Author Topic: For iPhone 4 and iPad owners  (Read 4547 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
For iPhone 4 and iPad owners
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
Apple is secretly (well not anymore) storing your geographical lats and longs with time stamps in a file on your 3G enabled device. Along with info of any wifi networks you've been close enough to detect. Apple has yet to comment yet. Should be interesting. You can read more about it here along with watch a video of the men who discovered this file.

Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: For iPhone 4 and iPad owners
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »
Those rascals! That is so irritating!

Yesterday I had to take grandson into Best Buy. The electronics are beyond comprehension but the graphics "they" have improved upon through the years is astounding.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:46:19 AM »
I don't have an iphone and have no plans to get one or an ipad either. Microsoft is bad enough, why add another bad apple to the basket? (pun intended)
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

ANN releases smartphone apps
News, photos, Commentaries free on iPhone, Android
11 May 2011, Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
ANN staff

ANN released smartphone apps for iPhone and Android.

Adventist News Network content is now available as an app for the iPhone and Android operating systems.

The newly released apps include news, photos and opinion commentaries as they are published. The apps also offer the ANN Styleguide and Glossary, which explains the rationale behind corporate news for a worldwide Christian denomination.

"Regular communication can help keep members and leaders worldwide better connected with each other as well as enhance the church's corporate transparency to its members and the public," said Ansel Oliver, the Seventh-day Adventist Church's assistant Communication director for news.

The app was produced by Simple Updates, a Michigan-based developer, and is available in the iPhone App Store and the Android Market.

Users may also contact the editor or submit photos and story suggestions on the ANN website at news.adventist.org.

Vicki

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
I am one who has gone kicking and screaming into this century. I don't have a cell phone, and really don't want one. (I have a rototiller and would prefer a horse; my garden would be tilled by now.)  But, I am trying to at least understand some of the stuff that is coming out. I have seen the term "app" used before and have no idea what it is. I assumed it was short for application. Exactly what is an "app" for a phone?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
Vicki, you are correct that the term "app" refers to application. These days the smartphones are actually just really small computers and people create applications for them to do certain tasks. For instance there is an app to read barcodes on store products. So when I'm at a store and I'm wondering if anyone has it for cheaper I can scan the barcode with my phone and it will tell me who else in the area stocks the same item and how much they are selling it for. This comes in handy especially when you're at a store that will price match it's competitors. :) 

I have a friend who saved $150 dollars doing this when purchasing a bicycle. The store he was at wanted $300 so he used his app and found another store that was selling it for $150 and the store he was at matched their price.

There is also an app that will tell you which gas station in your town is the currently the cheapest. It's probably not worth driving across town to save 3 cents a gallon but if someone 3 blocks away is 10 cents cheaper then it might be worth it.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
We have to drive to another town to shop - but there still isn't a selection of where to shop. I would drive to the city to save that kind of money on a big ticket item, though. I will remain cell-less and wishing for a horse & plow but I am happy to be more well informed. Thank you, Jim.  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
I am cell phone free as well, Victoria, and intend to remain that way. There are people who need to be accessible 24/7 but I am not one of them and I actually relish being unreachable sometimes.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
I have a cell phone only. And, am unreachable often.  I turn the thing off. Leave it home. Leave it on a charger. And, the same is with my email.  Some expect a response the same day or sooner. :(   Email for TRO is different. I try to get that done daily.

But, times are changing and if you are not on the internet, if you do not do email, then it will come at a price. Satan is at work to make it almost impossible to not be connected. Some software is only available online. Airline tickets are cheaper online if paid for online.  That big computer in the sky has a controller that most fail to see. He is not up, but down under. He used to be up, but fell from grace.  He guides his angels and people from below.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Does anyone believe that you can stop tracking on an android?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
In this way the iOS is superior. However, android is a different beast. You will stop some tracking in adroid if you keep your gps turned off and only use it when you need it. I don't know if anyone has taken the time to notice but it's very hard to shutdown an app in android once you've started it. They are very resilient little things that will restart on their own and most apps will, if you look at their permissions, will track your location and/or your phone calls and address book.

So.. I also would like to know if there is a good way to stop it on Android. I've heart but haven't looked into it yet that there are software firewalls for Android that you can tell what does and doesn't talk to the outside world.