Author Topic: Herb or Vegetable?  (Read 9387 times)

Vicki

Re: Herb or Vegetable?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
 :) We have 2 of the Champions. I don't know, I guess if one is good, two is better. It took a long time for me to figure it out, too. One I used the toothpick method. The other was loaned out and bleach was used on it. Guess I am just slow, but methodical!  ;D Both work great now. I don't have a basket juicer to experiment with. I have heard that centrifugal force isn't good for juice. Probably just a new wives tale.

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
My husband and I love juicing. I use a Green Star. It's similar to the Champion but has twin augers.

If you can squeeze any amount of moisture out of your pulp then it is not extracting like it should. Apparently the juicer that does the best job is the Norwalk juicer but who can afford that! I believe the Lord blesses when we do our best.

Here is a juice recipe for anyone who is having health issues.

Raw Potassium Broth (at least 1 pint per day)
7 oz. carrot juice
4 oz. celery juice
2 oz. parsley juice
3 oz. spinach juice

The organic minerals and salts in this combination of Potassium broth, embrace practically the entire range of those required by the body. Its effect in reducing excessive acidity in the stomach is truly remarkable. There is probably no food more complete in every respect than this for nearly every condition of the human organism.
--taken from Raw Vegetable Juices by R. D. Pope, M.D. pg. 12/13.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

ejclark

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
I have heard that centrifugal force isn't good for juice. Probably just a new wives tale.
What we've heard (wish I remembered where) is that centrifugal force is similar to heating it up and ??% of enzymes and nutrition is lost.  Can't remember what percentage of nutrition is lost.

Humph......that was a lot of help, huh?

My wife looooooooves her Champion, I reeeeealy like my Green Star.  Champion is more user friendly, Green Star does a better job.  My opinion of course.

Quite often my wife and I will take turns cleaning the screen of her Champion.  We like to use a safety pin.  Though bleaching probably cleans it really good, you might try poking the holes out with a needle just to double check.  When we clean out the holes, it takes some effort to punch out each hole and I would be a little surprised if washing and scrubbing gets the holes really good.

Something else, specially after using the Green Star, but my wife and I both strain our juices through another strainer to be sure we get all the pulp out.  Anyone else do that?

Vicki

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
I've never strained the juice, but I do always use the attachment that goes at the top to make a wide ledge so any pulp remaining on the plunger doesn't fall into the juice.

Does the Green Star juice wheat grass too? I think there's an attachment for the Champion for that but we've never gotten into that much. We probably would if we could afford it. Once in a blue moon we splurge on an ounce when we're near a juice store in the city.

ejclark

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »
Does the Green Star juice wheat grass too? I think there's an attachment for the Champion for that but we've never gotten into that much. We probably would if we could afford it. Once in a blue moon we splurge on an ounce when we're near a juice store in the city.
Yes, the Green Star juices wheat grass and yes again there is an attachment for the Champion to do wheat grass.  I know absolutely nothing about it though.  Not even the cost.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Do you use the pulp for soups and/or sauces?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

ejclark

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 04:43:31 AM »
We should, but no we don't, we usually compost it.

Sometimes we will use wheat grass pulp for a poultice.

Vicki

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Sybil - I've had a tasty pate' made with carrot pulp. I think it's called mock salmon loaf, but it spreads beautifully. I'll look for the recipe if you would like.

ej- Wheat grass pulp must have a drawing quality then?

ejclark

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
ej- Wheat grass pulp must have a drawing quality then?
That and I've heard of people using it for skin problems.  Not just do draw out poisons, but to also promote healing from the outside in.  Ann Wigmore used it for a skin problem she had, and after being healed from the grass, she began using it along with sprouting other things to promote healing and health.  She was the founder of Hippocrates and her focus was on sprouting.

Vicki

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
Interesting.

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »
Fell off the band wagon from juicing but we are back on again. In our climate my old injuries and surgeries have developed arthritis so bad I can hardly function during wet, rainy weather. We've had a lot of it this spring and it makes gardening that I love and other activities almost unbearable. I've put myself on a plan to see if there is anything that can relieve it at least.

I've upped my water intake drastically. So far no change. Now we are both back to juicing again and if I don't see an improvement I will go gluten free while continuing with the water and juicing.  They say the nightshade plants aggravate arthritis so if there is still no change I will try that. Some of my favorite foods are in the nightshade family so I do not look forward to trying that. It's one thing to be toxic from eating badly but when good wholesome food attacks your system that's alarming. I'm sure there is medication out there to cover the problem and make life more tolerable but I can't in good conscience do that.

I've noticed that no one has posted here since 2012. Is anyone still juicing and if so is it for healing or maintenance or 'just because'?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
Dorine, I was so excited because I had more kale than ever. I was looking forward to juicing it, but the sweet deer put and end to it. I wanted my own kale, not from the store. So, I have not been juicing because I had made my mind up that I was going to be juicing my "clean" kale. So, I have to get started again. I believe the nutrients in the juice are adding strength to my immune system. I know it heals the eyes, and mine are in need of some help.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »
Those rascals. I have a solution for you that has worked for us.

Make a frame out of 1/1's, staple double chicken wire to the frame to form a tent-like structure and place it over the kale. You didn't dig up the kale they ate, did you? It will come back and be even stronger and healthier than before. We had a groundhog one year that ate off all my lettuce and kale. I was so upset with the cute little critter. In a few days I saw new growth and in no time a lovely bed of greens was there. In the meantime, I did everything I could think of to send the groundhog on its way. It worked.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
That's a great idea, Dorine. Thank you.  The garden is in the orchard area, so I have to keep the deer out period. They destroy the trees, eating leaves and bark. The kale was a surprise last year. It was doing so well, then one day it was gone.  :(     I am going to have to buy kale this year. I have been too busy to plant it. It did come back, but the weeds were so heavy that they crowded out most of it.

I am looking forward to a large garden of kale soon, though.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
It's a battle isn't it between animals and weeds. My solution will only work for small beds. We have 3 raised beds 4'x4' and the frames work great over them. Your orchard is another story. We just planted two apple trees (EGW method) and no protection as of yet so we are concerned we may go out and see the tips of each branch gone before we get a chance to put some sort of fence around them.

We've been enjoying a combination of carrot, kale, celery and parsley juice but not from the garden yet. Still buying our produce. I hope you'll get to enjoy some good garden veggie juice soon.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
Thanks, Dorine.  Am looking forward to planting seed soon!

colporteur

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »

Have you tried baited electric fence, Richard ? I have not had a deer in my garden in two years.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 08:08:09 AM »
I have not had the chance to do so, but I am going to do it, cp. You have convinced me.