Author Topic: $200 Gone  (Read 2718 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
$200 Gone
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
Even wonder what problems can be caused by a virus? How about depletion of one's checking account!

Generally when I have a problem with an infection I can't remove, I just toss the hard-drive. But, not so easy with a laptop.  I have never broken the case on one. And, I don't see it happening.  I am very comfortable building desktops, but laptops are beyond my comfort level. So, when our laptop was infected, what does one do? Important files were involved. We could give them up, but even then how much will it cost to have a the hard-drive replaced and what if the infection went beyond the drive into the computer itself? So, we bite the bullet and take it into the shop. $200. :(

How does this infection happen? They say that when on a safe site, that ads on these sites have popups that when activated, that's it. you are infected if you do not control alt delete to reach your task mgr and delete the app. When the pop up appears, you get a warning that you are infected and a scan begins to reveal more and more infections. If you shut it down, you have the disease. You must use task mgr to delete the app. This was the explanation given when paying out the $200.

When asking about a software program to clean the computer, I was told that it mainly had to be done by hand and that there was software available to help. I was told it was in the millions of dollars. Not sure that I buy into this. But, I thought I would pass this on for discussion and a warning.

When you see a warning that you are infected with hundreds of bugs, do not close the window. The scan is phony and if you close it or participate in the instructions, you are in trouble.  I would not follow the instructions given, but I would close it down and that is just as bad. Control/alt/delete will take you to the task mgr. Then close the app that is running.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: $200 Gone
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:07:34 AM »
I am so sorry!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:52:31 AM »
When that happened to me a few months ago, I was able to use system restore to get rid of it by restoring to a previous day. It was a nasty bug.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:27 AM »
How does this infection happen? They say that when on a safe site, that ads on these sites have popups that when activated, that's it. you are infected if you do not control alt delete to reach your task mgr and delete the app. When the pop up appears, you get a warning that you are infected and a scan begins to reveal more and more infections. If you shut it down, you have the disease. You must use task mgr to delete the app.

What you say is very true. If window pops up warning you of viruses and it doesn't look like your anti-virus program be extremely careful and follow the instructions that brother Richard has given.

Those viruses (malware) are particularly hard to get rid of and yes a lot of times it has to be done manually. However, when I'm helping someone with such a thing I usually have them download this program.... http://www.malwarebytes.org/  Download the free version. It use to be the only difference between the free and paid version is the ability to schedule a scan. This program has proven very valuable when removing these types of infections.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}