Author Topic: Seventh-day Adventist Hymn Writers  (Read 91024 times)

Vicki

Re: Seventh-day Adventist Hymn Writers
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »
http://remnant-online.com/smf/index.php?topic=13386.msg146653#msg146653

I never realized it had an SDA author, either. I think I heard it at a family camp meeting about 8 years ago. Many times since then I have sung the 1st verse and chorus to change dispositions.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
From Elder Thurber:

DEAR LORD WE COME AT SET OF SUN

And He said unto them, "The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath." Luke 6:5

Mary Speidel

1. Dear Lord, we come at set of sun, And at your feet we kneel
To worship You, creator, King, This day, Your sign and seal.

2. Our earthly tasks we lay aside, and at Your feet we kneel
To enter now Your holy rest, The Sabbath of the Lord.

3. Sweet Sabbath rest, Your sacred hours Are as a golden chain
That reaches back to Eden's gate And points us home a-gain.

4. And when this earth shall be renewed, And sin and death destroyed,
Shall all redeemed each Sabbath day Still meet to praise their God.

Mary Speidel was born May 16, 1915, at Weirton, West Virginia. She became a Seventh-day Adventist after reading books left on her doorstep by a literature evangelist. She worked in the Coast Guard Headquarters and the Federal communications Commission, then moved to denominational work, serving in the Potomac Conference office and at the General Conference headquarters. In midlife she began free-lance writing, her stories, poems, and articles being published in Listen, These Times, Adventist Review, Guide, and Little Friend. After retirement she traveled and studied in Mexico and Scotland. Her greatest joy was in "seeing God's work progress and in doing Christian witnessing and church work." After returning, she made her home in Summerville, West Virginia, where she died October 4, 1985. Hymn No. 392, SDA church Hymnal. - John Thurber 2012
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »
From Elder Thurber:

FAR FROM ALL CARE

On the Sabbath

D, A. R. Aufranc D. A. R. Aufranc

1. Far from all care we hail the Sabbath morning;
O'er waving fields and from the distant sea
Swell notes of praise in harmony resounding
As all creation turns her heart to Thee.

2. Through man alone, Lord, of Thy creation
Fails now to laud Thee for Thy love and power,
Yet still a remnant love Thee and remember
Thy ho-ly law and each sweet Sabbath hour.

3. Lord of the Sabbath, Savior and creator,
Calm now the throbbings of each troubled breast.
Speak to our hearts the peace of Thy commandments,
Breath on each soul fair E-den's hallowed rest.

4. Strong in Thy might and quiet in Thy meekness,
May we Thine image bear from day to day.
Then may we enter pearly gates eternal
And sing redemptions's song each Sabbath day.

Both words and music of this Hymn were composed by Douglas Albert Raoul Aufranc, (1892-1980) a Seventh-day Adventist physician and Dentist. After a period of intense work and strain in the bustle of London, he spent a short holiday at Pevensey Bay, between Hastings and Eastbourne on Sussex coast in England. The peace and quiet place, especially on the Sabbath day, contrasted vividly with the noise of the City, and the idea of this hymn had its roots there. Notice the recurrence of the Sabbath theme in the third line of stanzas 2. 3, 4. Aufranc, of Swiss Huguenot descent. Was a grandson of one of the first converts of John Nevins Andrews our first missionary in Switzerland. . Hymn No. 394 - S.D.A. Church Hymnal - John Thurber 2012

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
From Elder Thurber:

THE WONDERS OF REDEEMING LOVE

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but as in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and fine grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

Roswell F. Cottrell, Perry Beach

1. The wonders of redeeming love Our highest thoughts exceed;
The Son of God comes from above For sinful man to bleed.

2. He gives Himself, His life, His all, A sinless sacrifice.
For man He drains the cup of gall, For man the victim dies.

3. And now before His Father's face His precious blood He pleads;
For those who seek the throne of grace His love still intercedes.

4. He knows the frailties of our frame, For He has borne our grief;
Our great High Priest once felt the same, And He can send relief.

5. His love will not be satisfied, Till He in glory sees
The faithful ones for whom He died From sin forever free.

Roswell Cottrell wrote this hymn in 1866 when he was a minister of the Seventh-Day Adventist church. About 1851 through reading the Adventist Review and Herald he joined the church, and became a regular contributor to prepare Sabbath school lessons every week for the children. In 1855 when the publishing house moved to Battle Creek Michigan, He served on the editorial staff.

Perry Beach was born October 24, 1917, at Lincoln Nebraska. He earned his Ph.D in 1953. He taught at Union College, Andrews, and La Sierra College, and Loma Linda University California (1957 to the present) He has continued his teaching and writing since retirement in 1982 This Hymn is No. 179 in the S.D. A. Hymnal - John Thurber 2012

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »
One of my absolute favorites from Elder Thurber this morning! How very timely!

O LET ME WALK WITH THEE

And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. Genesis 5:24

Mrs. Avery Stuttle Edwin Barns

1. O let me walk with Thee my God,
As Enoch walked in days of old;
Place Thou my trembling hand in Thine,
And sweet communion with Thee hold;
E'en thought the path I may not see,
Yet, Jesus, let me walk with Thee.

2. I cannot, dare to walk alone;
The tempest rages in the sky,
A thousand snares beset my feet,
A thousand foes are lurking nigh.
Still Thou the raging of the sea,
O Master let me walk with Thee.

3. If I may rest my hand in Thine,
I'll count the joys of earth but loss,
And firmly bravely journey on;
I'll bear the banner of the cross
Till Zion's glorious gates I see;
Yet, Savior, let me walk with Thee.

Both the author and composer of this hymn were Seventh-Day Adventist. Lillian Dale Avery Stuttle (1855-1933) was a student at Battle Creek, Michigan, in the late 1870s. A woman of deep devotion, and faith. Wrote many poems and several books. One of her poems, "The Riven Veil," appeared on the front page of the Review and Herald dated March 16, 1933, one day before her Death.

Edwin Barnes (1864-1930) 1886 he attended school at Battle Creek, Later he was a teacher of music at Battle Creek College. S.D.A. Church Hymnal No, 554 - John Thurber 2012

John Thurber 2012

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
From Elder Thurber:

O SHEPHERD DIVINE

"And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear my voice; and there will be one flock and one Shepherd." John 10:16

Herbert Work Herbert work

1. O Shepherd divine, I know Thou art mine;
Thy search in the night was for me.
This bleak world is cold, but warm is Thy fold;
My shepherd I follow Thee.
Thy beautiful lamp shineth bright o'er my way,
Thy glorious light unto Thy perfect day.
Thro' pastures serene, Thro' valleys of green My Shepherd will follow Thee.

2. O Shepherd divine I know Thou art mine;
Thy great heart was broken for me.
Thy grace and Thy law I picture in awe;
They kissed upon Calvary.
Ah! Life that was given to ransom my soul,
Ah! Heart that was broken to make sinners whole,
This world is but loss In view of the cross, My shepherd, I follow Thee.

3. O Shepherd divine I know Thou art mine;
I hear Thee say, "Follow thou Me."
Thy message today Illumines my way;
The Spirit of prophecy.
I thrill at Thy marvelous love to Thy sheep,
The way Thou dost lead to the still waters deep,
One staff and one rod, One fold and one God, My Shepherd I follow Thee.

Herbert Work wrote this Hymn while sitting on a large rock in the woods behind St. Helena Hospital, California. He always thought he had a marvelous Shepherd to write about. In 1932 he read "The Marked Bible" and "The Bible Made Plain" While in Philadelphia he searched and found the Seventh-Day Adventist Conference Office. He said to the girl at the desk, "Are you a Seventh-Day Adventist"? "Yes." He said, "Well, I have 32 questions to ask you, and if you answer them to my satisfaction I"ll join your church." Flustered, she said. "O, if you'll wait 15 minutes, my Dad will be back." But Work asked, "You are an Adventist, aren't you?" "Well yes, I am." she said. "Then you can answer what I want to know," Seventeen year-old Dorothy Vandeman (later Lemon) answered all the questions to his satisfaction. Work was baptized into the S. D. A. church in June 1933. His long and much appreciated career of teaching music in many places, including, P.U.C.- S.W.U.C.- proved a real blessing to our youth. Modesto Academy was where he served the longest. In 1954 he published a booklet, of 16 Sanctuary Songs. His largest work, the cantata "Abel", he work with Ella Robinson the eldest granddaughter of E. G. White. She wrote the lyrics based on Scripture. He was born (1904 died 1982).

S.D.A. Hymnal No. 192 - John Thurber 2012

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
From Elder Thurber:

WE HAVE THIS HOPE

"For you are my hope. O Lord God; You are my trust from my youth." Psalm 71:5

Wayne Hooper - Wayne Hooper

We have this hope that burns with-in our hearts,
Hope in the coming of our Lord.
We have this faith that Christ alone imparts,
Faith in the promise of His Word.
We believe the time is here,
When the nations far and near
Shall awake and shout and sing
Hallelujah! Christ is King!
We have this hope that burns with in our hearts,
Hope in the coming of the Lord.

We Have This Hope is a song translated into many languages and will be sung around the world until Jesus comes.

Wayne Hooper was born July 4 1920, in Little Rock Arkansas, Born into a musical family of seven children; at family worship they sang four part harmony, with the mother, Ethel, at the piano. In 1941 he married Harriet Schwender, and moved to Portland Oregon, where he taught music and shorthand at the Academy. In 1949 he was called to the Voice of Prophecy and the King's Heralds quartet and remained there until he retired in 1980.

He earned two Master Degrees, and Andrews University awarded him an honorary D. Mus. in June 1986. I can attest that Wayne was very important to, the VOP broadcast, Wayne loved the Lord and became strong believer of the Word of God, and it showed in his music. With his standards of music, and ability to put the broadcast together, and choice of songs to go with Elder Richards sermons, kept the quartet busy recoding. I sang in the quartet for 10 years and saw how skillful Wayne's gifts were. Wayne died in 2006 after a long illness. John Thurber - S.D.A. Church Hymnal No. 214 - John Thurber 2012

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »
From Elder Thurber:

THE SACRED ANTHEM

One thing I have desired of the Lord, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple. Psalm 27:4

Ottilie Stafford

1. The sacred anthem slowly rang Across the fields of praise,
When earth's first Sabbath made complete All creatures and all days.
Walking with God, there, Woman and man together share
The blessed Sabbath mood
And in that green and golden world Know all God's works are good.

2. But know in our diminished lives We sing a blemished song;
The earth is worn and disarrayed And all our work goes wrong.
Still in our worship, Joining in praise and fellowship,
By Sabbath radiance blessed,
We put our doubt and fear away And rest within God's rest.

3. And arching over time and space The Lord of Sabbaths wills
Renewal for the weary earth And healing for our ills.
Hearts will rejoice then; There will be no more weeping, when
We know and shall be known.
With hosts of the redeemed we'll sing Around God's shining throne.

Ottilie Stafford, professor of English at Atlantic Union College, South Lancaster, Massachusetts was Born February 12, 1921, in Middletown, New York. Very early in life she stared loving and studying music, and for a period of time after leaving college, she was a music teacher. One thing that struck me as I worked was the difficult nature of writing words for hymn tunes, in which the inflections of the words needed to fit the inflections of the music. I finished with a new respect for the great hymn writers!

Dr. Melvin West wrote the Music for this hymn. He has taught organ and been organist for several Colleges. A very gifted musician for the church. This Hymn is found in the S.D.A. hymnal No.386

John Thurber 2012

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
Another hymn from Elder Thurber. This is one of my very favorites!

DISMISS US, LORD WITH BLESSING

He shall receive blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of His salvation. Psalm 24:5

E. Froom L. E. Froom

1. Dismiss us Lord, with blessing, we pray;
As from Thy worship we go our ways;
Guide in life's conflicts all through the day;
Save in Thy kingdom, Thine be the praise. Amen

The tune Benediction was composed in 1934 by LeRoy Edwin Froom to provide a suitable closing item for the choir or the congregation. As was his undeviating custom, he wrote the tune first and the added the appropriate words.

He was a member of the committee for the Church Hymnal, 1941, and was the spearhead for the publication in 1944 of the evangelistic songbook Gospel Melodies.

He was born October 16, 1890. After study at Pacific Union College and Walla Walla College, he graduated from Washington Training Center, now Columbia Union College, Takoma Park Maryland.

After a short time as pastor at Wilmington, Delaware, he was called to Pacific Press Publishing Association to train as an editor.

In 1918 he went to China and was editor of the Chinese Signs of the Times, also doing graduate study at the University of Nanking.

Back to the States, he edited the Watchman Magazine for a time. From 1926 to 1950 he served in the Ministerial Association of the General Conference.

In 1927 he founded and continued as editor of Ministry magazine.

From 1950 to 1958 he was a field secretary for the G. C. and also taught historical theology at the Seminary, at Andrews University.

Among the many books he authored are the four volume Prophetic Faith of our Fathers, The two volume Conditionalist Faith of our Fathers, and The Holy Spirit-Executive of the Godhead, which he nearly completed at the time of his death, at Takoma, Park Maryland February 20, 1974.

Seventh-Day Adventist Hymnal No. 690 - 2012 John Thurber

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
Thanks to all of you who resonded, what beautiful hymns we have for these last day,s May God bless you, and soon we will home with Jesus, Even So Come Lord Jesus. Friend John.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:08 AM »
Amen!  Thank you for sharing. It is a great blessing!  We shall continue to post these at remnant-online.org
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.