Author Topic: Winter 2011/12  (Read 24555 times)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Winter 2011/12
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
They've upped the projected totals to 8-14"--That's 20-35 cm. for you metric folks.  This will be a typical "nor'easter," which usually doesn't occur until midwinter--and some years we don't see one.  Glad it's not happening until tonight, though.  Last time we  had a significant October snowfall it jumped back up to 60 (15 C) within a few days.  That scenario is not in the forecast this time, however.  :(  I've always liked Arizona . . . .  8)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 05:46:23 AM »
Remember, Wally, some parts of AZ get snow!  ;D
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »
Mountains in the summer; desert in the winter.   :)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
You retired yet?
 ;D ;D ;D
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
Who can afford to retire these days?  ::)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »
12" of snow overnight; heavy, wet, just like when I lived near Lake Tahoe.  Biggest October snow storm I've ever experienced.  Global warming, of course.  ::) At least I had enough presence of mind last night  to get the snow shovels out and put them by the doors.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »
Apparently you didn't loose power like the million in the lower New England states. According to the news, it got pretty bad.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
We lost power for about 8 hours, but I posted that from my phone.  We also have a generator, which we ran for about 4 or 5 hours this morning until the power came back on.  The funny thing about this storm is that snowfall totals were inconsistent.  While we had a foot up here; at the bottom of the hill (1.5 miles away, and 350' lower in elevation) they had about half that.  Now the sun is trying to come out.  :)

Vicki

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
We've had to deal with global warming out here, too. Our first frost was 4 days late instead of 2 weeks early as the weather forecast kept saying.  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »
Global warming or signs of the soon coming of Jesus?  Those who do not know God are like the ones who built the Tower of Babel.  They attributed the great flood to nature. There will be an awakening before long and global warming will be seen to be something other than what it is today.  The multitude of disasters will be blamed on God because of the failure to keep the Sunday sacred.  :(   When in fact God is withdrawing His Spirit from the world and Satan is allowed to work his evil at an increased rate. The number and severity of earthquakes has nothing to do with nature, but everything to do with Satan working his evil.  These "natural" disasters will continue to increase in both frequency and intensity as the coming of Jesus draw near. Jesus has warned us of what is coming.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2011, 05:50:34 AM »
We have had a tiny bit of frost two times here in southern Michigan. Happy with just that. Now if it would stay that way (beautiful days) we would have it made. However, it is only a matter of time. :)
With Christian Love,
Marie

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
Since that unexpected and unwelcome snow storm last weekend, we've had beautiful sunny weather.  A few 50's; some 40's.  Finally, by yesterday the snow had melted off of my garden and I was able to go out and pick some more Swiss Chard.  It had been flattened, but it still looks good.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Great video of a murmuration. I have watched other flocks of birds do similar maneuvers. It's fascinating to watch.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2011, 03:08:15 AM »
I saw that video recently.  It came from someone on the local birders' hotline.  Anyway, it reminded me of a swarm of locusts, and got me to murmuring about "sky rats," an "affectionate" name given to starlings by many North American birders.  Even so, it's still pretty impressive.

Sister Marie

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
 ;)That almost makes you wonder if it is true. It is amazing!!!!
With Christian Love,
Marie

Sister Dee

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
The operative words for our long-term forecast are: warmer and milder.  ;)

It is 5 degrees here this morning.  Our high will be in the 20's, as was yesterday.  Today, however, we have sunshine.  We have had cold temperatures, wind, and some snow (didn't pile up though, much to my children's disappointment!) the last four days.  Our daytime highs will be in the 30's for the rest of the week. 

This is not the kind of weather we were having a year ago, when it really was mild!  Global warming strikes again!   ;)

Now, if it has been doing that here, I can only imagine what our dear friends north of us are experiencing. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2011, 08:41:58 AM »
It is 7 at the moment. Pipes surrounding north plumbing are frozen and all efforts are to gently thaw them. While we were not caught off guard on other matters, that area slipped my mind. It was on the "insulate" list last summer, a job that obviously did not get done. 

There is nothing quite like country living that includes hauling water in 7 degree temps. Character building.

We have 8" of snow with ice at the base. This will be our 2nd day home-bound. Tomorrow is much more promising with a predicted high of 37. Thursday will be even better, 41! 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Sister Dee

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2011, 09:05:58 AM »
41 on Thursday?  I must have tuned into the wrong channel for the weather report this morning.  That surely sounds a lot better and would mean even warmer for us!   ;D

We left our faucets dripping last night and will do so tonight as well.  Having lived in this house for thirteen years, this has only been necessary this year.  We didn't want a repeat of frozen pipes like we had in January.  And, it is only the first part of December.  But perhaps, we are getting it over early this winter and then we can enjoy the milder weather "they" forecasted!   :)

Sister Marie

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
It seems rather early to me for frozen pipes, even for your area Sybil? Is this common so early there?
We've had a nice fall but not as nice as last year. This is really the first week thing will be in the 30's and some in the 20's here in Michigan. Compared to your area, and being so much farther north, I feel really good about being here. :)
With Christian Love,
Marie

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »
There have been years when we've been below 0 before this.  This year, 17 is the coldest so far (at my house, at least), and that was a couple of weeks ago, during the mildest November on record.  We've had 2 big snow storms, one in October and one in November, but they both melted away rather quickly.  45 right now and drizzling.  No complaints here.  The wood pile is looking good.  Our time will come, but every log I don't burn this winter is one less I have to cut next summer.  :)