Author Topic: The Fruit of the Spirit  (Read 43543 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Fruit of the Spirit
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
Let's look at something very basic to self-examination to discover whether or not we are "in the faith." Do we love God supremely and our brother(s) as ourselves?

David asked of God:

Psalm 26:2  Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
Psalm 26:3  For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.

To the Corinthians, Paul's instructions have bearing on this subject relative to the Lord's supper:

1Co 11:28  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Co 11:29  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
1Co 11:30  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1Co 11:31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1Co 11:32  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

And again, he says:

2Co 13:5  Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Here is the gauge:

• love,
  • joy,
  • peace,
  • longsuffering,
  • gentleness,
  • goodness,
  • faith,
  • meekness,
  • temperance
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Amen!! And when judging ourselves we can add another verse. "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin."James 4:17. We know what we know. We cannot always know what others understand, but we do know when we violate our conscience. That is sin. Sadly many disagree with Scripture.  If I know it is wrong to eat something that is bad for me, and I do it anyway. For me it is sin.  I will give an example.  I know that most dairy is full of Leukemia Virus. If I yield to the temptation to eat ice cream made out of cow milk, I sin. If you do not know that dairy can cause cancer, and you eat dairy, it is not sin. There is a link here with the fruits of the Spirit. The last fruit is temperance. That is defined as the total abstinence of any hurtful thing and the moderate use of those things that are beneficial. The Christian manifests this fruit.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
We had an excellent sermon today and I was privileged to be called upon to read this very text:

Galatians 5:22, 23:  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

It warmed my heart reflecting upon this topic.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
Light will continue to be accepted and broadcast.  We shall hear this verse quoted more and more as we approach the soon coming of Jesus!  How appropriate that you would read the verse in church.  I assume the text was used as the foundation of the sermon? If so, the sermon must have been very good. 

Have a blessed Sabbath, all.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »
In our current Sabbath School lesson discussion, our Sister Dorine asked a great question:

Is there counterfeit fruit of the Spirit?

Read it there: http://remnant-online.com/smf/index.php?topic=12820.msg138878#msg138878

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:18 AM »
When one is fully emptied of self, when every false god is cast out of the soul, the vacuum is filled by the inflowing of the Spirit of Christ. Such a one has the faith that purifies the soul from defilement. He is conformed to the Spirit, and he minds the things of the Spirit. He has no confidence in self. Christ is all and in all. He receives with meekness the truth that is constantly being unfolded, and gives the Lord all the glory, saying, "God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit." . . . 
     The Spirit that reveals also works in him the fruits of righteousness. Christ is in him, "a well of water springing up into everlasting life." He is a branch of the True Vine, and bears rich clusters of fruit to the glory of God. What is the character of the fruit borne? The fruit of the Spirit is "love," not hatred; "joy," not discontent and mourning; "peace," not irritation, anxiety, and manufactured trials. It is "longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance" (Galatians 5:22, 23). Those who have this Spirit are earnest workers together with God. . . . They speak words of solid sense, and from the treasury of the heart bring forth pure, sacred things, after the example of Christ.--Gospel Workers, pp. 286-288.

Notice the reference: fruits of righteousness. I have also seen the term, fruits of sanctification.  These terms help widen our understanding of the purpose of these graces. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 06:37:05 AM »
For those who have an interest in participating, let's look at each fruit beginning with the first one: Love.

For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth. Ephesians 5:9. And it begins with love. Paul gives us insight into the Spirit's fruit of love, translated as "charity":

1Co_13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co_13:2  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co_13:3  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co_13:4  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co_13:8  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Further down in verse 13, he says this:

1Co_13:13  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

How is it that love is first, the apparent linchpin or cornerstone, upon which all the others are based? I have alluded to it, but tell me how it holds the first position and how it affects all the others that follow, if you believe it does?

Vicki

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
How is it that love is first, the apparent linchpin or cornerstone, upon which all the others are based? I have alluded to it, but tell me how it holds the first position and how it affects all the others that follow, if you believe it does?

Because love is what/who God is. God has promised to dwell in us and we will dwell in Him. As we fulfill our part of the condition the fruit or evidence of His Spirit will be in us because He is in us - love is in us. The old heart of stone is taken away and a heart of flesh has been given to us.

1 John 4:
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
Amen. Why do you suppose it is first in the list of fruit of the Spirit?

I thought of this topic while sitting in church today, passing by it on my way to Galatians.

1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5  Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6  Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7  Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11  When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Considering Paul listed it first, I can see why. Love must sit in our hearts, changed, renewed, regenerated by the Holy Spirit, so that all the fruit is in the life. Read again his words describing what this type of love is. Every other fruit flows from it. Here are some of its attributes:

• Charity suffereth long,
  • is kind;
  • charity envieth not;
  • charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
  • Doth not behave itself unseemly,
  • seeketh not her own,
  • is not easily provoked,
  • thinketh no evil;
  • Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
  • Beareth all things,
  • believeth all things,
  • hopeth all things,
  • endureth all things.
  • Charity never faileth:

I have gone over and over that list. Only the Holy Spirit can create such a condition in the heart to have the ability to express each of these actions!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »
Luke
  10:25   And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 
  10:26   He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 
  10:27   And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 
  10:28   And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. 

Why is this a condition for eternal life? Many will argue that salvation is free and does not require any kind of "works".  But, these have been misled and often mislead others. These are Jesus' Words I am quoting from the Book of Luke.   The reason why this love is necessary is because it is the result of dying to self and living unto Jesus. When we make a full surrender to Jesus, the Spirit takes possession of the heart for as long as we want Him there. Then the fruits of His Spirit are seen in the life, not one is missing. It is Christ, not I.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 01:25:39 PM »
Amen! Further studying, I found this to be another expression of love (charity) spoken by Paul:

Col 3:12-14  Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.  And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

The bond of perfectness! Yes, it is and this little list is so very similar to the fruit of the Spirit. Here is another:

2Pe 1:4  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5  And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6  And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7  And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

The Rounds of the Ladder

• Faith
  • Virtue
  • Knowledge
  • Temperance
  • Patience
  • Godliness
  • Brotherly kindness
  • Charity

Peter goes on to say this:

2Peter 1:8-10,  For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

The arrangement of these character-building graces appears not to be accidental, but rather, they have a logical and sequential order, each naturally following the other. It appears quite necessary, wouldn't you say?

The apostle presents before the believers the ladder of Christian progress, every step of which represents advancement in the knowledge of God, and in the climbing of which there is to be no standstill.

No standstill! Constant growth! No halting or backsliding, only forward movement.

2Peter 1:9  But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Revelation 3 says the same thing of the Laodiceans. Why cannot we gain more faith? Because we are blind, rich and in need of nothing. Where is virtue among us? Why is it only seen in a few? What has become of our knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and charity? Rhetorical question ... let's move to the promise! It is found in verse 10: "If ye do these things, ye shall never fall."

What a promise! What assurance of success while abiding in Christ. None of these things can be accomplished outside of him. Some can be mimicked through selfish motive, but none can spring forth from the soul in genuine Christian action except through a vital connection to the Vine, Christ Jesus.

Back to charity, or love for all, even our enemies, is the crowning grace, the highest step, the eighth round, in the Christian ladder.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
Let's move to the next fruit: Joy. Here are some texts from the holy Bible describing joy:

John 15:8-11  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Psalm 4:7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.

Nehemiah 8:10  Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.

Psalm 16:11  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 32:11  Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

Isaiah 55:12  For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

We are most familiar with these expressions of joy: The Lost Sheep (Luke 15:4-7), The Lost Coin (Luke 15:8-10), The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-24). Happiness is not their condition. JOY is! Jubilant rejoicing! "Joy, not discontent and mourning." I am fearful many see Christians as discontent and mourning! Here is a little sampling of what some say of certain joyless Christians:

The joyless Christian reveals himself by having negative thoughts and talk about others, in a lack of concern for others welfare, and a failure to intercede on others behalf. Joyless believers are self-centered, selfish, proud, and often vengeful and their self-centeredness inevitably manifests itself in prayerlessness. -John MacArthur 

The Christian is a [person] of joy...  A gloomy Christian is a contradiction of terms, and nothing in all religious history has done Christianity more harm than its connection with black clothes and long faces. -William Barclay

The best Christian has not always a joyous day. Our sins make sorrows needful – our lack of watchfulness may bring disquietude and doubt, and, instead of “rejoicing in the Lord,” our hearts may be filled with despondency and gloom. Christian! if you have not this joy “abiding” in you now, you have cause for alarm; for, be assured, it is suspended, not from any lack of love on the part of your Savior, nor from any forgetfulness of you by the Holy Spirit, but, because you yourself have become less watchful, in guarding the citadel of the heart. -John MacDuff

When the heart is full of joy, it always allows its joy to escape. It is like the fountain in the marketplace; whenever it is full it runs away in streams, and so soon as it ceases to overflow, you may be quite sure that it has ceased to be full. The only full heart is the overflowing heart. -C.H. Spurgeon

A pivotal Christian thinker of our time once said, “Joy is the surest sign of the presence of God... The bottom line for you and me is simply this: grimness is not a Christian virtue. There are no sad saints. If God really is the center of one's life and being, joy is inevitable. If we have no joy, we have missed the heart of the Good News and our bodies as much as our souls will suffer the consequences.”

An unthankful and complaining spirit is an abiding sin against God, and a cause of almost continual unhappiness; and yet how common such a spirit is. How prone we seem to be to forget the good that life knows, and remember and brood over its evil – to forget its joys, and think only of its sorrows – to forget thankfulness, and remember only to complain. -John Broadus

If Christians do not rejoice, it is not because they are Christians, but because they are not Christian enough. Joy is the rational state of the Christian in view of his spiritual position in Christ. -Derek Prime and Alistair Begg

You must be made miserable before you can know true Christian joy. Indeed the real trouble with the miserable Christian is that he has never been truly made miserable because of conviction of sin. He has by-passed the essential preliminary to joy, he has been assuming something that he has no right to assume. -Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Any comments? What is the single most important thing in our lives that should cause us the greatest joy known to humans?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 06:07:46 AM »
Answer: John 3:16 & 17.

John 3:16, 17  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Because of this, "His love is an inexhaustible wellspring of joy and peace."

And a reminder:

If we have the love of Christ in our souls it will be a natural consequence for us to have all the other graces--joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance; and "against such there is no law." The law of God does not condemn and hold in bondage those who have these graces, because they are obeying the requirements of the law of God. They are law keepers, and . . . are not under the bondage of the law. . . .  In Heavenly Places, page 244.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
Amen!  When we are given a revelation of that love, it lifts us above all trials and perplexities in this world. There is found our great joy. But, closely related to this comes another great joy. Jesus said "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35.  Therefore, that which we have received from God, we give to others. When we find the one who is seeking truth, and we share the love of God with them, there is no greater joy in the soul than to see the lights come on and the tears begin to flow. This is why we live. Otherwise we may as well be laid to rest.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »
Oh, so true, Richard. It is joy straight from the heavenly courts! A stagnant Christian is void of joy, stuck in a neutral position closely resembling one described in Revelation 3 - the Laodicean - neither cold nor hot. 

Here's another verse in that same vein:

Matthew 10:8  Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Many people associate the second half of this verse with money. God allows us many good things, one of which is a bank account with some funds in it. And for those who cannot work the fields ready for harvest, for one valid reason or another, money certainly can help support others who are able to go. But this verse boils down to the gospel commission. Jesus said these very words to the first evangelists. They had freely received saving truths from the Lord God Himself, the Fountain of living waters. In turn, they assisted in arranging the people, bringing the afflicted ones to the Saviour, and promoting the comfort of all. They watched for interested hearers, explained the Scriptures to them, and in various ways worked for their spiritual benefit. They taught what they had learned of Jesus, and were every day obtaining a rich experience. What joy was theirs! Two thousand years later, this too can be our joy!

When the heart is full of joy, it always allows its joy to escape. It is like the fountain in the marketplace; whenever it is full it runs away in streams, and so soon as it ceases to overflow, you may be quite sure that it has ceased to be full. The only full heart is the overflowing heart. -C.H. Spurgeon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Making merchandise of God's truth would surely interfere with the joy of sharing.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Amen!

If we would give more expression to our faith, rejoice more in the blessings that we know we have,--the great mercy and love of God,--we should have more faith and greater joy. No tongue can express, no finite mind can conceive, the blessing that results from appreciating the goodness and love of God. Even on earth we may have joy as a wellspring, never failing, because fed by the streams that flow from the throne of God.  {MH 251.4}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
Peace

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. This peace is not something that He gives apart from Himself. It is in Christ, and we can receive it only by receiving Him. {MH 247.1} 

Further, Jesus says, "Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest" Matthew 11:28.

Peace and conflict are conditions of the mind and reflections of the heart. A peaceful mind is untroubled, where a mind diseased by sin and selfishness stands ready to spread its cross influence. Does an absence of conflict mean we have peace with God and our fellow man? I can, through some effort, live peaceably among my neighbors while caring nothing for spiritual things. Let’s look back to a lesson on this subject we discussed last year:   

To have peace with God is more than to feel comfortable in His presence. It means that we, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds (Col. 1:21, ESV), have been reconciled and restored to fellowship with God.  Once we were at war with God, but by His death on the cross, Jesus has made it possible for the hostilities to cease and for us to be God's friends and not His enemies.  In one sense, this peace is not something we grow in, as in starting out with just a little bit of peace. Rather, we are reconciled to God, once and for all, by the Cross of Christ. It is an accomplished fact. There is another sense, though, in which we do grow in peace with God. The more clearly we see God's ways and walk in them, the more we appropriate His power to live as His sons and daughters. In this sense, peace with God is indeed a fruit of the Spirit.  As we grow to maturity as children of God, we experience more and more the blessings and benefits of living in His kingdom until we can say, Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble (Ps. 119:165, NKJV).

Romans 5:1  Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

By entering into communion with the Saviour, we enter the region of peace.

When the mind is free and happy from a sense of duty well done and the satisfaction of giving happiness to others, the cheering, uplifting influence brings new life to the whole being.  {MH 257.1}

"Let him take hold of My strength," says the Mighty One, "that he may make peace with Me; and he shall make peace with Me." Isa_27:5.

Colossians 3:15-17  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

When you open your eyes in the morning, thank God that He has kept you through the night. Thank Him for His peace in your heart. Morning, noon, and night, let gratitude as a sweet perfume ascend to heaven. {MH 253.2} 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Amen! Even on your very worst day!! We have so much to be thankful for!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Peace expressed through sorrow, through tribulations and trials is best expressed through this beautiful hymn. We have peace with God, peace with ourselves and others knowing God controls all things. We may rest in Him and therefore have peace.

It Is Well

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot thou has taught me to say
It is well it is well with my soul

My sin oh the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin not in part but the whole
Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul

And Lord haste the day when my faith shall be sight
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend