Author Topic: Bird Watching  (Read 16215 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Bird Watching
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
Yes, it was a turkey.  I must have already commented on it. But, I had no idea what was going on.  A few days before the "roadrunner" whizzed by my house, I had seen him on our main road.  He looked lonely, so I stopped to visit.  He is new in the neighborhood, and he was alone. It was our second encounter. I did not know he was alone. I thought he was part of a family of birds, but he is the only one we have seen.  After visiting, I drove away and noticed that he was following. I stopped and we chatted awhile longer. When I say goodbye and drove off he followed again. I felt very badly just leaving him there alone when he was following me. I stopped again, explained I had an appointment and would come and visit again soon. It was the next morning that he was the one late for an appointment. I heard a car roaring up our private road. Looking out the window, I saw the car, it must have been the newspaper delivery car, and close on his tail was the "roadrunner". They both must have been going at least 25 mph.  Roadrunner was only a few feet behind the car. I have never seen a bird run as fast as far as the "roadrunner".   

The neighbor came up yesterday and roadrunner came up in our visit. She too has seen him chasing after cars. She is an anthropologist, so she has her take on the matter.  After talking with her, I agree with the diagnosis. It is most amazing.  Anyone have any ideas what is going on with this turkey bird that chases people, but only when in the car?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:19:13 AM »
He was born by car and it was the first thing he saw when he hatched out of his egg?  I have no idea... :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:02 AM »
What a funny story.

Me: He thinks he is a dog.  ???  :D Why didn't you ask the bird when you chatted?  :) Not making fun of you. I can chat a long time with birds. I talk to cats & dogs, too, but the discussions are never as interesting and usually one-sided.

Son: Trying to defend it's territory! Maybe he thinks he is a car. Or imprinted on humans!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:25 AM »
JimB says as he sticks up his hand.... "oh! oh! Can I guess again??? Maybe it's a she and she thinks she is scaring intruders away from her nest of young ones?"
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 07:20:50 AM »
Son: Trying to defend it's territory!

"Years" ago, when our Turkey was a little chap, he saw his young sister taken away by a big, loud hawk; -he misses her so (heart-broken)...and whenever he sees a car roaring past, he's still looking to catch a glimpse of her, wanting to get her back from that big, loud hawk.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »
...it was a turkey. ...I had seen him on our main road.  He looked lonely, ...and he was alone. ...I thought he was part of a family of birds, but he is the only one we have seen.  After visiting, I drove away and noticed that he was following. I stopped and we chatted awhile longer. When I say goodbye and drove off he followed again. I felt very badly just leaving him there alone...I heard a car roaring up our private road. Looking out the window, I saw the car, it must have been the newspaper delivery car, and close on his tail was the "roadrunner". They both must have been going at least 25 mph.  Roadrunner was only a few feet behind the car. I have never seen a bird run as fast as far as the "roadrunner"...

One day a family stopped past a Feed Store and bought some of those cute little chicks they often have on sale under those warm heat-lamps. It just so happened, that they were also on their way to a family Picnic, and one of the little chicks accidentally got loose without anyone noticing. So; later, when the family got into the car and left, our turkey was left behind, and has been trying ever since to find his lost, "adopted family'.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Vicki

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
... our turkey was left behind, and has been trying ever since to find his lost, "adopted family'.

:D

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
Maybe.....No, you don't think he made it all the down here looking, do you?  I went out looking for him this morning, I felt so badly for him. He appears to be gone. In discussing this with my family, it came to me that the last I saw of him was when he was keeping on the tail of the car speeding up our road. He was not going to let that car get out of his sight. He must have followed the car all the way home!  I cannot find him. And, this seems to answer the question as to how he got here. He followed a car!  :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
I was worried about a sudden stop. He wasn't following too close, was he?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
Yes, he was following too close. He did not have ten bird lengths between him and the car.  I guess he may not have made it home. I never thought about the car stopping suddenly.  :(  I have watched these newspaper cars, they don't stop for anything, they hardly slow down. They just keep moving. So, the "roadrunner" probably made it to their house safely.  I will ask next time I see them and give a final report.

Vicki

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
1. Never take a hatchling away from the mother until she has time to thoroughly  train about chasing cars at a safe distance.
2. Glen meant "the" turkey instead of "our" turkey. I would have gotten one last year but heard too many people say they are so dumb they drown themselves in their water when they sleep.
3. We still haven't learned Richard's theory about why the turkey chases cars.

and now we have another mystery...
4. What happened to the turkey?

Too much suspense. Time to go to the lake to look for normal birds.  Ta-ta. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »
Education cannot be made light of. Because so many reject Bible truth who have attended schools of higher education is no reason to reject learning. Our neighbor the anthropologist told me that she had read about an animal that was indeed imprinted by a vehicle.  I had never heard of such a thing. It seems impossible that a animal would be imprinted to an inanimate object. With the vivid picture in my mind of the turkey following, not me, but my car, and then playing the part of the "roadrunner" it made sense that this poor thing was stuck with a car for a mother figure. How very sad. Satan is not nice. If not for sin, there would not be such cruel things upon this earth. I suppose there are people who do such things for their enjoyment. :(   It will soon be over.  Satan is doing all he can to postpone that soon day. In just eight days we shall witness another one of his cruel deeds. He has used Harold Camping to bring a deception upon many who are ignorant of Bible truth. They will soon experience a great disappointment in not being taken to heaven. Family Radio and Harold Camping have been preaching that judgment day is May 21, 2011.

Picture the "roadrunner" chasing after that car speeding up my road, then picture those who are selling their homes and giving the proceeds to Family Radio, knowing that the end is on May 21. Both are cruel deceptions. We need to pray for these poor deceived people. They will need encouragement on May 22.

Vicki

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
I saw an interesting sight yesterday. A mourning dove somehow got into the chicken pen and couldn't get out. The flash of it's white tail feathers caught my attention as it flew in a panic from one end of the approx 12' pen to the other. The area is covered with bird netting to keep out hordes of sparrows. A few brave sparrows still manage to get in through slats in the gate, but for the most part they are kept at bay. How the dove got in is a mystery, it is too large to fit through the slats. Son ran out and opened the gate to let it fly free. What was so interesting is that there were 5 or 6 other doves sitting at the top of the pen watching. I have never seen birds take an interest in one another like that. True, in groups they will drive off a larger bird of prey to protect themselves, but to have them gather in support and encouragement of one who is trapped is new to me. Touching.

Vicki

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
Too much suspense. Time to go to the lake to look for normal birds.

We were given a diving show by western grebes. I forgot to take the binoculars.  :( But, they were close enough to watch and listen to. It always amazes me to watch birds swim underwater for food.

Richard, did you ever hear more about the "roadrunner?"

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
He is gone.  The neighbor heard a gunshot and thinks that another neighbor killed the turkey. Very sad.

Vicki

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Some things are better not known.  :( Poor misguided bird.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 07:59:39 AM »
This morning Ravens and Magpies were sparring for territorial rights to the willows along the creek. It happens every year. I just happened to be closer to the action than in past years. The sqwaking, fluttering, chasing, diving, soaring was amazing to watch. The Magpies won even though the Ravens are twice as large.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »
I've never experienced a bird war; I imagine it is raucous.  I did a few weeks of work in Jackpot, NV (talk about in the middle of nowhere!) years ago and was warned to cover my head when walking between hotel buildings. I forget what bird was nesting in the trees, big & black is all I recall, but it frequently dive-bombed guests. It is best to give birds a wide berth when they are nesting.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
I can view my bird feeder in my front yard as I sit at my computer. There is a lot of conflict and competition among the birds for access. The most aggressive of the birds I see are the Steller's jays. There are bigger than all of the other birds except my favorites which are the band tailed pigeons. They look majestic to me due to thier size. they are bigger than the common rock pigeons and are almost as big as a crow. They are more wary than the other birds. The slightest movement in my window or if I open the door, sends them away in a hurry.

I have a flock of black headed grosbeaks and some purple finches, and occasionally I have spotted towhees which look a lot like the grosbeaks.
I have oregon juncos and rufous hummingbirds year round. A couple of days ago a lone blackbird visited the feeder. Brewer's I think. This is not their habitat. He must have been passing through. Also there are Northern flickers who land on the feeder sometimes, but they mostly graze in the yard. I scatter birdseed in the yard for the squirrels and the deer and the birds who prefer to feed on the ground. It is interesting to me that the ravens stay away from my territory. They spend time at one of the neighbor's yard, but although they fly around here and I hear them a lot, if they land anywhere within view, they flee if they see me outside.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
Larry, you are real bird watcher!!   Do you have some pictures of the birds in your area? How many different kinds of hummingbirds are in your neighborhood?