Author Topic: Cash... no longer good?  (Read 6387 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Cash... no longer good?
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
I realize that this law is only for second merchandise but I think this may be a beginning of a trend. And I thought that such thing was against federal laws? I thought that legal tender (cash.. paper or coin) was good for transactions private or public. Anyway... read for yourself. I can't help but wonder if there will be any lawsuits at the state level about this.

http://www.klfy.com/story/15717759/second-hand-dealer-law

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

Re: Cash... no longer good?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Wow. I can't imagine people accepting it with out a fight.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:13:43 AM »
It may be that federal law will be called into play to overturn the law, but I don't know if there is a federal law addressing the issue.  But, when you look at your money, it clearly says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."  I think it could be successfully challenged in court. 

I remember years ago (about 1976, as I recall), my car was in for repairs and I needed to rent a car for a couple of days.  None of the rental agencies would let me rent one with cash (back then I had no credit card or even a checking account).  Finally the Ford dealership rented me one, but I had to put an extra $100 deposit on it before they would do it.  I remember being shocked that no one would take my cash, and thinking that someone with time and money could have challenged it in court--but I wasn't that person.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:26:09 AM »
The same thing happened to me, Walter.

Another trend is going paperless. Some companies penalize us for requesting paper invoices over electronic ones. One day we will not have computers with our stored information so how could we prove anything without them?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:32:06 AM »
You're up rather early, Sybil.  Do you ever sleep?  ;)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:43:17 AM »
I am slowly trying to get back on schedule. Just like dealing with a newborn, Wally - sometimes the days and nights get turned around.

Night before last I was awakened @ 1:30 A.M. Could NOT go back to sleep, so what was I to do? Got up and began my day. By 7PM or so I was a walking zombie and crashed, street clothes and all, even slept on top of the covers! That is a dead sleep! So 3 A.M. rolled around and my rest was over, so I'm gaining on it!  ;D Soon the 9PM to 5AM will return and all will be well!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89