Author Topic: Fishing for fish  (Read 2967 times)

colporteur

Fishing for fish
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
How would you tend to handle it if your men's personal ministry leader has planned for men's ministry, an ice fishing contest for the men, women, and children ?
The rationalization for this carnivorous fisherman is that a couple of non members that brush shoulders with the church like to fish.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Fishing for fish
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
That could be a real issue in this part of the country since ice fishing is a big tradition around here, and some SDA's are involved with it.  But if it came up a part of men's ministries I would voice my objections and try to suggest a better alternative. 

It would be one thing for an individual member to go with someone they are trying to witness to, to keep them company and hopefully turn their thoughts toward spiritual things.  But to actually take part in the fishing, I don't know.  I suppose one could catch and release.

But I don't think it would be sending the right message for the church to organize an event for that specific purpose. 
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Too bad their ministry isn't taking DA's & GC's to the non SDA fishermen & women to read while they wait.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Vicki

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
Now that's a good idea. Sometimes you can't stop an event that shouldn't be happening, but might be able to plant a seed or two if you attend. It's all a matter of prayer, of course. Sometimes the best thing to do is stay away.