Author Topic: Privacy & International Travel  (Read 1916 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Privacy & International Travel
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
It's been a very long time since I've traveled internationally. If I did today I would expect to pass through the scanner and even that my luggage might be rummaged through. In my opinion those are acceptable procedures to keep people from carrying bad things onto planes with the intent to cause harm. However, what I wouldn't expect is that I'd be forced to log into my online accounts for them to have a look. It doesn't make much sense to me since that data is not physically on your person or in your luggage. Never the less you can read about it here....

Source

A recent case in which two young travelers to Israel were requested not simply to provide their laptops for arbitrary searches, but to log in to their e-mail accounts and allow Israeli officials to search through their e-mail for specific strings and correspondence highlights the increasing obstacles to privacy that travelers face, as well as the increasingly global nature of security theatre.

Not unlike travelers to the U.S., travelers to Israel face serious privacy challenges at the border.  The government generally has broad authority to search through your personal possessions, including your laptop, for any reason at all. When you cross the border to Israel, the Israeli government retains the authority to question you and examine your belongings, which it interprets as also allowing it to go through your electronic devices and computer files. More recently, authorities have also been known to demand user passwords to online accounts.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Privacy & International Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
That is quite incredible!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89