Author Topic: SPRING 2011  (Read 45309 times)

Vicki

Re: SPRING 2011
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
...arches of hardwoods - sounds like a wonderful experience. Our late afternoon walk was a bit on the chilly side with a westerly wind, but, the breeze was welcome as we spent a good deal of time petting and admiring horses blessedly downwind from us. It was a peaceful close to Sabbath.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2011, 05:58:58 AM »
Just when I thought spring was here. Apparently winter doesn't give up so easily.... this is what I woke up to this morning...

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2011, 06:06:46 AM »
Yes, wasn't that a pleasant surprise.  >:(  We are nearing three inches. Hard to think that just one week ago it was 80 degrees at my house.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2011, 06:08:41 AM »
It is such a blessing that you could refer to that as a "pleasant surprise."  :)
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2011, 06:49:56 AM »
We were suppose to have some of that wet stuff falling on us but all we got were gray clouds.  :( I'll need to water the garden before we can start pulling weeds this week. We're taking a spring break from school to get the garden looking decent. We're letting the chickens loose, too, to help in weed and bug control. The dog keeps trying to get them to play with him.  :D 

I have discovered I am more of a chicken person than a dog person - I love talking to those critters and petting their scrawny necks. The rooster won't have anything to do with me though. Eyes me and keeps silent whereas the hens and I chat away. Husband was in their pen awhile back fixing the door. The rooster crowed so he imitated him...oops...the challenge was on!  :D The rooster charged him, hitting him from behind. A tussle persued - no injuries to either party. But the rooster will not let him in the pen without a fight! I'm wondering how long we will have a rooster. Come home late at night, the car headlights wake him up & he starts crowing. Turn on the kitchen light at 3am and the rooster starts crowing. Neighbors haven't said anything - yet. Anyway, back to spring...it would be nice to have a hen wanting to hatch eggs before the rooster disappears. I don't know what we'd do with chicks - probably have to sell them, but it would be a wonderful spring adventure to have chicks hatching.  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2011, 08:35:41 AM »
We are experiencing April showers which come down softly as does the Latter Rain. It cleanses the air and waters the grass, flowers, and trees. The birds are singing (the mockingbirds all night). Spring is quite the object lesson of salvation in Christ Jesus! New life springing forth every where we look!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
The material world is under God's control. The laws of nature are obeyed by nature. Everything speaks and acts the will of the Creator. Cloud and sunshine, dew and rain, wind and storm, all are under the supervision of God, and yield implicit obedience to His command. It is in obedience to the law of God that the spire of grain bursts through the ground, "first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." Mark 4:28. These the Lord develops in their proper season because they do not resist His working. And can it be that man, made in the image of God, endowed with reason and speech, shall alone be unappreciative of His gifts and disobedient to His will? Shall rational beings alone cause confusion in our world? {COL 81.2}

To think we would not have rain, sunshine, flowers, grass, trees, bushes without their response, "implicit obedience," to God's command is something to be grateful for. I am very grateful for their obedience. 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
April downpour yesterday; a cold windy rain, to the tune of 1.7".  Snow flurries this morning.  If not for Gen. 8:22, it could get discouraging.  While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
This year's firsts at our house:

O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
I'm not usually "into" pink but that is an incredible shade of pink! I love it.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
Anyone else experiencing severe storms? Seems that lately, night after night, we have tornado watches, with thunder rumbling, wind howling, some hail and LOTS of rain! There is always flood warnings, and the rivers are out, all over surrounding fields. Thankfully, we live on a hill, and the creek running across the end of the property, and under the bridge we cross has not been over the bridge, but many others are not so fortunate.

Yesterday, we came home after church, ate, and I was thinking I would go visit my sick sister-in-law. But, the black clouds started piling up in the west, and I decided that was not a good idea. Almost at once, my phone started ringing; friends from church were calling, saying a tornado had touched down in some places in and near Paducah, and was headed toward us. I hastily gathered some things, such as flashlight, phone, and a couple of pillows, and headed for the basement hallway. I was trying to convince Elizabeth to come down, but she "hovered" on the stairs, with her "smart" phone, getting information on the weather. Thankfully, it was over in minutes, and did not touch down, but the winds were really strong. Our neighbor took some pictures of the cloud formation, and he thought a tornado could drop out of it at any time. One of the church member's father-in-law had uprooted trees in his yard in Paducah. (they live about 50 miles from us) and that was the storm that moved through here. The weather here is still very unstable, and promises to be all week. Don't think I have ever seen an April like this one.
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2011, 07:25:06 AM »
We are so grateful for your safety, Dora, and no, we have not seen such a violent Spring. There is a swath of the US that continues to be repeatedly affected by the strong storms. St. Louis got it Friday evening and no deaths - what a blessing! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2011, 07:31:30 AM »
Jesus is coming soon!

The airport at St. Louis was hit hard as were homes in the city.  More rain and unstable weather in your area for the next couple of days, Dora. Was thinking of you this morning as I read the reports. God hears our prayers.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
Whenever I get to complaining about the long winters and the cool springs here, it is helpful to remember that we are far outside "tornado alley."  Maine averages 1 or 2 tornadoes a year, and they are usually F1.  Last year I think we had 5 or 6.  So, while I would love to spend part of the winter in the southern States, and I know that spring is beautiful there, I guess I should be thankful for what we have here.  We rarely have weather that could be classified as lethal.  It's a lot easier to shovel a driveway than to rebuild a house.

And, just for the record, we had snow showers yesterday.  ::)

Dora, I'm glad you have a basement in which to take shelter.  When my dad lived in Kentucky he lived in a mobile home.  It made me nervous.  But the worst they ever saw was baseball-sized hail that broke a window in their vehicle.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Dora

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
Awww, Sybil, Bro. Richard and Wally, thank you for your prayers, and kind thoughts. We truly have been very blessed. A tornado was sighted today about 40 miles SE of us. We had a storm with wind, lightning and rain, and more rain, but it did not last long. We have a tornado watch until 12:00 tonight. Was just now talking with some of the church members in Paducah, 50 miles away, and the flood gates have been put up on the river front. This is a rare thing to have to happen. One of the members wrote on Facebook, saying, "Wonder why so many tornados are getting so close to Dorothy?" I told him "Maybe satan sees me on my knees every morning asking God for mercy and protection for us all through this day...and maybe he is trying to break through that wall of angels I ask God to surround us with..especially for Elizabeth's car as she drives the 50 miles to and from school every day." I told him, "I believe we can find the answers in The Great Controversy, and End Time Events.

Please keep remembering us in prayer...so good to know we are being prayed for from CA, through NM, all the way to Maine. (It is Maine, isn't it, Wally?)

xox
Dora
Dora

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:41 AM »

Please keep remembering us in prayer...so good to know we are being prayed for from CA, through NM, all the way to Maine. (It is Maine, isn't it, Wally?)

xox
Dora

Yes, and so far this "spring" (still waiting for real spring), still a tornado-free zone.  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2011, 05:28:57 AM »
And for that we thank Lord Jesus! We are free of them as well. We are busy outside planting, cleaning, organizing. Husband's daughter is here for the summer so we are organizing her house across the creek and admiring the blossoms on her fruit trees! 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2011, 05:48:51 AM »
We can't figure out where all this water is coming from here in the south. It's been one storm system after another all month. There's a tornado siren just up the street and it has gone off more times than I can count in the last 3 weeks. But the Lord has protected us as these storms have swept through. My daughter texted me yesterday that they were having roads closed because of flooding in NW AR. I can only think that God is pouring out a few judgments for the wickedness He sees in America. But I'd love to give Texas some of this rain. They could use it.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2011, 06:13:55 AM »
The news reported a state of emergency in Arkansas. The weather activity has certainly ramped up. All of you in the path of these storms are in our prayers.

Dora

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:23 AM »
Just checking in! We were without power from 1:00 AM Tuesday morning until 11:00 Wednesday night. KY Utilities had 6,000+ customers without power. It is thought that a tornado  hit at Fredonia, knocking over 19 poles, and wires were everywhere. Not sure what other damage was done, but we were sure thankful last night when power came on.

But, Paducah is flooded in places. One of our church members and family cannot get out, except by boat. The flood wall has been put in place, too. Smithland is a low lying town, not far from Paducah, and much of it is being evacuated. Many homes are now under water. Makes me ashamed that I thought it was bad that we had no electricity, but water is what we do not have without electricity, and my husband thinks we do not need a generator. Most of the neighbors bought them during the ice storm of '09. We may have lost some food in the freezer, too...but those things are nothing to the lives lost, the suffering and grief in the South, and the flooding not that far from us. We are blessed, I praise His name!
Dora