Author Topic: Turns out that music really is intoxicating, after all  (Read 10929 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Turns out that music really is intoxicating, after all
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
It's interesting to see articles like this that confirm that the power in music is not "just" the words but the music itself. This article is much longer than the paragraph that I'm quoting but the quote is the conclusion of the researchers. I'll think you'll find it interesting.

Turns out that music really is intoxicating, after all

If music-induced emotional states can lead to dopamine release, as our findings indicate, it may begin to explain why musical experiences are so valued. These results further speak to why music can be effectively used in rituals, marketing or film to manipulate hedonic states. Our findings provide neurochemical evidence that intense emotional responses to music involve ancient reward circuitry and serve as a starting point for more detailed investigations of the biological substrates that underlie abstract forms of pleasure.

Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Turns out that music really is intoxicating, after all
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:41 PM »
"Intoxicating", yes. But, that is not all. Rock musicians that love the dark, know more about this than many in the church. They use music to lead many away from God. It is not just the words, but the music itself as is being supported by this new research. Music can lead one to forget about God and to consider the "pleasures" of this world.  Something to pray about if one is not knowledgeable in this area.

"If music-induced emotional states can lead to dopamine release, as our findings indicate, it may begin to explain why musical experiences are so valued. These results further speak to why music can be effectively used in rituals, marketing or film to manipulate hedonic states. Our findings provide neurochemical evidence that intense emotional responses to music involve ancient reward circuitry and serve as a starting point for more detailed investigations of the biological substrates that underlie abstract forms of pleasure."

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:24:37 AM »
Certain music invites demonic activity. It is a ticket that gives the enemy certain rights of passage. God may in some cases and to a certain extent over ride that right of passage given the ignorance of the person but when we as SDAs have so much light I tend to think we are mostly on our own when we toy with worldly music with manipulative beats and  hypnotic rhythms.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:36:08 AM »
When we place ourselves in the thick of temptation, the protective angels leave. We are on our own.

... it is dangerous for those who wish to honor God to find their pleasure and entertainment with companions who fear Him not. Satan ever surrounds such with great darkness; and if those who profess Christ go unbidden into this darkness, they tempt the devil to tempt them. If, in order to do good and glorify His name, the Lord requires us to go among infernal spirits, where is the blackest darkness, He will encircle us with His angels and keep us unsullied. But if we seek the company of sinners, and are pleased with their coarse jests, and entertained and amused with their stories, sports, and ribaldry, the pure and holy angels remove their protection and leave us to the darkness we have chosen.  {2T 222.2} 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39:39 AM »
Some who had, like Elder Stone, had but little moral power, but little strength to resist temptation, would for a time feel the force of warnings and see his condition; but his traits of character were such that unless transformed, he would be no help to God's people, no benefit to the young. His influence would be to break down the barriers, to unite with pleasure lovers, and become tainted and polluted by lax morals.  {14MR 2.1} 

He might become a man of excellent ability if he had a vital connection with God. He had superior talents which had not been employed to the advancement of the work and cause of God, because he loved ease and self-indulgence better than he loved self-denial and the cross of Christ.  {14MR 2.2}

I was shown that the time was in the near future that these whom God had warned and reproved and given great light but they would not correct their ways and follow the light, He would remove from them that heavenly protection which had preserved them from Satan's cruel power; the Lord would surely leave them to themselves to follow the judgment and counsels of their own wisdom; they would be simply left to themselves, and the protection of God be withdrawn from them, and they would not be shielded from the workings of Satan; that none of finite judgment and foresight can have any power to conceive of the care God has exercised through His angels over the children of men in their travels, in their own houses, in their eating and drinking. Wherever they are, His eye is upon them. They are preserved from a thousand dangers, all to them unseen. Satan has laid snares, but the Lord is constantly at work to save His people from them.  {14MR 2.3} 

But [from] those who have no sense of the goodness and mercy of God, [those] who refuse His merciful warnings, who reject His counsels to reach the highest standard of Bible requirements, who do despite to the Spirit of grace, the Lord would remove His protecting power. I was shown that Satan would entangle and then destroy, if he could, the souls he had tempted. God will bear long, but there is a bound to His mercy, a line which marks His mercy and His justice.  {14MR 2.4} 

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. [SEE ALSO THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, P. 614, WHERE ELLEN WHITE STATES, "A SINGLE ANGEL DESTROYED ALL THE FIRST-BORN OF THE EGYPTIANS AND FILLED THE LAND WITH MOURNING. WHEN DAVID OFFENDED AGAINST GOD BY NUMBERING THE PEOPLE, ONE ANGEL CAUSED THAT TERRIBLE DESTRUCTION BY WHICH HIS SIN WAS PUNISHED. THE SAME DESTRUCTIVE POWER EXERCISED BY HOLY ANGELS WHEN GOD COMMANDS, WILL BE EXERCISED BY EVIL ANGELS WHEN HE PERMITS."] It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.  {14MR 3.1}
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
music on one side of the room and the hearer on the other,   music that attracts the hearer or for whatever reason they listen,  and over time the hearer internally changes to like the music more and more and the opposing music less and less.    A captivation of the mind and even possible brain / nervous system changes too.

classical hymns and secular classical music helps plants grow and farm animals destress and relax,  is it too much a leap of understanding that music can positivly and negativly affect us as humans like that too, as well as open gateways from above and beneath, and establish loyalties with the sources of the inspiration for the music.

The children of this world in order to create a desired effect, put a sound track and musical score to almost all video broadcasting whether live or recorded and rebroadcast.     To see what I mean about creating a desired effect, mute a TV program from start to the half,  then un mute it.   What effect do you get in contrast with sound verses silent ?     There's multiple reasons.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

colporteur

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
I shared this before but will again. I was in the dentist's chair a few years back. They played christian rock and one song had the singer (if you could call it singing) sounding like someone with their finger squeezed up tight in a vice or else someone being flogged. I made the comment with eyebrows raised and a half smile, "it sounds like she is in pain, I'm not sure that is the best music for someone to hear while sitting in the dentist's chair." I asked it it would be ok to have the music off. They complied. I hope I do not offend anyone but opera is like that in my mind and sounds to me like nails across the black board for some or grit under a metal water basin, for me.   :o yikes !

In the  doctor's and dentists offices tend to play soft soothing music as opposed to rapp and heavy metal. There is an obvious reason for that.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
I've felt the same way about that kind of music for years, but you've expressed it better.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
Has anyone watched Ivor Myer's message "Sonic Warfare"?  It is incredible! It can be watched on utube. He stated that this would be his last message on music and that those who  could not/would not... see it after this would not see it at all. He made some interesting parallels and associations. For instance, Satan has distorted music by bringing in the 2/4 rhythm. That is his signature. Likewise he has distorted the weekly rhythm of the people by introducing the false Sabbath. Satan has especially messed with the rhythm of the ten commandments and which ones? 2/4. Every SDA ought to see this message.

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
Another interesting use of words that Elder Myers talked about is how the devil has a trap set for our youth. It's called the "trap set."

ejclark

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:43:34 AM »
Yes, the "trap" has been "set" and many have become captured in it.

I've seen this video.  I think it's interesting how he overlaps video and music from voodoo sessions and "religious" gatherings and shows how the two are the same.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:38:25 PM »
Most people do not understand drums and drumming. Pastor Karl Tsatalbasidis was a trained professional drummer. He explains that the trap set was designed for the purpose of playing blues and jazz. He maintains that it is impossible to use a trap set for other kinds of music without the essence and meaning of the music being altered. (contaminated)  He says that is true even for symphony orchestra. Pastor Tsatalbasidis flatly denies that there is any place for a trap set in religious music.

He also explains that there is a difference between a percussionist and a drummer, and the training is different. Percussionists play a variety of instruments that provide different kinds of percussive rythem. Symphony orchestras may use a variety of purcussion instruments. I don't see a problem with percussion as such depending on how and when it is used.