Author Topic: Greatest Music of All  (Read 13781 times)

carls365

Greatest Music of All
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
There is nothing more inspiring, beautiful, uplifting, and glorious as the traditional hymns sung and played in the traditional way, and furthermore, the words are true. Why so many try to "embelish" it with a touch of rock and country, I'll never know except that they are maybe trying to be progressive in emulating the world.

Dorine

Re: Greatest Music of All
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
Amen! I totally agree. I'd like to ask for opinions on classical music. Neil Nedley was at camp meeting this past year and some have just finished his series on depression. There is now this strange and weird obsession with classical music even among people who hate it and hate the hymns in our hymnal. It`s like.....if we can`t listen to country and rock anymore than anything is better than the hymns in the hymnal.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

carls365

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
Hi Dorine, I'm not sure about classical music, it's always been a question. I have to see if EGW mentions anything about it. It's certainly far better than rock and metal though. I've seen some shocking musical presentations in our SDA churches over the past few years. If one didn't know it was a SDA church, you would be sure it was the Grand Ole Opry. Truthfully Dorine, I'm sure it's the influence of the evil one to instill his music into our young people to thwart their minds. It's something like the National Anthem sung before a football game, each singer tries to put their own spin on the vocal inflections, and note bending to sound unique, something different than that boring old anthem and they want to be phrased for it.

I have to tell you sometime about my church back about five years or so, it still shocks me today. At the risk of sounding loony or fanatical to some, I'm sure I saw the evil one working in their midst. Once I tell you the story, you'll agree too.

Dorine

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »
Looking forward to your story.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:33 AM »
Satan invades just about all music. While classical seems to me a far better grade than most other kinds of music I do not think it is exempt from the enemy. Beautiful sounding music can have evil connections and evil words. Even seemingly good wording can have a double meaning. Using a secular example, there is an old rock song that has a line "Mickey don't lose that number,.... its the only one you own,.... now use it and you'll feel better, .... when you're alone."  Many young people including myself thought this was talking about a phone number used to call a friend when "you're alone." In reality, the "number" is another word for a joint of marijuana. This song is about doing drugs. Music, and not just rock music, is full of this kind of thing.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

ejclark

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Satan invades just about all music. While classical seems to me a far better grade than most other kinds of music I do not think it is exempt from the enemy. Beautiful sounding music can have evil connections and evil words. Even seemingly good wording can have a double meaning. Using a secular example, there is an old rock song that has a line "Mickey don't lose that number,.... its the only one you own,.... now use it and you'll feel better, .... when you're alone."  Many young people including myself thought this was talking about a phone number used to call a friend when "you're alone." In reality, the "number" is another word for a joint of marijuana. This song is about doing drugs. Music, and not just rock music, is full of this kind of thing.
I always thought that song was about that guy being gay.  Learn something new every day.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
We have split off the posts dealing with "The Pastor's Son" and have move that new topic to the Laodicea Forum.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »

Gotta correct some lyrics, Colporteur. It's "Rikki don't lose that number" ... and its "when you get home."

My former life included everything Steely Dan. http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/steely+dan/rikki+dont+lose+that+number_20130142.html
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »
Ok Sybil;

I guess I'm... a... pretty rusty on that one. Hallelujah ! praise the Lord ! cart wheels !  ;D  I never did listen closely to the words of those songs so I guess some of the wording never stuck all that well.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »
Amen!

Sister Dee

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »
Oh, wow.  So I had the right lyrics in my head after all.   ::) :P  It just shows the power of music that something like this can stick after all these years.  Too bad we can't delete stuff like these things from our memories.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
Jesus is putting new thoughts into our minds that will fill them with His love and power! That is why we keep our eyes and thoughts upon Jesus.  We are becoming changed in character as we do.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Marelis

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
Amen! I totally agree. I'd like to ask for opinions on classical music. Neil Nedley was at camp meeting this past year and some have just finished his series on depression. There is now this strange and weird obsession with classical music even among people who hate it and hate the hymns in our hymnal. It`s like.....if we can`t listen to country and rock anymore than anything is better than the hymns in the hymnal.
There is quite a bit of evidence that classical music is good for everyone and everything - good for plants, the unborn, the ill, those in pain, for accompaniment whilst studying - hence the new obsession with classical music, even among those who really don't like it!  :D

I have wondered about some of the classical music that is played as a special items in some churches.  Music that doesn't sound religious.  Played nicely, but you feel like you're at a secular concert rather than at church.

A fair bit of classical music is sacred and is beautiful.  And yet, much of that which is sacred was composed for the requiem  mass.  So we need to be discerning, even with "sacred" classical music. In our family we listen only to that which is uplifting.  Some pieces are depressing and my children are quick to point that out, and so we skip those pieces.  Presently I am really appreciating Handel's "Zadok the Priest," and "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" by Vivaldi.  Taverner's "Song for Athene" is brilliantly composed but it is very eerie and the lyrics echo that - not heaven-sent.

Not so curiously, some of the most beautiful pieces of music are the various Ave Maria's. I have to be very careful to make a conscious decision to skip those pieces for they draw me like a magnetic.

"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
He Will Carry You - Enthousiasmos

source
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
Enthousiasmos        "  He will carry you "

simple streight forward music built from faith and love,  entirely removed from self glory,  entirely removed from the demonic energies that makes satan's music carry it's hidden allure, and entrap.   

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Marelis

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
Lovely music, Ed.  You are right about this group being removed from self glory.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Marelis

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37:52 PM »
I love the Pillars of Our Faith CD.

carls365

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »
Does anyone know what Del Delker is doing these days? I searched the Internet but nothing much comes up. I used to listen to her for hours and hours.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
I did, too, Carl, as a young girl. What a voice! Now I am nigh on "old" and can only imagine her age by this time. I hope she is getting some well deserved rest! 

carls365

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
Yes, to me there's no more beautiful singing than Del Delker. Even way back as a wild teen, I loved her singing, she painted the most beautiful picture of everything Jesus and heaven in song. The best thing is we will hear her sing again in  the new earth.