won't prevent crop failure, but it might keep us from losing so much topsoil.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
What were the changes?

colporteur

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 07:32:08 PM »
The gov't is already looking at emphasis on ponds and reserviors as water becomes a precious commodity.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 09:05:01 PM »
Areas that depended upon rain for their crops will now turn to well and surface water. The water table will drop rapidly and industry and homes will be affected greatly. It is much more expensive to irrigate than to depend upon rain. Food prices will skyrocket. Futures must be way up now.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »
What were the changes?

Crop rotation was one thing.  I think planting cover crops was another.  Leaving the stalks from the previous year's crop in the ground rather than plowing it under was another.  They also changed the way they plowed so that less dirt was left exposed.  There are probably other things they did, as well.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »
Thank you.

colporteur

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:55 AM »
There are limitations as to what can be done. For instance, there is really nothing that can be done where there have been soybeans. The ground is left without cover and it is soft and ready to blow. Where corn has been cut for silage there is little cover to stop blowing dirt. Where there has been severe drought there may not be much stalk as cover.

colporteur

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »

I visited with the rural water people moments ago when they came out to fix something. They said that there is no question about it that they are mining the water out of the deep aquifers but they are not telling the public. There's going to me a major problem in terms of ground water. Since it takes at least a year or two for the rain water to reach the aquifer we are not experiencing the effect yet of the drought in terms of the deep ground water.. Between the drought and the mining of ground water we are headed for trouble.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
My brother-in-law and nephew have planted soybeans the second time in the field beside our yard. If we do not get a soaking rain within a week or less, this planting will be gone too. Storms are forecast for tomorrow. We sure do not need storms, but we do pray there will be rain. The neighbor is going to have to sell his cattle, his spring that feeds our little creek is almost dry. Our well is holding...thank God! I am claiming His promises.
Dora

Vicki

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
I will pray you get rain for the fields according to God's will. God knows our every need. We wish for our prayers to be answered to meet our obvious needs. God sometimes sees a deeper need within our character or has different plans. Whatever the outcome, I pray your family will be drawn closer to Him through the experience.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
Famine will come. But, here is an encouraging report that lift our spirits:

Three years ago we returned to America. Others were sent to Australia to take our places. The work has continued to grow; prosperity has attended every effort. I wish you could read the letters that come to us. Doubtless you have heard of the dreadful drought that has caused famine in so many places in Australia during the past two years. Hundreds of thousands of sheep and cattle and horses have perished. In all the colonies, and especially in Queensland, the suffering and the financial loss have been great. 

But the spot that was chosen for our training school, has had sufficient rainfall for good pasture land and bountiful crops; in fact, in legislative assemblies and in the newspapers of the great cities it has been specified as "the only green spot in all New South Wales." 

Is not this remarkable? Has not the Lord blessed? From one of the reports received, we learn that last year seven thousand pounds of honey of the best quality has been made on the school estate. Large quantities of vegetables have been raised, and the sale of the surplus has been a source of considerable revenue to the school. All this is very encouraging to us; for we took the wild land, and helped to bring it to its present fruitful state. To the Lord we ascribe all the praise.  1SM 102
We have nothing to fear for the future except as we shall forget the way the Lord has led us.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
I talked to a farmer at the Republican booth at the fair early this week. He said that the corn has been so modified that it can do reasonably well off of only an inch of rain each summer. He said that the plant will sacrifice all for the sake of the ear. Corn grown 50 years ago would have died and dried up long ago.

This reminds me of what I have heard about a person dying of thirst. The muscles in the body will contact and cramp to squeeze ever bit of water out so as to sustain the vital organs and preserve life. This is very painful and a natural way the body tries to survive.

Wouldn't it be nice if the church body was willing to so sacrifice to that extent in order to keep the body alive ?