Author Topic: Bougainvillea in the Winter in the North!  (Read 9626 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Bougainvillea in the Winter in the North!
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
What a surprise!!   A blooming Bougainvillea in the middle of winter!!!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Bougainvillea in the Winter in the North!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »
Wow! You are surely blest!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »
It is true!! God loves me!!  I think that out of my illness, God brought the blessing. I had more heat in the room and also a humidifier. I think the Bougainvillea liked both, not to mention the abundance of sunshine we had all of December! 

I have three that I bring indoors. Only the plant that had the most sun bloomed so profusely. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
What a gorgeous plant! I don't think I've ever seen a bougainvillea before.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »
I just returned from a big city with multiple Interstate Highways and more byways than one could count. The landscaping on most every road was full of these beautiful plants, primarily red. It was a beautiful sight. When husband and I traveled to Belize we saw them growing in the wild, towering over rooftops. The colors varied greatly down there and I have recently learned the color of a flower can change based upon its pH. The orange and pink ones are truly stunning! 

Vicki

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »
Amazing. I will grow pink ones, tall enough to tower over my country home, on the new earth.  :) 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
Me, too!  ;)

Marelis

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
What a blessing for you, Br Myers.  Hopefully, you are fully recovered by now.

Bougainvillea grow where I live yet I've never thought to grow it - shame on me. 
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
I am not fully back, but am surely better, thank you, Sister Marelis.   

There is a little difficulty with this most beautiful plant.  Like the beautiful rose, they have thorns.  :(  But, if one is careful and keeps them out of the way, then there is nothing more spectacular! The color is vibrant and profuse!  I recall seeing a home on the shore from out in the bay that had one wall completely covered. What a sight! 

Marelis

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »
I am glad that you are improving but hope and pray that a full recovery isn't too far off.  It is very special to see this bougainvillea growing so happily indoors!  This soft peachy pink is delightful.  Plants and flowers provide so much joy.  This past week we visited a florist's shop selling the most exquisite potted orchids - thankfully had a fair way to travel and so could not be tempted by the exquisite price tags (!) My children and I lingered to enjoy them and to imagine what God has in store for us when all is restored.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
Kos bougainvillea OD'ed on Miracle Gro!, Kos Town, Greece
This travel blog photo's source is TravelPod page: A pretty Italian town in Greece looking at Turkey

Here is an example of this magnificent plant when allowed to grow in a conducive climate.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
This is the normal color of mine when outdoors, so I was quite surprised to see the pink now.

Vicki

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
Magnificent colors! Son said to tell you he likes the plant that covers the building best. I find it's growth very overwhelming. I'm partial to the peachy/pink indoor color. I know I will be very pleased with the one that grows over my country home.  :)

I am puzzled. In the last picture you posted, the leaves look bright pink and the flowers are tiny and white? The photo inside looks like peachy/pink petals and green leaves. Then the building photo looks like there are no green leaves. Can someone solve for me the mystery of the bougainvillea?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
It is the nature of the plant. That is one thing that makes it so spectacular.  The bracts are what you see with the color.  Bougainvillea can be covered with color as you see in the last photo and the covered building. The leaves are there, but are lost in the bloom.  In my indoor photo, it is a winter bloom which is most unusual.  The conditions are not there for the profuse blooming seen in spring or fall.  In North America the plant likes spring and fall best. They are native to the equator and like even day/night times. In our summers we have long days that the plant does not like.  Right now we have pretty good day/night times, but not enough heat and not enough sun.  But, the last month was most unusual for sun and as I said, I kept the heat higher than usual. The other thing they like is humidity for blooming. We never have high humidity in the house except that I kept the humidifier working because of my congestion. The boogie loved it.  God was turning my trial into a great blessing!!  :)

Another difference between mine and the one your son likes, it the amount of growth.  If mine had more branches, it would be filled in more with bracts. The covered building is a very mature plant or plants that are solid bracts. There are hundreds and hundreds of branches growing over the building that provide for the color.  (It may not be a building, but a wall) 

Vicki

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »
I looked closer and you are right, it looks like a wall. Thank you for the bougainvillea explanation.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 08:43:04 AM »
I know that it will not be possible to have my house covered with color, but I am still trying. I planted one of the indoor plants on the south side of the house last summer. When winter came, I covered the whole plant with foamboard. The plant appeared to die, but it did not. The protective cover kept the rootball alive and now it is leafing out!!!     Let's see how much growth it will put on this spring and summer.

Unless global warming keeps our winter temps above freezing next winter, we will only get a limited amount  of growth before the top dies back. So, the color will be kept to a small amount. :(    Even if we had a tropical climate, there is not enough time left in this world for the bougainvillea to get very large. Jesus is coming very soon!!   Then, by God's grace we shall all enjoy the beauty of heaven, then the New Earth!!!