Author Topic: Are You Tempted to be Discouraged?  (Read 36560 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Are You Tempted to be Discouraged?
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
I was thinking of that verse as I was typing my last response so I'm glad that you mentioned it.

A servant of Christ.. yes. But a servant who is not in bondage to his or her passions. A servant that is free and able to choose right and actually follow through. If you're abiding in Christ and His desires, thoughts, and impulses are also yours that isn't what we normally think of as servitude. It is freedom to be harmless yourself and to others instead of setting forth a bad example.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
Amen as it relates to your DA 258 statement.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
Yes, Jim, the difference being that in bondage to Satan is without freedom. Serving Christ leaves the will free to choose another master. We serve our Lord willingly and may leave at any time.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 06:05:46 AM »
...technically a slave if you choose Christ. But if you count that slavery I'll take it since it was Christ Himself who said that the truth would set you free!

This prompted me to consider a scenario of a young man using a Grinding Wheel to work some steel; who, feeling too "fettered" and angry at the sign that says he must use a full-face shield while running the Wheel;  is so very surprised and frustrated when he loses an eye because of flying steel slivers.

When the soul surrenders to Christ, a new power takes possession of the heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which he holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it but His own. A soul thus kept by heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan. 
From Heaven With Love, p. 215.3

But unless we yield ourselves to the control of Christ, we shall be dominated by the wicked one.  From Heaven With Love, p. 215.4

...thus saith the LORD... 11 ...I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:10, 11

God permits trials to assail His people, that by their constancy and obedience they themselves may be spiritually enriched, and that their example may be a source of strength to others. 
“I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil” (Jeremiah 29:11). The very trials that task our faith most severely and make it seem that God has forsaken us, are to lead us closer to Christ, that we may lay all our burdens at His feet and experience the peace which He will give us in exchange.  Conflict and Courage, p. 45.5
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
The very trials that task our faith most severely and make it seem that God has forsaken us, are to lead us closer to Christ, that we may lay all our burdens at His feet and experience the peace which He will give us in exchange.  Conflict and Courage, p. 45.5

Thanks for sharing Glen, as I see it when hard and bad times come upon we have to ways of reacting. One will lead away from Christ the other way to seek Christ with all your heart.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.  {DA 480.3} 
     As the shepherd goes before his sheep, himself first encountering the perils of the way, so does Jesus with His people. "When He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them." The way to heaven is consecrated by the Saviour's footprints. The path may be steep and rugged, but Jesus has traveled that way; His feet have pressed down the cruel thorns, to make the pathway easier for us. Every burden that we are called to bear He Himself has borne.  {DA 480.4} 
     Though now He has ascended to the presence of God, and shares the throne of the universe, Jesus has lost none of His compassionate nature. Today the same tender, sympathizing heart is open to all the woes of humanity. Today the hand that was pierced is reached forth to bless more abundantly His people that are in the world. "And they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand." The soul that has given himself to Christ is more precious in His sight than the whole world. The Saviour would have passed through the agony of Calvary that one might be saved in His kingdom. He will never abandon one for whom He has died. Unless His followers choose to leave Him, He will hold them fast.  {DA 480.5} 
     Through all our trials we have a never-failing Helper. He does not leave us alone to struggle with temptation, to battle with evil, and be finally crushed with burdens and sorrow. Though now He is hidden from mortal sight, the ear of faith can hear His voice saying, Fear not; I am with you. "I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore." Revelation 1:18. I have endured your sorrows, experienced your struggles, encountered your temptations. I know your tears; I also have wept. The griefs that lie too deep to be breathed into any human ear, I know. Think not that you are desolate and forsaken. Though your pain touch no responsive chord in any heart on earth, look unto Me, and live. "The mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee." Isaiah 54:10.  {DA 483.1} 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2014, 06:41:09 AM »
Eze 34:31  And ye my flock, the flock of my pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith the Lord GOD.

Isa 43:1  But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
Isa 43:2  When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Isa 43:3  For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
Isa 43:4  Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.

Isa 49:16  Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

Jer 31:3  The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Hos 11:4  I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2014, 08:02:13 AM »
These promises should be seared upon our minds in these days when temptation knocks upon our door with a singular purpose: to discourage. Thank you for posting them, Jim.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »
Here is some encouragement for the mothers who read here.

Jesus knows the burden of every mother's heart. He who had a mother that struggled with poverty and privation sympathizes with every mother in her labors. He who made a long journey in order to relieve the anxious heart of a Canaanite woman will do as much for the mothers of today. He who gave back to the widow of Nain her only son, and who in His agony upon the cross remembered His own mother, is touched today by the mother's sorrow. In every grief and every need He will give comfort and help.  {DA 512.2} 
     Let mothers come to Jesus with their perplexities. They will find grace sufficient to aid them in the management of their children. The gates are open for every mother who would lay her burdens at the Saviour's feet. He who said, "Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not," still invites the mothers to lead up their little ones to be blessed by Him. Even the babe in its mother's arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their earliest moments.  {DA 512.3} 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
While I believe that biggest malady of our church today is the laodecian condition there are some that are fully aware of their sinfulness, defects of character, and weaknesses and are discouraged by these. When they hear a message or sermon aimed at the laodecian it can be like rubbing salt into their wounds. The next couple of posts will be for those. It's also for those who have been beat up and wounded by satan and are tempted to fear that they are beyond hope.

When the mind dwells upon self, it is turned away from Christ, the source of strength and life. Hence it is Satan's constant effort to keep the attention diverted from the Saviour and thus prevent the union and communion of the soul with Christ. The pleasures of the world, life's cares and perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or your own faults and imperfections--to any or all of these he will seek to divert the mind. Do not be misled by his devices. Many who are really conscientious, and who desire to live for God, he too often leads to dwell upon their own faults and weaknesses, and thus by separating them from Christ he hopes to gain the victory. We should not make self the center and indulge anxiety and fear as to whether we shall be saved. All this turns the soul away from the Source of our strength. Commit the keeping of your soul to God, and trust in Him. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him. Put away all doubt; dismiss your fears. Say with the apostle Paul, "I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20. Rest in God. He is able to keep that which you have committed to Him. If you will leave yourself in His hands, He will bring you off more than conqueror through Him that has loved you.  {SC 71.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
Amen!!  The Laodicean message does not end with the rebuke, but with the promise!!   :)  It is an encouraging message to those who eyes are no longer blind to their sins.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2014, 05:14:17 AM »
Shall we look at our sins, and begin to mourn, and say, I have done wrong, and I cannot come to God with any degree of confidence? Does not the Bible say, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness"? It is a proper thing for us to have a realization of the terrible character of sin. It was sin that caused Christ to suffer an ignominious death on Calvary. But while we should understand that sin is a terrible thing, we should not listen to the voice of our adversary, who says, "You have sinned, and you have no right to claim the promises of God." You should say to the adversary, It is written, "If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." I am so glad that God has made a provision whereby we may know that he does pardon our transgressions! We do not believe in God as we should, and I have thought that this unbelief is our greatest sin. The psalmist says, "I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin." "Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord. What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry. . . . The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." This is the kind of experience that we should have.  {RH, May 19, 1896 par. 9} 
     We must not think, when we are afflicted, that the anger of the Lord is upon us. God brings us into trials, in order that we may be drawn near to him. The psalmist says, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all." He does not desire us to be under a cloud. We should pray as did David, "Open thou my lips; and my mouth shall show forth thy praise." The Lord would have us lay hold of these promises for ourselves. He does not desire us to go in anguish of spirit. We are not to look at the thorns and the thistles in our experience. We are to go into the garden of God's word, and pluck the lilies, the roses, and the fragrant pinks of his promises. Those who look upon the difficulties in their experience, will talk doubt and discouragement; for they do not behold Jesus, the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world. We should keep our minds upon the love, the mercy, the graciousness of our God, in order that we may become changed into his image, by beholding the divine character. Thus joy will be brought into our experience; for by studying the word of God we shall see that we are not left to our weakness, to our doubts, and that there is no occasion for sinking under discouragement. Talk faith; act faith. Cultivate the faith that works by love, and purifies the soul.  {RH, May 19, 1896 par. 10} 
     I have not always dwelt on the good things of God as I should have done; but I do not make it a practice to look on the dark side. This morning my heart was drawn away from the things that are seen and temporal, to the things that are unseen and eternal. I said, O God, I will pluck the roses and the lilies and the pinks! I will call upon the name of the Lord! I will take the cup of salvation!  {RH, May 19, 1896 par. 11}

Glen

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »
As the shepherd goes before his sheep, himself first encountering the perils of the way, so does Jesus with His people. "When He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them." The way to heaven is consecrated by the Saviour's footprints. The path may be steep and rugged, but Jesus has traveled that way; His feet have pressed down the cruel thorns, to make the pathway easier for us. Every burden that we are called to bear He Himself has borne.  {DA 480.4} 

You've almost certainly heard of the Poem, The Footprints Prayer...

The Footprints Prayer-Footprints in the Sand

One night I had a dream...

I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before us, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that many times along the path of my life, There was only one set of footprints.

I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, You would walk with me all the way; But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, There is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why in times when I needed you the most, you should leave me.

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you, and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you.

-Whenever I hear this Poem spoken of, I picture in my thoughts the character, Pilgrim, (Pilgrim's Progress: by John Bunyan) on his way to the Celestial City, wearing the armour of God (Ephesians 6:10-13; Colossians 3:9, 10).

Ephesians 6:
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Colossians 3:
9 ...put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And... put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. Gospel Workers 1915, p. 285.2

The influence of the Holy Spirit is the life of Christ in the soul. Manuscript 41, 1896.

...This refers to the omnipresence of the Spirit of Christ... Manuscript Releases Volume Fourteen 179.2

It is essential to live by every word of God, else our old nature will constantly reassert itself. It is the Holy Spirit, the redeeming grace of truth in the soul, that makes the followers of Christ one with one another, and one with God. He alone can expel enmity, envy, and unbelief. He sanctifies the entire affections. He restores the willing, desirous soul from the power of Satan unto God. This is the power of grace. It is a divine power. Under its influence there is a change from the old habits, customs, and practices which, when cherished, separate the soul from God; and the work of sanctification goes on in the soul, constantly progressing and enlarging.
The Review and Herald, October 12, 1897.

Here is an example to all generations who should live upon the earth. Although they may be exposed to temptations, yet they should ever realize that there is a defense at hand, and it will be their own fault if they are not preserved. God will be a present help, and his Spirit a shield. Although surrounded with the severest temptations, there is a source of strength to which they can apply and resist them. How fierce was the assault upon Joseph’s morals. It came from one of influence, the most likely to lead astray. Yet how promptly and firmly was it resisted.  The Spirit of Prophecy Volume 1, p. 132.1

...The natural man must die, and the new man, Christ Jesus, take possession of the soul.... You may show by your life what the power and grace of God can do in transforming the natural man into a spiritual man in Christ Jesus.  God's Amazing Grace, p. 226.

I submit to you that when "the natural man" dies, and the "new man, Christ Jesus" takes possession of the soul, THIS is the Early Rain. When the presence of Christ, through His Spirit, works in the Believer to will and to do of His good pleasure, and the soul always seeks the good of others, THIS is "The Latter Rain" which is prophesied of in Scripture; that:

Colossians 1:
26...mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 4:
12 ...the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 ...the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2014, 08:47:47 AM »
In the cleansing of the temple, Jesus was announcing His mission as the Messiah, and entering upon His work. That temple, erected for the abode of the divine Presence, was designed to be an object lesson for Israel and for the world. From eternal ages it was God’s purpose that every created being, from the bright and holy seraph to man, should be a temple for the indwelling of the Creator. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One. But by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple. God designed that the temple at Jerusalem should be a continual witness to the high destiny open to every soul. But the Jews had not understood the significance of the building they regarded with so much pride. They did not yield themselves as holy temples for the Divine Spirit. The courts of the temple at Jerusalem, filled with the tumult of unholy traffic, represented all too truly the temple of the heart, defiled by the presence of sensual passion and unholy thoughts. In cleansing the temple from the world’s buyers and sellers, Jesus announced His mission to cleanse the heart from the defilement of sin,—from the earthly desires, the selfish lusts, the evil habits, that corrupt the soul. “The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? for He is like a refiner’s fire, and like fullers’ soap: and He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and He shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver.” Malachi 3:1-3.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2014, 05:12:35 AM »
It was through self-sufficiency that Peter fell; and it was through repentance and humiliation that his feet were again established. In the record of his experience every repenting sinner may find encouragement. Though Peter had grievously sinned, he was not forsaken. The words of Christ were written upon his soul, "I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not." Luke 22:32. In his bitter agony of remorse, this prayer, and the memory of Christ's look of love and pity, gave him hope. Christ after His resurrection remembered Peter, and gave the angel the message for the women, "Go your way, tell His disciples and Peter that He goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see Him." Mark 16:7. Peter's repentance was accepted by the sin-pardoning Saviour.  {COL 155.4} 
     And the same compassion that reached out to rescue Peter is extended to every soul who has fallen under temptation. It is Satan's special device to lead man into sin, and then leave him, helpless and trembling, fearing to seek for pardon. But why should we fear, when God has said, "Let him take hold of My strength, that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me?" Isaiah 27:5. Every provision has been made for our infirmities, every encouragement offered us to come to Christ.  {COL 156.1} 

No outward observances can take the place of simple faith and entire renunciation of self. But no man can empty himself of self. We can only consent for Christ to accomplish the work. Then the language of the soul will be, Lord, take my heart; for I cannot give it. It is Thy property. Keep it pure, for I cannot keep it for Thee. Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self. Mold me, fashion me, raise me into a pure and holy atmosphere, where the rich current of Thy love can flow through my soul.  {COL 159.3} 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2014, 05:23:46 AM »
I know that this a single sentence that might kind-of be pulled out of context but yet how can it be out of context if this is Christ's theme. Has satan beaten you up with your weaknesses and sins? Well then mediate on this thought...

All His life Christ had been publishing to a fallen world the good news of the Father's mercy and pardoning love. Salvation for the chief of sinners was His theme.  {DA 753.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Amen!!!

Some view God as harsh since the wages of sin is death, but how very wrong is this view of God. He has done all that He can do to save us from ourselves. What a price was paid to redeem the chief of sinners!! What love for the sinner!!

Glen

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:56 AM »
The very trials that task our faith most severely and make it seem that God has forsaken us, are to lead us closer to Christ, that we may lay all our burdens at His feet and experience the peace which He will give us in exchange.  Conflict and Courage, p. 45.5

Thanks for sharing Glen, as I see it when hard and bad times come upon we have to ways of reacting. One will lead away from Christ the other way to seek Christ with all your heart.

Amen, JimB.!

...gospel truth hardens when it does not save. The rejection of light leaves men captives, bound about by chains of darkness and unbelief. The soul that refuses to listen to the invitations of mercy from day to day can soon listen to the most urgent appeals without an emotion stirring his soul... Testimony Treasures Volume 2, p. 291.2

You've perhaps read or heard the poem Footprints in the Sand by Mary Stevenson; telling of when we see only one set of footprints, it is then that Christ carries us. I like to think of this in a different way; following the idea shared by EGW:

Christ taught that His church is a spiritual kingdom. He Himself, “the Prince of peace,” is the head of His church. In His person humanity, inhabited by divinity, was represented to the world.  God's Amazing Grace, p. 14.4

Christ represented what we bay become as His Spirit possesses the inner sanctum of our soul. We become humanity inhabited by Divinity.

...Those whose hearts are filled with spiritual life will not need to be urged to reveal this life. The divine life will flow forth from them in rich currents of grace. As they pray, and as they speak, God is glorified.  Reflecting Christ, p. 197.5

...Christ died to purchase salvation for us. He was raised for our justification, and He ever lives to make intercession for us. His life and death bring salvation to every believing child of God. By His death we are reconciled to God; by His life, as it is wrought out in our life, we shall be saved...  ST June 17, 1903, par. 12

He who drinks of the living water becomes a fountain of life. The receiver becomes a giver. The grace of Christ in the soul is like a spring in the desert, welling up to refresh all, and making those who are ready to perish eager to drink of the water of life. The Desire of Ages, 195

...if (you have yourself) eaten of the Bread of Life; if (you have) drunk of the Fountain of Life, (you) can feed the hungry souls; (you) can give of the Water of Life to him that is athirst. (Your) defects will be forgiven and forgotten. (Your) hearers will not become weary or disgusted, but will thank God for the message of grace sent them through His servant.  Fundamentals of Christian Education, p. 243.1

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
When I came across this today I immediately thought of this thread. May it encourage some reader out there.

I want to say, my sister, you need not cast away your confidence. Poor, trembling soul, rest in the promises of God. In so doing, the enemy's fetters will be broken, his suggestions will be powerless. Heed not the whisperings of the enemy. Go free, oppressed soul. Be of good courage. Say to your poor, desponding heart: "Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." I know that God loves you. Put your trust in Him. Think not of those things which bring sadness and distress; turn from every disagreeable thought and think of precious Jesus. Dwell upon His power to save, His undying, matchless love for you, even you. I know that the Lord loves you. If you cannot rely upon your own faith, rely upon the faith of others. We believe and hope for you. God accepts our faith in your behalf.  {2T 319.2} 
     You have tried to do right, and God is pitiful and compassionate to you. Be cheerful, and bid adieu to gloom and doubts. In indulging these doubts, you dishonor God. There is peace in believing, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Believing brings peace, and trusting in God brings joy. Believe, believe! my soul says, believe. Rest in God. He is able to keep that which you have committed to His trust. He will bring you off more than conqueror through Him who hath loved you. May the Lord bless you and strengthen your trembling faith, is our prayer. We commit these few lines to you, trusting they may do you good.  {2T 319.3}

If you read and you believe it applies to you then rely on upon the faith of your friends here at TRO that God loves you!!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
This is not to encourage the indolent but those who are tempted to think that because of circumstances that their influence doesn't seem to go beyond the home or close friends that they are not fighting the good fight.

There are many who have given themselves to Christ, yet who see no opportunity of doing a large work or making great sacrifices in His service. These may find comfort in the thought that it is not necessarily the martyr's self-surrender which is most acceptable to God; it may not be the missionary who has daily faced danger and death that stands highest in heaven's records. The Christian who is such in his private life, in the daily surrender of self, in sincerity of purpose and purity of thought, in meekness under provocation, in faith and piety, in fidelity in that which is least, the one who in the home life represents the character of Christ--such a one may in the sight of God be more precious than even the world-renowned missionary or martyr.  {COL 403.2} 
     Oh, how different are the standards by which God and men measure character. God sees many temptations resisted of which the world and even near friends never know--temptations in the home, in the heart. He sees the soul's humility in view of its own weakness; the sincere repentance over even a thought that is evil. He sees the wholehearted devotion to His service. He has noted the hours of hard battle with self--battle that won the victory. All this God and angels know. A book of remembrance is written before Him for them that fear the Lord and that think upon His name.  {COL 403.3}