Author Topic: Why the Change ?  (Read 8389 times)

colporteur

Why the Change ?
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »

I have heard it said that it matters not what intruments are involved in worship but how they are played.

It is interesting that when David was off track in bringing the Ark back the first time carelessly transporting it on a cart and evidence was given of God's disproval when Uzzah was struck dead I Chronicles 13:8 records the muscial instruments. 
" And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.

Notice the change in the list of instruments included in the second and successful attempt to bring back the Ark. I Chronicles 15:28 "Thus all Israel brought up the Ark of the covenant of the Lord with shouting, and with the sound of the coronet, and with trumpets, and with cymbals, making a noise with psalteries and harps."

I noticed when typing this that the order of instruments is largely reversed as well. On the first trip harps is listed first and then psalteries. On the second trip harps are listed last and before them psalteries. Trumpets are listed last on the first trip and second on the second trip.  I'm not certain why the change of order but there is a reason for everything. Verbalization (shouting) was not mentioned in the first list but it started off with "singing".

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
Re: Why the Change ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:06:54 AM »
Colporteur, you bring up a very interesting point, I to have thought about this and I can give you an answer other than God gave exact orders as to how to handle the Ark. Bringing it back was central point of praise, why the points you brought out about the instruments are accurate, I have no answer for you. God bless you in your ministry for Him. Friend John   

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:14:03 AM »
Colporteur, you bring up a very interesting point, I to have thought about this and I can give you an answer other than God gave exact orders as to how to handle the Ark. Bringing it back was central point of praise, why the points you brought out about the instruments are accurate, I have no answer for you. God bless you in your ministry for Him. Friend John    

Brother John;

What I have learned to be most interesting in the two accounts is that the timbrel, sometimes translated "tamborine" is a lighter version of, or cousin to, the drum. That instrument is not recorded therefore apparently did not exist in the second account. That may be significant.

wigina

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
Today the choir sang without accompaniment! Well the music was heavenly! How I wish we could stop overelying on accompaniments for our music. But do we have time to train our voices to sing in harmony such that the heavenly host can join in?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
I agree.  What I find particularly grating to my eardrums is the "canned" music that so many are using now for solos, rather than having someone play the piano.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of one time when I've really enjoyed such a performance.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »
I agree.  What I find particularly grating to my eardrums is the "canned" music that so many are using now for solos, rather than having someone play the piano.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of one time when I've really enjoyed such a performance.

It really has to be good canned whatever to match a live performance. Today they played at church a DVD by Dwight Nelson. At prayer time I asked for discernment among the congregation relative to the message.  Having said that about canned tuna, I will take a canned Steve Bohr over a live Dwight Nelson EVERY time.

ltvvaughn

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
CP,

Here is Strong's definition of the word translated "shouting" in 1 Chronicles 15:28.

From H7321; clamor, that is, acclamation of joy or a battle cry; especially clangor of trumpets, as an alarum: - alarm, blow (-ing) (of, the) (trumpets), joy, jubile, loud noise, rejoicing, shout (-ing), (high, joyful) sound (-ing).

I'll let you draw your own conclusions about what the author is trying to say here.  I don't believe, however, that shouting is the most accurate translation.  The context is that of a musical event.  Shouting is not usually regarded as something musical (unless of course you want to consider rock and roll as music).

LtV
LtV
If we can't be united in Truth . . . we dare not unite at all!