Health > Gardening

Mulching

(1/6) > >>

Richard Myers:
The grass and weeds are growing!! Soon we will have to deal with them.  How about putting some newspaper down now to stop the growth.  The paper will dissolve and turn the weeds and paper into compost.   Gathering the leaves works really well in the compost that is all green or mainly kitchen scraps.

Time to start thinking about pruning and planting greens and starting indoor seeds.  I planted some greens two weeks ago and the plants are popping up.  We have had unusually warm weather.   

Spring is headed our way!!

Dorine:
Well we are not far behind you even in the cold northeast but we have February to contend with yet. That could tell another story for our lovely mild winter so far. I keep looking at my hills of compost and my garden beds sleeping so peacefully.  I can't wait to get my hands into it. This is such an exciting time of year for me. I look about at all the dead looking trees and bushes and marvel at how the Lord injects new life into each one at the right time. Not to mention when I plant those tiny seeds in dirt and they spring to life with the rain, sun and nutrients that God provides with 'my' help of preparing the soil, providing the proper shelter and protection while they are young and the weeding etc. I just thank God for the privilege of working with Him. It makes me 'feel' (dangerous word I know) so close to Him and so loved when I'm working in the garden.

By the way Richard....how are those tubs of compost working for you?

Richard Myers:
I got excited hearing you talk about yours.  They are like the tray of Bougainvillea cuttings I have covered with plastic.  I can't tell how they are doing.  I just keeping filling the tubs up with kitchen scraps, leaves, and soil. In my mind I see worms crawling up through all those holes I drilled!! But, in reality, I won't know until I dig into them. I guess, unlike the Bougainvillea tray, I ought to be digging in and mixing the tubs. But, I don't have a lot of time, so I told myself that it would take longer, but I will get that beautiful compost eventually. Today, is sunny, maybe I will go out and do a little turning.  :)  So I can see what is happening!  Sounds like a good motivation to do a little turning!

Dorine, when you were talking about all that new growth, I was thinking about how God does the same with us poor mortal sinners.  He is daily renewing us in His image.....as we allow Him.  One day soon there will be no more winters and all will be new and there will be no more no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away!  Soon! 

Dorine:
I'm very interested in the cuttings you have started. I have never had any success with that and I have so many bushes I would like to take cuttings from.

Yes I too was thinking about the lessons God teaches us in nature of His love and care. And I look so forward to the day you speak of when God makes all things new.

I hope you found lots of worms in your tubs. They'll be the best fed worms around.  :)

Marelis:

--- Quote from: Dorine on January 30, 2012, 05:02:32 AM ---Not to mention when I plant those tiny seeds in dirt and they spring to life with the rain, sun and nutrients that God provides with 'my' help of preparing the soil, providing the proper shelter and protection while they are young and the weeding etc. I just thank God for the privilege of working with Him. It makes me 'feel' (dangerous word I know) so close to Him and so loved when I'm working in the garden.

--- End quote ---
You've said itwell, Dorine.  Don't you just love seeds?  I do. So many different sizes and shapes, and to think of all the genetic material enclosed inside. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version