Author Topic: Are You Tempted to be Discouraged?  (Read 36561 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Are You Tempted to be Discouraged?
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »
The shortness of time is frequently urged as an incentive for seeking righteousness and making Christ our friend. This should not be the great motive with us; for it savors of selfishness. Is it necessary that the terrors of the day of God should be held before us, that we may be compelled to right action through fear? It ought not to be so. Jesus is attractive. He is full of love, mercy, and compassion. He proposes to be our friend, to walk with us through all the rough pathways of life. He says to us, I am the Lord thy God; walk with Me, and I will fill thy path with light. Jesus, the Majesty of heaven, proposes to elevate to companionship with Himself those who come to Him with their burdens, their weaknesses, and their cares. He will count them as His children, and finally give them an inheritance of more value than the empires of kings, a crown of glory richer than has ever decked the brow of the most exalted earthly monarch.  {LHU 98.3}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

thx4mercy

« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »
The shortness of time is frequently urged as an incentive for seeking righteousness

Yes, what a shame, isn't it?  This quote paints such a nice picture of Jesus and what He can be to us.  I'm going to pass this quote along in an e-mail tonight and in my next letters I send to friends.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2018, 07:13:38 PM »
I'm glad that you were blessed by this wonderful (as you'd say) painting of Jesus with words. He is indeed the One altogether lovely. The One who desires to be our Friend. Whispering..... who is also the King of the universe! What a thought!!!!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »
Brethren, the cross speaketh better things than the blood of Abel in behalf of every soul that receives Jesus Christ. When you are deeply shadowed it is because Satan has interposed himself between you and the bright rays of the Sun of Righteousness. In times of trouble the brightness is eclipsed, and we do not understand why the assurance seems to be withdrawn. We are led to look at self and the shadow of the cross, and this prevents us from seeing the consolation there is for us. We complain of the way and withdraw the hand from the hand of Christ. But sometimes God’s favor breaks suddenly upon the soul and the gloom is dispelled. Let us live in the sunlight of the cross of Calvary. Let us no longer dwell in the shadow, complaining of our sorrows, for this only deepens our trouble. {10MR 78.3}

Let us never forget, even when we walk in the valley, that Christ is as much with us when we walk trustingly there as when we are on the mountaintop. The voice said to us, “Will you not roll your burden upon the Burden-Bearer, the Lord Jesus Christ? Will you not live on the sunny side of the cross? saying, ‘I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.’ ‘Whom having not seen ye love, in whom, though now ye see Him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls’” (2 Timothy 1:12: 1 Peter 1:8, 9). {10MR 79.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2018, 05:24:34 AM »
This last quotes reminds me of the disciples from Emmaus as they walked and talked with Jesus. We may do also.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:57 AM »
Maybe today it is not you that needs to be encouraged but someone else. There might be somebody in your path this very day that needs encouragement.

If the lost sheep is not brought back to the fold, it wanders until it perishes. There is many a poor soul who is full of distress and agony,—a lost, straying sheep. His mind is beclouded; he can not find God; yet he has an intense, longing desire for pardon and peace. Many souls go down to ruin for want of a hand stretched out to save. These erring ones may appear hard and reckless; but if they had had the advantages that others have had, they might have revealed far more nobility of soul and a greater talent for usefulness. Angels pity these wandering ones. Angels weep, while human eyes are dry, and human hearts are closed to pity. {RH January 19, 1911, par. 7}

There are many who err, and who feel their shame and folly. They look upon their mistakes and errors until they are driven almost to desperation. These souls we are not to neglect. When one has to swim against the stream, there is all the force of the current driving him back. Let a helping hand be held out to him, as was the Elder Brother’s to the sinking Peter. Speak to him hopeful words, words that inspire him with courage. Tell him of an almighty hand that will hold him up, of an infinite humanity in Christ that pities him. It is not enough for him to believe in law and force, things that have no pity, and never hear the call for help. He needs to clasp a hand that is warm, to trust in a heart full of tenderness. Keep his mind stayed on the thought of the divine Helper ever beside him, ever looking upon him with pitying love. Bid him think of a Father’s heart that ever grieves over sin, of a Father’s hand stretched out still, of a Father’s voice saying, “Come unto me, ... and I will give you rest.” {RH January 19, 1911, par. 8}

I suppose that some after reading this might automatically assume that this is talking about someone who is not a member of the church or who has been absent for a long while but I can tell you that this  doesn't apply to just those "outside" of the church. Members can be in this situation also. Members can be wounded by satan and led to focus on their sins instead of Christ. They may even come to church week after week and never speak of their burdens. Sometimes you can tell because their countenances give them away but others hide it. We are not to go around prying but a kind word, a big smile and shake of the hand can go a long way and maybe even open up other avenues to help them. Let the Holy Spirit guide you and who knows the end results might be.

Dorine

« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »
Thank you Jim. There are many that are weary and worn, tempted and discouraged. If we are truly concerned for these people the Holy Spirit will alert us. Body language of others reveals much and if we are prayerful and watchful we will find occasions to uplift them and be a caring friend.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
Going on the same theme of encouraging others....

With intense interest angels are watching to see how man deals with his fellow man. When the heavenly messengers see that we show tender sympathy for the erring, they press close to our side, bringing to our remembrance words that will soothe and comfort the soul. “In heaven their angels do always behold the face of their Father which is in heaven.” Beware how you think a contemptuous thought or speak a contemptuous word of the least of Christ’s little ones. Say not a word, do not a deed, that will drive the erring farther from the Saviour. {RH January 26, 1911, par. 8}

Most pitiful is the condition of the one who is suffering from remorse. He is as one stunned, staggering, sinking to the ground. The tired, tempted, confused soul can not see anything clearly. O, then let no word be spoken to cause deeper shame! Help once more to his feet the one who has fallen. With skilled hands bind up the wounds that sin has made. Let not your words, like devastating hail, beat down and destroy the hope springing up in the heart. A soul hurt is often a soul destroyed. Any neglect on your part, any exaltation of self, any hasty, passionate words, may set the soul on the road to destruction, placing him where he will never find the road that leads heavenward. A few words, hastily spoken under provocation, may seem but a little thing,—just what the wrong-doer deserves,—but such words may cut the cords of influence that bind soul to soul. Our work is to restore, not to destroy; to lift up, not to cast down; “to heal the broken-hearted.” We are to remember those that are bound as bound with them. There is a sustaining power in the deed done to benefit and bless humanity. {RH January 26, 1911, par. 9}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »
Nothing tends more to promote health of body and of soul than does a spirit of gratitude and praise. It is a positive duty to resist melancholy, discontented thoughts and feelings,—as much a duty as it is to pray. {RH June 2, 1910, par. 1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
I apologize for the length. It's long enough that I have to split it into two parts. I pray this will help someone.

We have as a people been singularly led. There have been apostasies, there have been threatened dangers, there have been the deep plots laid by the adversary of souls, but still we are on the move “Forward.” There have been sins among us as among ancient Israel, but thank God we have had an open door which no man can shut. Men may say, “I forgive all the injuries you have done to me,” but their forgiveness would not blot out one sin; but the voice sounding from Calvary—My son, My daughter, thy sins be forgiven thee—is all efficacious. That word alone has power and awakens the gratitude in the grateful heart. We have a Mediator. There is but one channel of forgiveness and that channel is ever open, and through that channel a rich flood of divine mercy and forgiveness come pouring down to us. “The cleansing stream I see, I see,” and the greatest criminal may find pardon. {Lt85-1886.3}

Many have expressed wonder that God demanded so many slain victims in sacrificial offerings of the Jews, but it was to rivet in their minds the great and solemn truth that without shedding of blood there was no remission of sins. A lesson was embodied in every sacrifice, impressed in every ceremony, solemnly preached by their priests in holy office and inculcated by God Himself—this great truth that through the blood of Christ alone there is forgiveness of sins. How little we feel the force of this great truth as a people! How little, by living, acting faith, do we bring this great truth into our lives—that there is forgiveness for the least sin, forgiveness for the greatest sins. {Lt85-1886.4}

I wish I could present this matter before our people just as I view it—the great offering made in behalf of man. Justice asked for the sufferings of a man. Christ, equal with God, gave the sufferings of a God. He needed no atonement Himself. It was for man—all for man. All His sufferings were in our behalf, and accessible to us is His free pardon. The sufferings of Christ corresponded with His spotless purity. His depth of agony was proportionate to the dignity and grandeur of His character. Never shall we see and comprehend the intense anguish of the sufferings of the spotless Lamb of God until we feel how deep is the pit from which we have been delivered, how grievous the sin of which humanity is guilty, and by faith grasp the full and entire pardon. {Lt85-1886.5}

Here is where thousands are failing. They do not really believe that Jesus pardons them individually. They fail to take God at His word. He has assured us that He is faithful that hath promised to forgive us and be just to His own law. His mercy is not wanting in anything. Were there one defective link in the chain, then we are hopelessly ruined in our sins. But I would if I could sound the glad note to earth’s remotest bounds, “If any man sin we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.” [1 John 2:1.] His mercy is full. The chain is perfect in all its parts. There is not one flaw in it, not one missing link. Oh, precious redemption! Why do we not bring this great truth more fully into our lives? How broad it is that God for Christ’s sake forgives us—me, even me—the moment we ask Him to, in living faith, believing that He is fully able to do this. He delights in mercy. Glorious truth: “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” [1 John 1:9.] Just to His own law and yet the Justifier of all them that believe. Well may we exclaim with the prophet, “Who is a God like unto Thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He retaineth not His anger for ever, because He delighteth in mercy.” [Micah 7:18.] {Lt85-1886.6}

I wish that those who are so often in gloom, gathering the clouds of darkness about their souls, would just make it a business one hour of each day to search the Scriptures and string together the precious promises, as if they were precious pearls. Let them dwell especially upon the mercy and the forgiveness of sins. I think many who have walked under a cloud all their lives would open their eyes with amazement and view the channels of mercies from God rather than the clouds loaded with denunciations and wrath. {Lt85-1886.7}

We need, as a people, greater faith in Jesus Christ. We need to bring Him into our lives. Then we shall have peace. We shall have joy. We shall know by experience the meaning of the words of Jesus, “If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father’s commandments, and abide in His love.” [John 15:10.] Here our faith must come in to claim the promise that we abide in the love of Jesus. “These things I have spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is My commandment, That ye love one another as I have loved you.” [Verses 11, 12.] {Lt85-1886.8}

Precious opportunities and privileges are granted to us to be a light and blessing to others, talking to them, revealing to them that you gather the sunbeams from heaven to your own soul by believing just what the Lord says. These precious rays of cheerful hope and peace and fulness of joy we can bring into our lives and in so doing into the lives of all with whom we associate. We will inspire hope in the place of strengthening unbelief. {Lt85-1886.9}

It is my privilege to feel that I am forgiven. It is the privilege of all who comply with the conditions to have an experimental faith, to know for themselves that Jesus does pardon. When we confess our sins, His word is pledged that He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Put away unbelief, put away the suspicion that God does not mean these promises for you. They are for every sinner that repents, and you dishonor God by your unbelief. Let us pick up the precious pearls of promises in God’s Word, and in thus doing eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of God. “My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.” “The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” [John 6:55, 63.] “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” [John 1:14.] {Lt85-1886.10}

Let those who have been in doubt only believe the words of Jesus fully, and henceforth there will be rejoicing in the blessedness of sins forgiven. They will have a practical experience of what it is to rely upon the sure Word of God. Having confidence toward God, relying upon the riches of mercy, we show that we honor God. And He declares, “Them that honor Me I will honor.” [1 Samuel 2:30.] {Lt85-1886.11}
We keep the Saviour too far apart from our lives. We want Him abiding with us as an honored, trusted Friend. We want to consult Him in all things. We want to tell Him all our trials and then let His peace into our souls, and let our joy be full as we contemplate that this Jesus is our Saviour, that He has said, “Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” [Matthew 28:20.] Let the peace and joy of heaven into our hearts, and let them be expressed by our lips. Let us make melody to God, and the sunshine of heaven will be reflected to others around us. {Lt85-1886.11}

We keep the Saviour too far apart from our lives. We want Him abiding with us as an honored, trusted Friend. We want to consult Him in all things. We want to tell Him all our trials and then let His peace into our souls, and let our joy be full as we contemplate that this Jesus is our Saviour, that He has said, “Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” [Matthew 28:20.] Let the peace and joy of heaven into our hearts, and let them be expressed by our lips. Let us make melody to God, and the sunshine of heaven will be reflected to others around us. {Lt85-1886.12}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
The prophet of old asked, “Wherewith shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the high God? Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.” [Micah 6:6-8.] {Lt85-1886.14}

In the light of divine revelation, through the atoning sacrifice we may see the glorious plan of redemption whereby my sins are pardoned and I am drawn near to the heart of Infinite Love. We see how God can retain all His justice and yet pardon the transgressor of His law. He can retain all His holiness and reveal it to us in greater glory in cleansing us from all sin. We are not simply forgiven, but accepted of God in the Beloved. {Lt85-1886.15}

The plan of redemption is not merely an escape from the penalty of transgression, that we may be tolerated in heaven as a forgiven culprit, pardoned and released from prison, one who is barely tolerated, but not admitted to friendship and trust. We are not to be thus in heaven—merely admitted. Such a reception would be all that we deserve, but unsatisfying. We want to be taken back to confidence and love, not only to be rescued from the curse, but to be welcomed as accepted children, to be blessed of God. And we shall be amply satisfied. The sacrifice of Jesus Christ has made ample provisions for every repenting, believing soul. We are saved because God loves the purchase of the blood of Christ; and not only will He pardon the repenting, believing sinner, but He will take us back—not only barely permit us to come into heaven, but He, the Father, will wait at the very entrance to welcome us, to give us an abundant entrance to the mansions of the blest. {Lt85-1886.16}

Oh what love, what wondrous love! In the gift of His beloved Son, the Father has shown His love for the fallen race, and through this sacrifice made a channel for the outflow of His infinite love, that all who will believe on Jesus Christ may be restored again to His favor. {Lt85-1886.17}

The parable of the prodigal son represents the way that God will deal with the erring who come back in repentance to Him again. Have we not grand themes for thought and a solid foundation for our faith? What more can we ask of God than that which He has given us? Love, infinite love in Jesus’ being our sacrifice. Believing on Him we will be obedient to all of God’s commandments, and we have life in Jesus Christ. {Lt85-1886.18}

Oh, what joy should fill the heart of the Christian, and what expressions of love should be heard from his lips! Jesus has died for me, making it possible for me to keep the law of God, His filling in the perfection where I cannot supply it. He is making an atonement for me, that I may be one with the Father. Then if I accept by faith this wonderful salvation, I shall never perish as a guilty transgressor of God’s holy, immutable law. Then why should we not have that earnest, living faith, that perfect confidence that in Christ we shall have eternal life? {Lt85-1886.19}

Many fail to act upon this faith, and therefore God is dishonored. They go forth in the world, as if under a weight of woe and condemnation, when they might have peace and comfort, hope, and fulness of joy. Jesus brought into their life would make them happy indeed. Oh, why will we, when we have such expressions of God’s love to us, act as if we were continually suspicious of God? Well may He ask, What more could I do for My vineyard that I have not done in it? {Lt85-1886.20}

Let us honor God by believing His Word implicitly. We have not a Saviour in Joseph’s new tomb and a great stone before the door of the sepulchre. Jesus is not dead. We have a Saviour who has risen from the dead, who is ascended up on high and ever liveth to make intercession for us. Be not weeping, like Mary, because they have taken away our Lord and we know not where they have laid Him. We know where Jesus is—in the presence of the Father to make intercession for us. We have a living Saviour. {Lt85-1886.21}

How can men live in transgression of God’s law and yet think that they can claim the virtues of the atoning sacrifice? Why cannot those who claim to understand the Scriptures see that the requirement God makes in grace is just the requirement that God made in Eden—perfect obedience to His law? In the retributive judgment, God will ask those who professed to be Christians, Why did you claim to believe in Jesus and continue to transgress My law? Who required this at your hands, to trample upon My rules of righteousness? “To obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.” [1 Samuel 15:22.] {Lt85-1886.22}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
God loved the world to such an extent that he gave full and complete evidence of the fact. He did not leave any chance for the tempter to say that he did not love us, for he gave a gift whose value could not be estimated. Had he done less, Satan and his agencies would have sought to have inspired jealousy against God by intimating that he could have done more than he did. God so loved the world that he determined to give a gift beyond all computation, and make manifest how immeasurable was his love. The gift of God would be a wonder to all worlds, to all created intelligences, ever enlarging their ideas of what God’s love was in its infinity and greatness. Contemplation of this love would uproot from the heart all selfishness, and so transform the soul that men would cherish generosity, practice self-denial, and imitate the example of God. God so loved the world that he gave heaven’s best gift, in order that the most guilty transgressor should not be deferred from coming to Christ, however great his sin, and be enabled to ask for pardon at a throne of mercy. {ST February 5, 1894, par. 6}

Dorine

« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »
I just want to take a moment to thank you once again Jim for these most encouraging posts. If we would just spend time each day reading them we would never allow negative emotions to occupy our thoughts and drive our lives. We would live free in Christ and our countenance would show it. Negativity is an unbearable burden that God did not intend for anyone to carry. It leads to self destruction.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2021, 06:40:12 AM »

I read the most inspiring chapter in Prophets and Kings this morning that I just had to share. This brought such hope and courage to my heart. We must never allow discouragement to be entertained when confronted with obstacles in the Lord's work. What a man of God Nehemiah was and all who persevere as he did will see the progress of God's work go forth.

Satan takes advantage of every unconsecrated element for the accomplishment of his purposes. Among those who profess to be the supporters of God's cause there are those who unite with His enemies and thus lay His cause open to the attacks of His bitterest foes. Even some who desire the work of God to prosper will yet weaken the hands of His servants by hearing, reporting, and half believing the slanders, boasts, and menaces of His adversaries. Satan works with marvelous success through his agents, and all who yield to their influence are subject to a bewitching power that destroys the wisdom of the wise and the understanding of the prudent. But, like Nehemiah, God's people are neither to fear nor to despise their enemies. Putting their trust in God, they are to go steadily forward, doing His work with unselfishness, and committing to His providence the cause for which they stand.  {PK 645.1} 

rahab

« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2021, 06:57:07 PM »
We must direct our eyes upward to Jesus rather than to dwell on the problems of this world.  To dwell on the problems only magnifies their influence in our minds.  Look up think of heaven, look to Jesus and rise above the clouds of discouragement.

There is greater power in love than was ever found in censure. Love will melt its way through barriers, while censure will close up every avenue of the soul.
-94-  vol 3 T.

Dorine

« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2021, 07:02:54 AM »
Amen rahab.

Marelis

« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2021, 05:12:47 AM »

I read the most inspiring chapter in Prophets and Kings this morning that I just had to share. This brought such hope and courage to my heart. We must never allow discouragement to be entertained when confronted with obstacles in the Lord's work. What a man of God Nehemiah was and all who persevere as he did will see the progress of God's work go forth.

But, like Nehemiah, God's people are neither to fear nor to despise their enemies. Putting their trust in God, they are to go steadily forward, doing His work with unselfishness, and committing to His providence the cause for which they stand.  {PK 645.1} 
These words spoke to me. Thank you for sharing, Dorine.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11