Author Topic: Check This out for Obedience in Nature  (Read 2174 times)

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Check This out for Obedience in Nature
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
http://present-truth.org/3-Nature/Obedience.htm

ENJOY!!!

That we learn to obey this way and this well.

Obedience
IN THE Cumberland Mountains, near Gruetli, Tennessee, two friends and I once saw an instance of supreme obedience. A native of the woods directed us by means of blazed trees to a certain spot where we were to look ahead of us on the ground intently. At the first sign of motion we were to concentrate our gaze on the spot where the motion began. Without this pre-warning we might not have seen the sudden swift shadow that flitted off a rod under the bushes before it became vocal and visible.

A big birdóbrown, gray, and white speckled like dead leavesófell down upon the ground with broken wings, crying in great pain. We scarcely turned our heads to look at this mother whippoorwill but scanned the spot from which she started. As our eyes became accustomed to the sunshine flecked twilight, we found her nest, just a hollow in a heap of dead leaves, and in it two baby whippoorwills, not so long as my forefinger and covered with a yellowish down hard to distinguish from the leaves among which they lay. Their large eyes were closed, and they lay as inert as lifeless things.

The mother was in terrible distress. In a circle she dragged herself along the ground, flying up a foot or two and falling back, and striving by every gesture possible to entice us to follow; but we looked very little at her. We watched to see how long the babies would lie motionless. In an amazing manner the mother was able to intersperse her loud and constant outcries with very soft, tender-toned chirps and short calls that were intended for the babies' reassurance.

As we did not move away from the nest, she circled clear around us, finally flying up to a tree branch not much higher than our heads about a rod beyond the nest. There she sat facing us and the nest, continuing her piteous cries and tender baby talk. Her eyes were amazingly large and lustrous, and her feathers fluffed out softly, giving her almost a circular effect.

Meantime the babies were absolutely obedient. Seized by the impulse to touch a live wild thing, I bent down and put my finger on the head of one of the fluffballs. It evidently could see me through its translucent eyelids or perceive me by some other acute sense; for as my hand neared it, a heavy shudder passed once over it. Then it endured my touch without moving, and the other did not move at all.

But my motion had terrified the mother into such an excess of grieving cries that we took pity on her and moved away. She continued her protests until we were clear back on the roadway, from which we could not see her. We suppose she darted down to the nest and praised her precious ones for their perfect obedience and self-control under the attack of giants as terrifying as monsters from Mars. 

With Christian Love,
Marie

Vicki

Re: Check This our for Obedience in Nature
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »
It's a good story. :)
With Christian Love,
Marie

Larry Lyons

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
That story brought up one of my earliest sad memories. I must have been 4 or 5 years old. We lived in the country and there was a tree in the back yard with a hollow place in it with a nest of red headed woodpeckers. One day I watched in fear as a large bull snake started up the tree. I yelled for my mom who was just as horrified as I was when she saw what was happening. There was an ax laying near by. My mom told me to get the ax and kill the snake. ("Sure Mom, no problem"  ::)) Or I might have said "sorry, not part of a 5 year old's job description, you do it!" I don't know what I said, but we watched in horror as the snake made its way to the hole in the tree. We knew there were babies in the nest and both parents were going crazy flying around the tree. Finally the snake entered the nest. A few seconds later both parents entered the hole. After some time, the snake came out and made its way down the tree. We could see 2 large bumps and 3 small ones in the snake. Such a lesson in nature I could have done without at that age.
Mothers and fathers will do anything to try protect their babies.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
It is good to be offended. Soon there will be no more such a thing as death. The lamb will not be eaten by the lion. And evil men will not kill one another, they will all be gone. Heaven will know of no such hatred. God is a God of love and peace!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.