Author Topic: The Fruit of the Spirit  (Read 43546 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
The Fruit of the Spirit
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »
Mimi has suggested we study the fruit of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22, 23:  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

• When does the Christian receive them?
  • What does obtaining and retaining them have to do with salvation?
  • What does it mean if one is missing?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Fruit of the Spirit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
This subject is one of the most important matters that we can study. Throughout many topics we will find a discussion on the fruit of the Spirit. Why is it so important? Because a great deception has come upon professing Christian churches. Many, so many are buried alive when baptized.  They never died to self. This is the reason for so many perplexities in the church. Why are so many brought into the church without being "born again"? Because the Words of Jesus are not taught and they are not understood.

Let's look at what Jesus said about the new birth.
John
  3:1   There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 
  3:2   The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 
  3:3   Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 

Jesus was speaking to a man who needed to be converted. But, Nicodemus thought he was just fine as he was. He had no idea that he was not going to heaven in his present condition. So, Jesus is helping him to see his need. He tells him he must be born again. Like many today, Nicodemus does not accept the message. Today, we have multitudes of Nicodemuses.  Many believe they are "born again" when in fact they are far from it. How can we tell who is truly converted and who is not? Is it possible for me to know if I am truly born again? Yes, it is. None ought to be baptized until they have given evidence of the new birth. This topic is dedicated to helping us better understand how it is that we can know if someone is ready to be baptized and brought into church membership. And, even more than this, we need to know our present condition even if we were converted when baptized. Otherwise we are just "playing" church when in fact we are the walking dead.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
Thank you, Richard. This topic is important to my heart because its depth and breadth is not often fully understood and that begins with me. This is a much broader subject than first believed.

A friend called yesterday and we came round to this topic. As he was talking, it dawned on me how wide this subject is. Because of my past tendency to learn in segments, I could see how the fruit of the Spirit fit in to other Bible teachings I had not before considered. Yes, it is quite elementary to some, but its broader effects are tremendous when it comes to being in Christ, abiding in Him and the effectual outcome of our Christian experience.

You have just answered one of the questions shown above:
  • When does the Christian receive them?
At conversion, at the new birth.

Thank you for opening this up for discussion.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
It is a good time to study the subject. Since you are already into it, share with us from Scripture how it is that we know the new birth is connected to the fruit of the Spirit.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:09:02 AM »
I will.

Here are other related thoughts:

fruit, works, books, judgment.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »
share with us from Scripture how it is that we know the new birth is connected to the fruit of the Spirit.

Eze 36:23  And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.
Eze 36:24  For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.
Eze 36:25  Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26  A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Rom 6:20  For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
Rom 6:21  What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
Rom 6:22  But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Joh 15:1  I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
Joh 15:2  Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
Joh 15:3  Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Joh 15:4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:6  If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Joh 15:7  If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Joh 15:8  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

Rom 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
Amen!  Not our words, but the Word of God.  How important is this truth? It hits right at the great deception that has come into the Christian churches. And, I might add, it hits at all false religion.  A religion of works is what is seen throughout the world. But, here we see that there is a power given to sinful man that produces the good fruit. It is not man alone, but man inviting into his heart the Spirit of God. Man then retains his sinful flesh, but has become a partaker of the divine nature possessing God through the Spirit. It is the third person of the godhead that is revealed in the life of all truly converted Christians.

Mimi, your chosen verses were very good in revealing the connection between salvation and the fruits of the Spirit. Let's add a few more that are even more pointed.

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again."  John 3:5-7.

Here we are told that unless we are born of the Spirit, we cannot enter heaven.

We are studying the Book of Galatians in Sabbath School and the truth that Paul taught there is used to excuse sin because he was speaking strongly against a religion of "works". He stressed justification by faith. It is true that our justification for life can only come from believing in Christ with all the heart. But, it is also true that this belief produces obedience to all that we know to be true. Thus, the sinner who continues in sin, can know that his "faith" is not saving faith.

Listen to the Apostle Paul speak plainly about the fruit of salvation in Christ:
Romans 8
  8:6   For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 
  8:7   Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 
  8:8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 
  8:9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 
  8:10   And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 
  8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 

There is indeed no condemnation to those who walk after the Spirit, but there is only condemnation to those who walk after the flesh.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:30 AM »
Amen! You posted this in the current SS lesson:

If you are still having problems with this simple gospel that has power, then study the investigative judgment where the books of heaven are opened so that we all who have professed to love God, can be judged by our works. This judgment reveals both the outward deeds and the inward motives. The correct understanding of the judgment will help all understand what Paul was teaching. It has nothing to do with saying that we cannot obey God. Jesus is not the minister of sin. When He comes into the heart, we are given power to do that which He asks of us. His law is then written upon the heart.

Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Outward deeds and inward motives are "caused" by the Spirit while we are attached to the True Vine. It is the only way we can keep His moral law, loving God and our neighbor as ourselves. It is written in the heart. As such, we will produce much fruit.

Eze 36:27  And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance will be the driving force of the Spirit within me that make up all my motives. Good works, written in the books of heaven, will stand as evidence of our connection with The Vine.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:46:43 AM »
Psalm 33:11-22:

The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
  The LORD looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men.
 From the place of his habitation he looketh upon all the inhabitants of the earth.
  He fashioneth their hearts alike; he considereth all their works.
  There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength.
  An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength.
  Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;
  To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.
 Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.
  For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
  Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Amen!!

It is always good to study the truth by not taking a portion of it out of its context. We have shared the verses from Scripture that reveal the fruit of the Spirit, but let's now look at some of the surrounding verses so that we get a fuller understanding of the message being given in this case by the Apostle Paul.

Galatians is  often thought of as the epistle that hammers home the subject of righteousness by faith. And it surely does. But, there is a great success story we must consider as we listen to the teachings based on Galatians.  The success story involves not God's success, but Satan's.  He has twisted the truth about righteousness by faith in such a manner that sinners can remain  sinners and believe they have eternal life.  "Just believe" is the mantra of millions of professing Christians. We are under grace, not under law. Obedience in not required for salvation, only faith!

So, let us look at these verses that appear just ahead of the fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians
  5:19   Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 
  5:20   Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 
  5:21   Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 

When a teacher sent of God teaches from the Book of Galatians, these verses must be a central focus. Why? Because they are not taught properly in professing Christian churches today. These verses reveal that justification by faith is more than "just believing".  The devils believe and tremble. Justification by faith is more than a mere profession of faith.  Paul lists the above works of the flesh and tells us very plainly that "they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." 

This presents a real problem for the multitude who believe that sin does not disqualify them from heaven. After all justification is by faith ALONE. 

How do we reconcile justification by faith and the fact that sin will keep us from heaven?  It is not difficult unless one has been drinking cool-aid spiked with poison. The Bible speaks of such a situation. "And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication." God will punish those who deceived the nations of the world with false doctrine. 

A sinner is justified in having eternal life (salvation) when he dies to self and lives unto Christ. This is represented by baptism. When a person surrenders all to Christ, he is "born again".  How is he born again? Jesus tells us that he is born of the Spirit. When self is laid in the dust and man surrenders to the grace of God, He, the Holy Spirit comes into the heart of man. This is why the fruits of the Spirit are seen in the life.  Why are not the works of the flesh seen in the life? Because the flesh is kept under by the mind which is now under the control of Christ.

When Adam sinned, he lost the power of self control. He could no longer control the lower powers of the flesh with the higher powers of his mind. Reason, intellect, and conscience were still active, but they could not control the flesh. The carnal mind is enmity (hatred) with God. Adam was aligned with Satan and sin.  But, through the indwelling presence of God (reconciliation),  man is a partaker of the divine nature. He is given power to control his evil flesh.  This is why the promise is made that God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear. Have you ever wondered why you are tempted beyond what you can bear? It is because the promise is conditioned upon you being a partaker of His divine nature. If you do not have the Holy Spirit in your heart, then you cannot resist the smallest temptation.  You may not appear to sin, but God looks upon the heart. He reads the motive of your actions. If you obey because it is in your selfish interest to, that is not the same as obeying from the heart.

The works of the flesh reveal a separation between man and God. This is why those who do such things will not enter the kingdom of God.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:39 AM »
So, let us look at these verses that appear just ahead of the fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians
  5:19   Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
  5:20   Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
  5:21   Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Okay. It is a nasty list yet it certainly encompasses our capacity outside Christ.

• Adultery,
  • fornication,
  • uncleanness,
  • lasciviousness,
  • idolatry,
  • witchcraft,
  • hatred,
  • variance,
  • emulations,
  • wrath,
  • strife,
  • seditions,
  • heresies,
  • envyings,
  • murders,
  • drunkenness,
  • revellings,
  • and such like

Paul is quite thorough but he adds, "and such like." It is a fearful thing to consider anything else added to his list, yet there is more to the evil that makes up the works of the flesh manifest in the mind of that great fallen angel that we duplicate when given free rein to sin.

Shall we begin at the top considering what is acted upon versus what lies in the heart and differentiating the two?

Adultery. 

asygo

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
Is adultery simply the married version of fornication?
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
Interesting question yet it appears to be quite different.

In heaven-approved marriage there is a sacred, sanctified covenant between man, woman and God. "The high, noble, lofty design of God in the institution of marriage" (AH, 55), is a matter altogether different from unmarried individuals committing fornication. Unmarried fornicators sin against their own bodies and as a consequence, God but there are no binding oaths between the parties. He expects purity of both body and soul of all His people, yet adultery is a more base sin, could we say? Covenants are broken from every angle.

What is your thought? How do you see the difference?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »

Shall we begin at the top considering what is acted upon versus what lies in the heart and differentiating the two?

Adultery.

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but Jesus cut through all the debris when He said that whoever looks on a member of the opposite sex with lust, has committed adultery.  And He didn't qualify that by saying that either party had to be married to be guilty.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
Yes, both are sinful requiring confession and forgiveness; however, a sin acted out is not the same as harboring it in your heart. That was the differentiation I intended and maybe it was not wise to include that. I did ask the question ...  :-\

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
How does one justify teaching salvation in sin when the Bible is so very clear that those who do such things do not have salvation?  What Paul is teaching is that the works of the flesh disqualify one from heaven. Why? Because you can't get such bad fruit from a good tree. He understood what Jesus was teaching. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot manifest the works of the flesh when you are possessed by the Holy Spirit. When one is converted (justified), he  has Christ within through the third person of the godhead. This is why there are no works of the flesh and why every one of the fruits of the Spirit are in the life.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
Amen! It is crystal clear!

asygo

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
What is your thought? How do you see the difference?

Yes, there is certainly a much bigger problem when the marriage vow is broken. But what I'm thinking about is the actual act (or thought). Is adultery just the act of fornication while married (fornication being unlawful intimate relations)?
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

asygo

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
But it may be that I haven't thought about it much. I just try to stay away from both. :)
By God's grace,
Arnold M. Sy Go
-end-

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
Me, too. Let us forgo the horrid works of the flesh list and move on to something exceedingly positive.