Author Topic: Fall 2011  (Read 9545 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Fall 2011
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:05:46 AM »

Wild sunflowers began blooming the first week of August. Unheard of around here. They are very late summer-blooming, so I kept a close eye on the yellow flowers crowning the Chamisa plant shown above, a sure sign of fall. They are blooming all over. Typically they are late September-blooming followed by the purple aster, then comes winter.

Global warming?  ??? Not here. Nature a little off course? I think so.

Sorry to begin this topic so soon, but fall is in the air. The cantaloupes are full of blooms. I hope they make it to harvest.   
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Fall 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:55:20 AM »
Sorry to begin this topic so soon, but fall is in the air.

It's so funny that you've started this today. Just yesterday I noticed that a neighbor's Fire Bushes have just the slightest tint of red in them already. I can't believe we are talking about this already.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:42 AM »
So this "incident" is not so isolated. Interesting ...

Vicki

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
We had to start a fire to take the chill out of the air a few mornings ago.  :P This summer has not been as hot as previous years. I count it a blessing, but I don't enjoy using the wood stove so soon.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »
Global warming? Maybe in Texas, but we have had a wonderful summer. Few days over a hundred!!! That is most unusual.  And, we had rain in California this summer which is most unusual. I love fall, so let it begin!!   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
Just when the tomatoes are ripening in abundance, and the potatoes are looking lush, you guys are talking about fall?!

I don't expect my first frost until the first week of October; and the leaves start turning in about a month.  Don't rush it.  ;D

Speaking of global warming; Al Gore went on a rant recently, using foul language, and accusing the media of paying "pseudo-scientists" to question global warming.  Is he cracking up, or what?
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
No, he is not cracking up. He accomplished that years ago.  ;)

Vicki

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
 ;D :-X

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 05:14:17 AM »
This talk about fall reminded me of something that I saw a couple of days but dismissed thinking that it was way too early.... but a few days ago I saw a flock of geese flying in a southern direction. I figured that it was a flock flying from one lake to another. However, this morning I saw another flock flying directly south. A sign of fall or just a couple coincidences?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
Since Canada Geese now breed all over the northern US and Canada, it's hard to tell if a particular flock is southbound or just looking for greener pastures.  Ducks and geese generally don't migrate until just before things begin to freeze up.  So, when you see large flocks moving in October, you can be pretty sure they are true migrants.  I don't see too many migrating waterfowl around here until October.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
Nature is out of order. Satan is at work and has managed to deceive the multitudes blaming it on man. But, soon he will be at work to blame it on God.  The winds are being released and trouble is coming upon the earth. It is already here in fire, flood, earthquake, tsunamis, murders, disease, famine, wars, and rumors of wars. The Bible is accurate in this and all else. 2012 is coming soon and we shall be hearing much about the end of the world, but it is not yet. Satan has his counterfeits to get our eyes off of the reality of the soon coming of Jesus and the destruction that proceeds this greatest of all events.

Fall for us is not as it is for you Wally. We still have growing season at its beginning and winter  generally is four months away from the beginning of fall. I hope that the geese flying south is not a harbinger of an early and severe winter. It would cause much suffering in the midst of an economic depression for so many out of work. We can expect that fuel prices will stay high and my go higher, even in our difficult economic environment.

Yes, fall is a blessing, but winter is not going to be nice. But, God is in control and will use all for the good of those who love Him and keep His commandments.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »
The cantaloupe patch is growing, growing, growing, producing blooms aplenty but no fruit, not yet. The late appearance of the heirloom tomato plants are finally bearing fruit. Our overnight lows have been in the low 50s and this has me a bit on edge. This morning confirmed other "signs" that fall is here: the aster is blooming. Next step? A freeze and the onset of very cool days/nights and winter. The eastern slope of the ski basin had snow on it. I actually stopped on our mountain road to make sure it was snow and not low-hanging clouds. It was snow.  :'(

If this pattern continues, I will need to begin bringing in the hostas, geraniums, ficus and philodendrons. It's too early!!!   :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
The cold front forecast for the nation hit here 12 hours late. I left home this morning @ 11 with temps in the low 80s. When I returned @ 3 it was 55 degrees.

I pray this brings some relief to those states suffering from punishing heat! 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
Surveying the garden happened late in the day today and what did I discover? Yellow leaves everywhere. The young aspens turned overnight and the cantaloupe leaves - yellow. They are finished. We had a frost and they were halfway to maturity. So very sad for no outcome to a lot of work. Am very glad the outdoor potted plants came in after sundown Sabbath.

The cottonwoods along the creek are also covered in yellow. Freshen the coats and polish the boots! Let's hunker down for another winter of study and fellowship. Come November, I will have known you fabulous people for five years! What a great discovery you were when I found myself socked in beneath four feet of snow in 2006. Thanks for having me and thanks even more for keeping me all this time!  :)

Vicki

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »
And thank you for pulling me over here.  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
 :-* You are such a blessing!

Goodnight, George.  ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »
Pulled the covers up last night, but tomorrow our daytime temps are supposed to be up in the 90s again.  So, our fall is still on the summer side. But, with the days noticeably shorter, winter is coming. 

Tamara

• humble servant
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 05:23:27 AM »
Well guess what spring has sprung in lovely northern new south wales but big camp has also come and of course in usual form it is raining and hailing! Prior to that I have been eating avocados, bananas, the first of the very early mangoes (what is happening to the seasons?) and all the baby ducklings have hatched and the calves are all running around after their mothers again! Weather is finally warming a little and lazy afternoons spent reading by the creek are finally coming through :) I love being in the southern hemisphere!
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »
You bring back memories of Queensland!  Avocados, pineapple, custard apples, mangoes, and pawpaw...and those little ladyfingers! Until one has had one, they do not know what a banana is supposed to taste like.  One ripened on the tree.  We are due for a visit. Need a good reason to visit other than the fruit!! God knows and He will work it out.

We are happy for you Tamara. Spring in Australia is wonderful!  Bush ripened pineapples!!!  :)

Sister Dee

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
Well, is it fall or spring?  We were just out in the back yard and the children found some blooms on our lilac bush!  I've never heard of this happening in the fall, but maybe it does?   ???