Author Topic: BSOD  (Read 3466 times)

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
BSOD
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
It's happened to me twice today. I've been searching Google to see what I can find. If it's a hardware problem, well, it's a laptop and there isn't much I can do. If it's software, I uninstalled the Webreg that came with Avast! when I upgraded yesterday. I hope that's the problem. I also learned how to stop turn off automatic restart so I can at least see what's on the blue screen. I don't know how to tell if I need updated drivers. I had a bad experience with allowing Windows to upgrade a driver and it took a computer tech to find out how to do a system restore. So I don't want to just start downloading drivers (from Toshiba which is what this is) unless I know for certain I need to upgrade.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: BSOD
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:53 AM »
Linda, I don't know what is causing your BSOD but Toshiba has a very good support website that after you punch in your make and model it will give you a list of all of the available drivers for your particular model. Have you googled the stop error that starts with "0x0....."?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
You are so right. I made a big mistake by letting HP update some of my files. All was well before they did their updating.  What a waste of time to fix it. I did a system restore and it got rid of the new and better Nvidia drivers that caused my screen to be out of adjustment. Nothing I could adjust on the monitor or computer would work. From now on, only Microsoft will update my files and even then I pray very hard.  Things are getting very complicated.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
I haven't had any further problems yesterday or today. I haven't updated anything. I prefer to leave well enough alone. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »
A week or so ago I downloaded a trial program, installed, and used it. Shut down for the night. Next morning when I booted up, I had the BSOD. I had to do system restore. Fortunately I had set a restore point before installing the software. It was no loss as I had already decided I wasn't going to purchase the program. But I'm wondering what's going on when I install new programing. Why does it work fine until I reboot? I realize it's a conflict somehwere, but I have no idea how to find out what it is.

Vicki

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
Every now & then I travel over to the computer forum to learn something new. BSOD? Blue Screen of Death.  ;D Someone had a sense of humor amidst tragedy. I learned my something new for the day and will leave quietly.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I thought it was a sophisticated operating system! Have mercy!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
 :D I did too! I mentally prepared my brain to be stretched to the limits before starting to search this one out.  ::) Lesson - don't be intimidated by abbreviations. 

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »
A week or so ago I downloaded a trial program, installed, and used it. Shut down for the night. Next morning when I booted up, I had the BSOD.

There is a way to protect your computer when you're trying new software that you're not sure about. It's called Sandboxie and it's available in 32 and 64 bit versions. With Sandboxie you can install the software in question in a so called "sandbox" where it doesn't affect the rest of the computer. I suggest reading the FAQ so you understand how things work.

http://www.sandboxie.com/
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}