Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 4760 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Windows 7
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:01 AM »
Windows 7 makes it difficult, if not impossible, to connect to a secure server. Any ideas, Jim, or those who have successfully accomplished it? Am using IE.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
Two minds with no manual figured it out. What a pain! To fix this thing, one must delve into the bowels of the settings.

Win7/IE wants to authenticate at a higher level = 256 bits. Old school servers cannot yet do that and that is what we had to work with, so reduce the level to 128 bits and you're in.

We will take a bow at your earliest convince.  ;D

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
IE?  That may be the problem.  :)    I hope Google is not sending this to MS.   I suppose they could make me an example. At times I think they have. I am still using MS OS. I have often wondered if some of my software conflicts have anything to do with the browser I use.  :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
Congratulations! How did you figure it out?  Did MS send out an explanation that you needed to change the setting?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:58:23 AM »
Yes - this conversation will be scooped up by Google. MS needed to better debug Win7 before its launch.

Daughter bought a new computer anticipating her new job! (Praise the Lord on the new job!) Win7 automatically wants to network, so setting it up was very difficult. She had to uninstall integrated networking programs (and they are vast!) Win7 thought a user would love! Not so. It was crippling for the applications she needed to use. The solutions listed for "Win7 help" were not helpful, for her need was much deeper. Their solutions are but surface, so no one could help her. Even the IT guy where she is now working could not figure it out. Thankfully, God instilled a tenacity in that woman's mind so she began at the beginning and started troubleshooting every possible setting in the Control Panel, Internet Connections, Security, Advanced, etc. Something was barring entry to a secure server from which she will be exclusively working. At long last, she landed upon authentications and noticed it wants to run at 256 bits instead of the typical 128 most XPs use, so she changed it to the lower setting and was able to log in and begin work.

Another person who had a similar experience said never to use Windows Updates for Win7. Go to the manufacturer for updates, else it wants to crash and all your settings will be lost and you are @ square one again.     

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
I have allowed MS to update win7 and have had no problems that i know of.   I can't imagine the manufacturer doing this for the OS.  They do not want responsibility for the OS. They can update drivers and their software, but what about all the other OS stuff?  Maybe someone can help us here. It does not make sense to not use MS update for win7. I ought not say this, but I am still using XP and Vista. I am happy with both of them. The only difficulty I have had in the last few years is with allowing HP to update my settings.  It was painful. I could not use my computer and HP was not going to fix the problem. I finally got someone there to help, from high up. When HP asks to update, I am very fearful I will hit the "yes" rather than the "no".   :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
You are wise to use such caution.

I would like to buy up as many "used" XPs as possible from the brainiacs who are upgrading to Windows 7.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
I can only tell you my experience when it comes to MS updates. I have no issues with letting MS do updates to their own products. However, usually the non-critical updates that MS releases often involve hardware drivers for devices connected to your computer. More than once MS updates for other manufactures hardware have been really bad news. I prefer to get my updated hardware drivers from the manufactures website. They made the product and are more familiar with it and if they want people to purchase their products they need to make sure it works with the appropriate OS.

Now... I need to clarify this some. Over the last couple of years that Windows 7 has been out I haven't been as afraid to update hardware drivers through MS because windows 7 has made it much easier to rollback to the old drivers. I haven't had to do this yet but at least it's a fairly easy option.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:23:53 PM »
Yes, drivers are one thing, updating the OS is another.  If one ceases updating the OS, then they are headed for trouble. Maybe the individual who warned against win 7 updates did not mean updates for the OS, but for specific drivers?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
I'll ask. I don't know.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »
Much of our discussion of Win7 is in the Win8 thread. I will cease discussing Win7 over there and take it up right here.

So, this is day two of my new experience with it and thus far it has been seamless. That's good. There is one thing I am not happy with and that is its bookmarking in Firefox. Its display on the toolbar was good in the xp version but I am not liking its setup at the moment. The dropdown menu is fine but it does not display all of them without going to yet another menu. I want one-stop access and that is not happening. And the thumbnail display on the browser is a bit overkill ... and the beat goes on because an old dog does not like new tricks.

I created a file of the old bookmarks and cannot seem to import them with said ease Win7 is trumpeting.

Even with that, I refuse to resort to moaning and groaning, but I'm close. Just wanted to put this out there in case a sudden eruption of frustration occurs.  ::)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
MS had to meddle with Word in Office 2013.  ??? That should be a crime.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »
Much of our discussion of Win7 is in the Win8 thread. I will cease discussing Win7 over there and take it up right here.

So, this is day two of my new experience with it and thus far it has been seamless. That's good. There is one thing I am not happy with and that is its bookmarking in Firefox. Its display on the toolbar was good in the xp version but I am not liking its setup at the moment. The dropdown menu is fine but it does not display all of them without going to yet another menu. I want one-stop access and that is not happening. And the thumbnail display on the browser is a bit overkill ... and the beat goes on because an old dog does not like new tricks.

I created a file of the old bookmarks and cannot seem to import them with said ease Win7 is trumpeting.

Even with that, I refuse to resort to moaning and groaning, but I'm close. Just wanted to put this out there in case a sudden eruption of frustration occurs.  ::)

The problem you describe with the multi-layered bookmarks is what I've always had and any browser. You can arrange Firefox to give you the sidebar bookmarks, but with 30.0, it now takes two clicks instead of one to open the sidebar.  >:( I don't know if they've fixed that in 31.0. I sure hope so. I let them know I wasn't happy about it. Maybe others did too. I don't use 7, but it is just an upgraded version of Vista, which I still use.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Yes. The trouble is with the default setting to Unsorted in Firefox. That forces you to move the bookmark to the main menu, every single one of them individually. It's just more unexpected work especially when there is no Select All to move option.

Typically I can figure this stuff out just using simple logic but, I have resorted to actually watching the instruction videos! LOL 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Are you using "show all bookmarks"? You should be able to hold down the shift key and select multiple bookmarks to move. I've done it in Firefox.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »
Yes, show all bookmarks. I will try that in moving them. Thank you.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Hey, LindaRS! Do you want to laugh?

I picked up the wireless keyboard and mouse today. They came loaded with the first set of batteries. YAY! So I plugged in the receiver and they instantly worked. Why should there have been a doubt? The mouse's speed of motion sent me spinning because my old one slugged around as if trudging through thick mud. It was that old and I thought that was normal! But the new one was way too slick. A slight movement caused the thing to go jetting across the page and at times could not be located. LOL Then I remembered with Win7 Pro there is a mouse adjustment in Control Panel not included in Win7 Home edition so the thing can be slowed down. It was one of those little moments of "Ah ha!" and I was happy there were no flies watching on the wall.  :-[

It reminded me of installing the printer on this OS that caused my children to laugh. For several hours I searched for the installation disk and simply decided it had to be in a box somewhere in the garage or in a trunk in the closet. To continue searching would take so much time, so I went to Canon's website to download the driver, but before getting there, I readied the printer by plugging in the usb cord and it was like the computer began saying, "Here, let me install your printer. This will take only a moment." And before their website loaded, the thing was installed. And all this time us old XP users have been keeping installation disks for external devices XPs needed. For crying out loud! Sometimes newer is better and my feet were dragging the entire time.

I repent.  :-X   

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
Next order of business for Mimi: get a cell smart phone.  ;D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:33 AM »
LOL  No, no. That is my line in the sand.  ;)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
There's a funny thing about sand; a little wind and it gets blown around. Line gone after awhile.  :D ;D 8)