Author Topic: Starting New Plants by "Air Layering"  (Read 1736 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Starting New Plants by "Air Layering"
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »
Since we are in the business of preparing for the difficulties we know are coming, it would be good to get our trees and plants started. Money is always a concern for most of us. Time is critical, so we want as many in the ground as we are going to want. If you don't have money, we have introduced seed saving and propagating by cuttings. Now a new twist. Air layering.

I don't know if what I do it technically air layering, but I take a low lying branch, such we find on fig trees and bend it over so that a portion of the branch in the middle touches the ground. Put a rock on the branch to hold it on the ground or stake it down. Cover the midsection with good soil. The branch will root in the ground and then you can cut the branch from the tree and plant it.

Here is a nice lesson on air layering in midair.  :)

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Starting New Plants by "Air Layering"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
If the plastic bag seems a little difficult, let's make it even easier!!!  Go to the park and check out the garbage cans for some 2 liter soda bottles. For each plant you want to propagate, you will need a bottle.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
Re: Starting New Plants by "Air Layering"
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
That would work with concord grapes since they are not usually on a grafted root stock.   

Is the method of choice for stubborn to root plants.   

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}