Author Topic: More than one Desktop  (Read 3277 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
More than one Desktop
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »
Have you ever wished that you had more than one Windows desktop? Well now you can. This is my new favorite free piece of software. It's called VirtuaWin. It gives you the ability to have up to 9 different desktops although I find the default 4 to be plenty. The directions are not very clear so here is some short instructions on using it. If you install with the defaults you will end up with 4 different desktops to use. They will be stacked like this....

Desktop-1    Desktop-2
Desktop-3    Desktop-4

Desktop-1 is the desktop that Windows boots up into. Now starting from Desktop-1 if you wish to go to Desktop-3 all you have to do is...

ctrl-alt-down_arrow 

That will take you to Desktop-3.  Now if you wish to go to Desktop-4 all you have to do is....

ctrl-alt-right-arrow

You can download it from here.... http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: More than one Desktop
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
Help me understand why you want more than one.  I know it is helpful to you and others, but I can't imagine in my little brain why I want more than one desktop. I already am having trouble keeping two of them clean!  :)

I have found myself leaving windows open when I close down my computer. Is this the alternative solution? If so, I hardly ever leave the same two windows open. :)

Give us some examples of the advantages of multiple desktops, Jim.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:39 AM »
It's mainly for those who don't have multiple monitors on a single pc and/or don't have a video card that is capable of doing multiple monitors. It's just a way of organizing and if you work on multiple things at once that are not related to each other it's a way to keep them separate without having to always close down applications and/or windows.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
Right. I have always wanted two computers linked to a single web connection. One would be just for e-mail and web. The other would be for everything else with the option of changing my mind later on.  ;D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »
How does this differ from having multiple windows open all the time.  I usually have my email always open, a photo editing program open, a ftp client in another window, three online windows open, the egw disk is always open, and who knows what else. I generally have more than a full task bar full of open windows and some have multiple tabs open.

So, what am I missing? what will I gain by having two or three desktops.  I have tried to clean them off by placing my often used programs on the taskbar.  So, in reality my computer desktop is fairly clean. A lot cleaner than my real desk!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
There is not much difference to be honest.

And you probably will not see a need unless you have a tendency to have a lot of windows open at the same most of the time. I'm not much into graphics programs and such but I can see a situation where someone has Photoshop open with multiple pictures open and then wanting to have a clean desktop where you do your internet browsing. And with just a quick key stroke you can switch between them without having to alt-tab to switch between what you want.

Another possible way that this might be useful is if you have more than one family member using the same account family member could come along switch to their own desktop without messing with what the previous person was doing.

Now what is even better is having multiple monitors and that is actually easy to do.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Now... if you're one of those people who have a tendency to have a ton of icons on you desktop there is a wonderful program out there called Fences that is free for personal use. That will put "fences" around your icons. It's a way to group different icons together. You can also hide icons that will only show up with a special key stroke or mouse click.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  The extra monitor is nice, but the novelty soon wore off. One was better than the other and it has been so long that I have had them both on that I forgot why I quit using them both.  I think it had to do with dragging from one to the other.

I like the idea of the multiple desktops if there are multiple users. That would make sense. Thanks again for sharing your computer expertise. It is always a blessing. The computer is the tool or our trade!  Like a car, we hate them, but where would we be without them!  Actually besides losing my hard drive that was striped for RAID, I have not had a lot of problems for some time now.   :) :)  Maybe I ought not have said that?  God is in control of it all!!!!  Martin Luther knew that and so do I!!