Author Topic: Cookie Wars introduce the Evercookie  (Read 2785 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Cookie Wars introduce the Evercookie
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
Most people who browse or surf the internet are familiar with the term cookie. It's a txt file that your web browser uses to make your life easier when visiting the webpages you visit most often. While these cookies will not harm your computer or it's software they do contain data that could be personal and they also could contain data that companies use to track your surfing habits. Most people believe it's an invasion of privacy so over the years it has become easier to delete cookies. These options are often located in the browser itself.

However, now the convicted creator of the Samy Worm has shown the world how to create an Evercookie. This is a cookie that is extremely hard to delete because it copies the cookie to several different places. So when it get's deleted in one spot it can regenerate itself. It might be a bit technical but I would suggest that you read the following the 3 articles. The old saying that an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure is definitely true in this case and the easiest way to prevent yourself from getting an evercookie is to...

1) use Firefox's "private browsing" mode
2) install the Firefox addon called "noscript"
3) turn off scripting in IE
     # Click the Tools menu, then Internet Options.
     # On the Security tab, click Internet.
     # Click Custom Level and scroll to Active scripting (near the bottom of the scrolling window).
     # Click Disable to completely shut down JavaScript, or click Prompt to make IE ask before running any scripts.
     # Click OK, Yes, OK.

However, keep in mind that using options 2 and/or 3 will "break" most websites you visit. Certain things will not work they way you are use to or the website will display differently. The nice thing about option #2 is that you can control this and let things through that you trust.

The next front in the cookie wars: Fighting the Evercookie

Killing the Evercookie

It is Possible to Kill the Evercookie

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Cookie Wars introduce the Evercookie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
Below are links to 2 pieces of free software that will aid you in your fight against the evercookie and even the average cookie. However, please keep in mind and look VERY CAREFULLY at the options of things that will be deleted with these pieces of software. In some instances they will delete things that you're use to. I once recommended this to a friend of mine that was having issues and he was not happy with me afterward because when it deleted the indicated files it deleted the cookies which contained the passwords to the websites his wife visits and she couldn't remember all the usernames and passwords.

So please be careful when using these powerful utilities....

Bleachbit

CCleaner

One word of warning when using Bleachbit.... if you select the "places" options in the list of Firefox options it WILL DELETE your Firefox bookmarks so do not select "places" in the Firefox options.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Cookie Wars introduce the Evercookie
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
I love CCleaner. Thanks, Jim.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89