Author Topic: The Sabbath Day  (Read 4394 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
The Sabbath Day
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:14:35 AM »
I thought it would be good to begin a new topic on the Sabbath.  Let's begin with looking at Pastor Wilson's current article in Adventist World. He gives us some good insight.

"As Sabbath approaches on Friday evening we will be able to sense a difference. This is the day God sanctified, He blessed the day, He made some thing special of this particular day (Gen. 2:3). We must remember this and resist the temptation to allow extraneous things to enter into the day, such as business activities that carry over into the Sabbath hours."

"Although sabbath is about rest, it's also about involvement, especially in the worship experience, where as many people as possible should be actively participating."   Adventist World

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

tjgspook

Re: The Sabbath Day
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
Wonder how Pastor Wilson would feel about churches conducting church business, i.e., nominating committees, church board meetings, church business meetings, other church meetings, not including praise and worship on the Sabbath? To me this is a blatant violation of the Sabbath, but I know of churches doing this.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:48:02 AM »
Good morning, tjgspook.  Good to see your post. Welcome to our online family!

Revival and reformation is coming, dear friend. We need to do what we can with our influence to walk in the light as Jesus is in the light. One man cannot change the church, but one person can set a holy example. Let the reformation begin in our lives and it will spread rapidly. Jesus is coming soon!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Peter L

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »
Mark 2:27
(27)  And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
God saw that a Sabbath was essential for man, even in Paradise. He needed to lay aside his own interests and pursuits for one day of the seven, that he might more fully contemplate the works of God and meditate upon His power and goodness. He needed a Sabbath to remind him more vividly of God and to awaken gratitude because all that he enjoyed and possessed came from the beneficent hand of the Creator. {PP 48.2}
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

wigina

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
I wish that some one could help me on this! I do not remember a Sabbath day thathave   there was torrential rain as to prevent people from  going to church  and especially between the first and third hour.x csn somebody do for us a quickbsearch to determine weather avalanches tsunami and any otherb naturai calamities have occured in the immediate past

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Would the destruction of a Seventh-day Adventist Church fill the bill? It would be impossible to attend that church on the Sabbath Day.  No matter what the condition, church can be anywhere. In wars, they do not stop on the Sabbath Day. So, at times bombs may be falling on churches on the Sabbath Day. I know that recently some of our churches have been closed on the Sabbath due to  violence against Christian churches.

wigina

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »
No brother, Natural acts if God like rain, blizzards and the like. I have observed that when it's the rainy season, somehow the rain subsides on the sabbath and I do not have to put an extra effort to congregate. One Sabbath morning (our church is sandwiched between two buildings) the owner to the left was doing some renovations! It was so noisy we had to shiut practically to here each other I think many of us prayed for intervention! Suddenly the noisy machine stopped just before Devine service. My wife opinned that someone may have gone and talked with them I said no! The machine had just stalled (it was a concrete mixer) the enguneers came and looked at it and they tried to repair the machine but in vain! Immediately after tge pastor had given the last prayer, the thing roared back to life! Well the next Sabbath the first elder confirmed my theory. He said that we should not joke with the solemnity of the Sabbath.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
What do we say when an "act of God" destroys a church building?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
We lay the blame where it belongs:  with the archenemy of God and man.  And then we remind ourselves that God overrules the devices of Satan for good, even though we may not be able to understand it at the time.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

wigina

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
Exactly! It is the same thing when we are afflicted! Thats why we have the story of Job. Thats also why we have the story of the two earthly temples. That as long as we do right, then God does  not intend to put us in any position of pain yet the devil does. There is a war for oir souls we must never give Jesus a hard time convincing His Father that we are capable. Let Jesus hve an easy time defending us by abiding in Him.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
Sometimes God actually destroys churches in an act of judgment. We know of one He plans on destroying when we read of the seven last plagues and other related chapters in the book of The Revelation.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89