Author Topic: The Google Computer in the Sky  (Read 20864 times)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Re: The Google Computer in the Sky
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 05:11:16 AM »
...there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. 3 Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops. Luke 12:2, 3

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. 10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us. Ecclesiastes 1:9, 10
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
I'll jump in here. The first thing is to determine if you are posting in a public or private board marked "SDA." Google and other information-gathering bots pick up most everything said in public boards, so try to remember where you are - public or private. And of course, they will pick this up and one day someone will read it, so to them I send greetings in the name of Christ Jesus and urge them to do two things:

Begin reading your Bible and get hold of a copy of The Great Controversy. If you cannot find one, contact us at The Remnant Online and we will send you one. Time is short. There is a God in heaven who loves you and would not have you ignorant of what is to come upon the earth.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
 :)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »
...posting in a public or private board marked "SDA."

Er, uh; which is this?
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Vicki

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »
The Computer Forum is public. If it were private, the below line (copied from the top of the page) would have "SDA" in it.

The Remnant Online » Links and Resources » Computer Forum (Moderator: JimB) » The Google Computer in the Sky

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »
Google apparently does want to be the "computer in the sky"... literally!!

The project, created by the same Google X team who made self-driving cars and Google Glass, aims to bring internet to the two-thirds of the global population currently without web access.

A pilot launch this morning in Christchurch, New Zealand, was the first public balloon release and is the beginning of Google's plans to build a ring of balloons that would fly around the globe at twice the altitude of aeroplanes and send 3G-speed internet to the earth below.
Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
That is quite ambitious. Wow! Maybe those balloons can be used of God to spread the last warnings to the world!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
Amen! The devil is at work, but God will turn it to good! He always does!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
Years ago people were upset that google's cars were driving around scarfing up wi-fi passwords as they drove through neighborhoods and business districts. Well google no longer has to go looking for wi-fi passwords as people have probably unknowingly given Google permission to back your settings. If you have then google knows all the passwords to every wi-fi router that you've ever connected to.

If an Android device (phone or tablet) has ever logged on to a particular Wi-Fi network, then Google probably knows the Wi-Fi password. Considering how many Android devices there are, it is likely that Google can access most Wi-Fi passwords worldwide.....

Many (probably most) of these Android phones and tablets are phoning home to Google, backing up Wi-Fi passwords along with other assorted settings. And, although they have never said so directly, it is obvious that Google can read the passwords.
Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

wigina

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »
Then it will be risky carrying you phone-Bible into the mountains you'll give us all away find a hard choppy of the Bible and then memorize text a much as possible it will be or solace. The end is near so near it's palpable! When all are on line and you remnant status is marked, will you sell? Will you buy?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
If there was little concern about Google not caring about our privacy, this ought to change things. Thanks, Jim.  I have given up youtube, google earth, gmail, and all other Google programs except for Maps. I did not know that this corrupt  corporation is backing up my passwords without my permission. To default this setting is unethical to say the least.   Everybody likes the freebies that Google offers, but it comes at a very high price. I am unwilling to pay the price. Here is something all ought to understand. It is just horrible! From the article Jim cited:

... my corporate office has a public, protected wireless access point. The idea that every Android device that connects with that access point shares our private corporate access key with Google is pretty unacceptable ... This isn't just a trivial concern. The fact that my company can easily lose control of their own proprietary WPA2 encryption keys just by allowing a user with an Android device to use our wireless network is significant. It illustrates a basic lack of understanding on the ethics of dealing with sensitive corporate and personal data on the behalf of the engineers, programmers and leadership at Google. Honestly, if there is any data that shouldn't be harvested, stored and synched automatically between devices, it is encryption keys, passcodes and passwords.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

ltvvaughn

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
All this talk of Google, Android, Windows, etc. that is snooping in my privacy makes me want to switch to Linux OS.  Even then I know I'm not totally safe, but maybe it might be a little more private.  Not knowing what is in all that computer coding makes it hard to know what to do.  Maybe we need to go back to snail mail, the Bible and the red books.  We'll have to do it one day anyway.  Why not start now?

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
It is true that if you switch to linux you'll get a more stable OS that has security that is probably not been compromised by the collusion of corporate giants and government entities. However, it is mainly our web browsing habits and cell phones and online accounts that give up the most information about us. And of course using the "free" services offered by corporations.

ltvvaughn

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »
The only thing that is truly free that I can think of is salvation through Jesus!

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
Amen!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
Google and your phone.   Android has "maps" which is a super app that tells you where you are and how to get where you are going. There appears to be a hardwired "maps prefetcher" built in so that you cannot turn off your location and wifi connection.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 05:27:02 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by map pre-fetcher but on my android phone I can turn off google location services, wifi, and gps all separately. Just two days ago on friday I got caught in a traffic jam that was at a standstill. So I wanted to know how far this slow down was going to be so I started the google's map app but it wouldn't do anything until I turned on the google location services.

Speaking of google as being the computer in the sky some might find this article interesting...

Imagine a fleet of drones, overhead, out of sight, tens of thousands of feet in the sky. Imagine those drones being powered by sunlight — effectively aerial satellites that are orbiting constantly, never having to touch down for fuel. Now imagine thousands of them, perhaps tens of thousands of them, with cameras and radio repeaters on board.

Such a fleet could image everything, all the time, everywhere, at high-resolution. They could also provide low-cost communications — effectively cellphone towers 60,000 feet tall.
Source

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
Google plans to invest more than $1 billion in a new fleet of satellites that will expand Internet access to unconnected regions of the world. Source

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
... finally does something very good.

Giant photos are slowing the Web down. Google has a plan to make your pages load faster.

The search giant has developed a new kind of image format that promises to shrink the size of Web photos and graphic files down by about 35%. That's a big deal, considering that images are responsible for nearly two-thirds of the size of an average website -- a figure that grew by more than 30% last year, according to the HTTP Archive.

Those old, familiar image formats are the culprits. Next to Flash animations and videos, JPEGs are generally the largest files on Web pages. GIF and PNG files are pretty big too.

To boost load times for websites, Google (GOOGL, Tech30) developed a new image format, called WebP. At its I/O developers conference last month, Google announced that it has converted most of YouTube's thumbnail images to WebP, improving the site's load time by 10%. That may not sound like much, but Google says that alone has saved users a cumulative 140,000 hours each day.

But, it has a downside. Read on ...

CNN Money

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »
(Reuters) - A federal judge rejected Google Inc's bid to dismiss a privacy lawsuit claiming it commingled user data across different products and disclosed that data to advertisers without permission.

Saying his decision was a close call, U.S. District Judge Paul Grewal in San Jose, California, ruled on Monday night that Google must face breach of contract and fraud claims by users of Android-powered devices who had downloaded at least one Android application through Google Play.

Other parts of the lawsuit were dismissed, including claims brought on behalf of account users who switched to non-Android devices from Android devices after Google had changed its privacy policy in 2012 to allow the commingling.

-Reuters    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/22/us-google-privacy-lawsuit-idUSKBN0FR1XA20140722