Author Topic: Free Creationist audio downloads from Answers in Genesis  (Read 4542 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Free Creationist audio downloads from Answers in Genesis
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
Each audio is only up for one week. The first one is on radiocarbon and radioactive dating. Get the first one here.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Free Creationist audio downloads from Answers in Genesis
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:45:06 AM »
AIG has good material, but you have to be careful.  They are sometimes guilty of the same kinds of eisegesis that afflicts so many of our evangelical friends.  When they stick to observable science, they are very good.  When they engage in speculative theories, they can be nearly as bad as the evolutionists.  If they had the benefits of the SOP they would not come to some of their unwarranted conclusions.

One example is how they jump through numerous hoops to try to prove scientifically that all the light from all the distant stars (even those which are billions of light years away) reached earth in less than 6000 years.  They stumble over Gen. 1:16, insisting that this means that the entire universe outside our solar system was created in 6 days, about 6000 years ago.  There is no reason to take that position, since the reference to the stars can easily be understood as a parenthetical statement to address the question that would be surely asked by future generations:  namely, "who made the stars?"  They also take the position that earth is the only inhabited planet, and that the devil and all the other angels were created during the 6 day creation week.  The SOP is clear that there are numerous worlds that have never fallen, and which were created before ours was, and that Satan and his angels fell before man was created.  And the fact that "God bore long with Lucifer" indicates that there was quite a period of time involved before he was cast out of heaven.

But, as I said, for the most part, their material is very good, and very timely in this age of rampant evolutionary "evangelism."
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:19:27 AM »
They also take the position that earth is the only inhabited planet, and that the devil and all the other angels were created during the 6 day creation week. 

It doesn't surprise me that they believe the earth is the only inhabited planet but I had no idea that they believed that the devil and other angels were created during day 6. To believe such things sounds like they either have an alternate explanation to the first chapter of Job or they ignore it.

Job 1:6  Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Job 1:7  And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Another couple of texts to keep in mind when thinking about this are these...

Heb 1:2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Heb 11:3  Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
First let my correct the misleading part of my post.  I didn't mean to imply that they they teach that the angels were created on day 6; only that they were created during the 6 days of creation.  I could have said it more clearly. 

The problem with that belief is that it goes beyond what Scripture says.  Nowhere does Scripture say specifically when the angels were created.  To assert that they were created during the first 6 days of this earth's history is eisegesis, pure and simple.  If we didn't have the SOP, we might be a little unclear about the details, but I believe Scripture is on the side of angels being around before our world was created.

There used to be, and maybe still is, a place on their website where you can ask questions and they will respond.  Knowing their position on this issue, I asked them the logical question which arises from a straightforward reading of Job 38:4, 7.  Namely, who were the sons of God; the ones who "shouted for joy" when God "laid the foundations of the earth?"   They never responded to my question.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
I listened to an old Kent Hovind video this week. He stated that Lucifer did not fall until after the 6 days of creation because God pronounced everything good on day #6. It stretches the text quite a bit to include everything everywhere was very good after those 6 days. Everything God made concerning earth being very good at that point is keeping to the topic of what is being recorded in the rest of the chapter. 

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Genesis 1:31

Whether he believes Lucifer and all the angels were was also created in those 6 days he didn't say.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
Getting back on topic, I have listened to some of the audio (will complete it later) and Dr. Snelling gives such a clear definition of what radiocarbon dating is and how it works, that I finally understand it. He also points out why it is inaccurate and tells of experiments conducted to show why it is inaccurate. Very good audio.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
What Kent Hovind and those who believe as he does seem to forget, or not realize, is that the Bible was written for human beings on planet earth.  It deals with the great controversy between Christ and Satan, and God's provision for dealing with it.  News about what's going on in the rest of the universe is not a prime focus of Scripture, and we shouldn't expect to formulate too many concrete ideas about it from what we find in the inspired Word.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
Getting back on topic, I have listened to some of the audio (will complete it later) and Dr. Snelling gives such a clear definition of what radiocarbon dating is and how it works, that I finally understand it. He also points out why it is inaccurate and tells of experiments conducted to show why it is inaccurate. Very good audio.

There are some good books that cover this as well.  All of the dating methods (those which use the decay of radioactive isotopes as their method) are flawed.   They give wildly differing dates.  They give ridiculously old dates for objects of known and recent origin--such as recently formed volcanic rock dated at billions of years old.  That should end the debate right there, but those dates are ignored by evolutionists until they get a date that is consistent with their preconceived ideas.

Carbon 14 has a half life of only between 5 and 6 thousand years, so it shouldn't even exist in organisms that are supposedly millions of years old--and yet it does exist.

Very interesting stuff, but you won't find it in your high school or college science books.

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
We must remember that Kent Hovind does not have some of the insight that we as SDAs have. I believe he is Baptist. While his debates have a alot of humor they cause evolutionists to put their tail between their legs and slither away. He holds the audiences attention and effectively undermines evolution.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
It's been a long time, but I have watched some of Kent Hovind's debates.  I don't recommend them because I believe he damages the cause of Christ, more than helps it.  He mocks and ridicules his opponents, which will never win anyone to Christ.  There is other material out there (such as that from Walter Veith, or Mike Riddle) which is just as good, without the unchristlike behavior.

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
I respectfully disagree. Kent Hovind makes the theory of evolution and therefore those who believe in it look foolish. On a public platform like that evolution and its teachers should not be made to look sensible or respectable for they are neither. Evolutionists are out to make Creationists, the Bible, and the God of Creation look stupid .

For instance Kent Hovind said to his opponent " You are NOT the enemy. You are Working for the enemy but you are NOT the enemy." And then he smiles. I don't see that much different than saying "get thee behind me , Satan.

He makes evolution look like just what it is. " There was a big bang, and then molten rock, and then it rained for thousands of years and then there was soup, and the soup came alive and then (showing a can of soup with a shrimp on the label) there's GRANDPA ! " The people laugh and,  think , how ridiculous !

These evolutionists out on a public debate like that remind me of Goliath jesting at the God of heaven. Was Goliath humiliated ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.