Author Topic: "By Beholding, we Become Changed"  (Read 16892 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: "By Beholding, we Become Changed"
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 01:47:06 PM »
Richard, I'll admit to this phrase of this verse troubled me before but I just assumed it was my understanding that couldn't seem to make it fit because we have examples in the Bible where people who were once honored by God but slipped. Your example of Moses is a good one especially in the light of the knowledge that he actually witnessed the glory of God.

So answer your questions. Yes, Moses did sin after that because we know that he was not allowed to enter the promised land due to his sin of striking the rock and then Lord lead him up a mountain and I believe the Lord laid Moses to rest Himself. Especially since we know that He buried Moses.

Deu 34:4  And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.
Deu 34:5  So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
Deu 34:6  And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.
Deu 34:7  And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 12:42:01 PM »
The gift of God would be a wonder to all worlds, to all created intelligences, ever enlarging their ideas of what God's love was in its infinity and greatness. Contemplation of this love would uproot from the heart all selfishness, and so transform the soul that men would cherish generosity, practice self-denial, and imitate the example of God. God so loved the world that he gave heaven's best gift, in order that the most guilty transgressor should not be deferred from coming to Christ, however great his sin, and be enabled to ask for pardon at a throne of mercy.  {ST, February 5, 1894 par. 6} 
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
Amen and amen!

What were you studying when you found that? I have not read all of the Signs and R&H articles.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 06:19:32 PM »
I haven't come close to reading all the Signs of the Times but I've been picking my way through them and came across this gem this morning in my reading. The title to the article is "God's Love Unmeasured". 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 05:08:17 AM »
Believe the word of God, keep looking unto Jesus, dwelling upon his virtues and mercies, and there will be created in the heart an utter abhorrence of that which is evil. You will be among those who hunger and thirst after righteousness. .{ST January 3, 1895, par. 8}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »
Amen, Jim. These statements that you are reading are confirming this truth about how we are converted daily.  "It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross." The Desire of Ages.

Jesus made the truth very plain. "Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.    He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.    As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever." John 6:53-58.

Much is made about the 1888 message that was given in the church. And so  it ought to be. But, seldom is heard the truth about the message. Simply stated, it is the loveliness of Jesus. And by beholding His loveliness we are converted, transformed into His image from glory unto glory.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 06:19:54 PM »
As the perfection of His character is dwelt upon, the mind is renewed, and the soul is re-created in the image of God.  {Ed 18.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »
All the disciples had serious faults when Jesus called them to His service. Even John, who came into closest association with the meek and lowly One, was not himself naturally meek and yielding. He and his brother were called "the sons of thunder." While they were with Jesus, any slight shown to Him aroused their indignation and combativeness. Evil temper, revenge, the spirit of criticism, were all in the beloved disciple. He was proud, and ambitious to be first in the kingdom of God. But day by day, in contrast with his own violent spirit, he beheld the tenderness and forbearance of Jesus, and heard His lessons of humility and patience. He opened his heart to the divine influence, and became not only a hearer but a doer of the Saviour's words. Self was hid in Christ. He learned to wear the yoke of Christ and to bear His burden.  {DA 295.5} 
     Jesus reproved His disciples, He warned and cautioned them; but John and his brethren did not leave Him; they chose Jesus, notwithstanding the reproofs. The Saviour did not withdraw from them because of their weakness and errors. They continued to the end to share His trials and to learn the lessons of His life. By beholding Christ, they became transformed in character.  {DA 296.1} 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
When men and women can more fully comprehend the magnitude of the great sacrifice which was made by the Majesty of Heaven in dying in man's stead, then will the plan of salvation be magnified, and reflections of Calvary will awaken sacred and living emotions in the Christian's heart. Praises to God and the Lamb will be in their hearts and upon their lips. Pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the hearts that keep fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary. This world will appear of but little value to those who appreciate the great price of man's redemption.  {ST, February 15, 1883 par. 8} 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 07:39:27 AM »
Amen, Jim. This is what it means to have a new heart, to be converted.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.