Author Topic: 27 Principles of Music  (Read 76602 times)

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
Re: 27 Principles of Music
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Principle #13: Music can be a powerful witnessing tool in the hands of dedicated Christian youth.

Music played a large role in the ministry of youth evangelism for many years. When Academy and college was out for the summer the youth in the conference were invited to join my wife and me for the next ten weeks to do youth evangelism. No one was asked to audition for the group, but the first week was spent rehearsing, then we went to out in the academy’s school bus to witness.
   Our youth teams always tried, in the music, to exemplify the gentle, kind, and meek spirit, of our Savior. We also tried to lead the youth to uphold the standards of, and respect for, our church through their music. In doing this work, we were following the inspired counsel  of Ellen White.

“Students (youth) go out into the highways and hedges. Endeavor to reach the higher as well as the lower classes. Enter the homes of the rich and the poor, and as you have opportunity ask would you be pleased to have us sing? We should be glad to hold a song service with you. Then as hearts are softened, the way may open for you to offer a few words of prayer for the blessing of God. Not many will refuse.” (Review & Herald August 27, 1903)

One youth witnessing experience that really stands out in our memory involved an alcoholic who also happened to be a millionaire. The pastor of the church asked us to witness to this lady, and when we arrived at her home, she welcomed us with a smile.
   One of the young men introduced the team and told her we had just come to sing a few songs for her. As the team began to sing some of the simple, familiar hymns, she began to weep and we knew the Holy Spirit was working on her heart. After about the third song, some of the youth testified of their experience with Christ, and this to made a deep impression on her.
   After a few more songs, she stood up and pointed to a picture on the wall. That is a picture of my father she told us. He was brought up a Catholic, and was known for his honesty. She went on to tell us how, at one point in his life he purchased a Bible and studied it for himself. In his study he became convinced that Saturday was the true day of worship. And he kept the Sabbath for the rest of his life.
   I know you young people keep the right day, she told us, and began to weep again.
May we pray with you? Asked one of the young ladies from our team. I would love that, she answered.
   This witness opened the way for further contact and study by the pastor. It also gave our youth team a stronger faith in the promises of the wonderful Spirit-lead writings of Ellen White.
   As one who has been involved in many of these types of experiences, I can say with conviction that it is not the beauty of form, or ceremonies, or dress, or even accomplishment, that God can use best, but the willing heart and simple voice that sings with understanding.
   We also tried to follow the inspired counsel when choosing the songs to sing. The following guiding principles I have found most helpful in this regard.   

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2010, 08:17:23 AM »
What a moving testimony, Elder Thurber. Amen and amen sums it up.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Amen!!  Music has a very real purpose in life. It is worship and ought to be used for evangelism. This testimony will encourage others to do the same.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
Are principles 14 - 27 in another location or are we still waiting for John to post them? I'm thrilled to stumble unto this forum. It's such a huge issue in the church today. I appreciate the principles I've read so far. Thank you John.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
Brother John is still posting them.  :)

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
That's great. I'll keep checking.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
You are welcome. Elder Thurber has been "under the weather" lately. He will post as he can. Let us keep him in prayer.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »
A series of the last posts have been moved to the Principles of Music "SDA" Forum.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
Thank you for moving those, my brother.

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
Principle # 14 God’s music can be very effective in helping us to encourage others, resist temptation, and memorize Scripture.

“It (music) is one of the most effective means of impressing the heart with spiritual truth. How often to the soul hard pressed and ready to despair, memory recalls some word of God’s, the long forgotten burden of a childhood song, the temptations lose their power, and life takes on new meaning and new purpose, and courage, and gladness are imparted to other souls! (Education page 168)
   “Song is a weapon that we can always use against discouragement. As we thus open the heart to sunlight of the Savior’s presents, we shall have health and His blessing.”
(Ministry of Healing page 254)
   “As the people journeyed through the wilderness, many precious lessons were fixed in their minds by means of song. At their deliverance from Pharaohs army the whole host of Israel had joined in the song triumph. Far over desert and sea rang the joyous refrain, and the mountains re-echoed the accents of praise, Sing ye to the Lord, for He hath triumphed gloriously” (Exodus 15:21) “Often on the journey was the song repeated, cheering the hearts and kindling the faith of the pilgrim travelers. The commandments as given from Sinai, with promises of God’s favor and records of His wonderful works for the deliverance, were by divine direction expressed in song, and were chanted to the sound of instrumental music, the people keeping step as their voices united in praise.” (Education page 39)
   “There must be a living connection with God in songs of praise and thanksgiving.” (Letter 96, 1898) 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2011, 06:08:29 AM »
Amen, Elder Thurber! Exodus 15:2  The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
I for one am very concerned about what are the principles of good music. There are areas that I am not sure about. I surely want to be tolerant of what others appreciate, but I do not want to submit myself to that which is wrong. And, more than that I don't want my family and church family to be subjected to wrong music.

When I walk into a Christian music store, there is very little that I can find that I would consider "good" music. There are some modern songs that appear to ok, but I don't know. I could not object based upon what I know of principles of music, but I question whether it is Christian music even though the words speak of Jesus.

One of the things that causes me great concern is that when you see very wrong music being enjoyed by a church and then there is music that does not appear to be wrong being enjoyed by the same church, I wonder why they like it and do not like the simple hymns written many years ago by godly men and women. There is no discernment by this church and they like this song that I do not see is wrong, but since they like it, it causes me to wonder.  Why do they like it when they don't like a simple rendition of Amazing grace?

Can someone help me here?  How can we know if this modern CCM song is not good music? If it is, how can we know?  I do not want to move from anything but principle when it comes to music. My personal tastes are not to be the judge, but only principle. Help.....

Larry Lyons

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Richard, I certainly don't have all the answers, but one principle that I believe is important is the biblical principle of keeping the holy and common separate. If music itself, aside from the words, is in the same style and sounds no different than music that is played every day for intertainment on radio and TV, it should not be used for religious purposes. It is "common, secular, worldly."

However, it is true that there are melodies that are simple and beautiful that are found in folk music, for instance, that may be appropriate to use with words intended for worship or praising God in other settings. The words to the song "Amazing Grace" has been set with very pleasing results, to the melody of the old folk song "The Water is Wide." I saw it done a few months ago by a group on TV. Sanctified discernment with a determination to set aside personal biases is crucial.

Tim2

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Some of the answers are in understanding how God communicates to fallen beings.  Music with lyric is communication on many levels.  Some music appeals to these lower passions and strengthen that which should be in subjection to the higher powers.   Those who argue a Hymn to be holy, overlook some basic statements by the SOP about this.  We can apply many of the same principles to music as we can to any statements on a variety of methods of communication to differing backgrounds, personalities and cultures.  Whether one approves or one does not has little to do with the reality of the depths that Gods grace is able reach.  Where sin abounds, grace much more.....Can we find some of these quotes about how God communicates?

Larry Lyons

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
Some of the answers are in understanding how God communicates to fallen beings.  Music with lyric is communication on many levels.  Some music appeals to these lower passions and strengthen that which should be in subjection to the higher powers.   Those who argue a Hymn to be holy, overlook some basic statements by the SOP about this.  
Tim, God can communicate with man however He chooses, but we must not presume that we are free to choose whatever we want to present to Him in worship or praise. Ask Cain, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, Jeroboam, and many others. True worshio is God centered, not man centered. As the famous preacher Spurgeon once asked about worship, "Are we feeding the sheep, or entertaining the goats?"  God is holy. Angels veil their faces when they speak His name.  If you believe that it doesn't matter what kind of music we use in our worship; if you believe it doesn't matter whether it is holy or common and worldly and if you actually believe that Ellen White supports your view, I guess we don't have anything to discuss. We are planets apart.

Tim2

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2011, 07:43:30 PM »
I didn't intend to narrow the focus to just worship music.  This topic is about music principles, right?  Certainly, there is appropriate music for church, but even that is being discussed and opinions vary.  That brings us to an interesting thought, though -- can we as corrupt channels bring anything to a Holy God that, in itself, is Holy in terms of music?  Isn't it true that even our worship must be moistened with the cleansing drops of Christ's blood to be approved of God?  Isn't it (within reason) more about heart worship than form? 

colporteur

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
God used an ass to communicate to a person but we do not place one up front on Sabbath for that reason, generally.

I think you have a good point Richard. The same is true about books. When someone that likes reading Harry Potter also likes reading a book that we can't quite put our finger on in terms of what's wrong with it we tend to wonder if the reader sees or senses something we do not.
With both music and books it may not always be that the lesser evil is blatantly evil but that is is just not good, deep, or meaningful.

Then there is music that sounds a bit erie though there are no drums or even a beat. When I watched a Derek Morris presentation "Radical Prayer" There were a number of things I could not put my finger on but I had a sense that something was not right. This was before I knew anything about the Spiritual Formation stuff. The message did not ring clear and did not carry that certain sound like the Advent message we know. It was not bad but it was of a generic nature. The music was soft and melodious yet it sounded peculiar and nothing like Christian music either hymn like or even contemporary.. I cannot really describe it other than it was attractive and if I were to compare it to something it would be like rainbow colored icecream. Perhaps pleasantly seductive would be a good description.
    I believe that in this day and age the books in our church that do not give a pointed present truth message, books that might be good books in a Methodist church, are bad books in our church, because the message steps backward.

There is music that tends to do the same thing. It may not be real rocky or even have beat  at all and still be of a seductive nature. Satan is so clever and manipulative he has music that we may only have a vague impression that it is not good  not able to explain just why. Then there are indicators such as you have mentioned. Why do people with loose standards and poor theology gravitate toward it and yet are not drawn to hymns and music with a solid message and a deep, methodical, no frills tone ? By their fruit ye shall know them. Satan knows something even these folks do not know as to why they are drawn to fringe music.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »
 Isn't it true that even our worship must be moistened with the cleansing drops of Christ's blood to be approved of God?  Isn't it (within reason) more about heart worship than form?  

Within who's reason?  The heart is desparately wicked who can know it?  One problem in a group setting is that someone misguided on music is not an Island. All within ear shod partake of the same. While it may be highly questionable if the music is edifying for the one performing or enjoying it, it is not for some. Then there are those, particularly green and new in the faith who may have a heart felt experience with God but may still be somewhat misguided with their music. This music may feed the carnal heart of the unconverted and embolden them in their rebellion and confusion while the new in the faith is protected for a time because of their ignorance.

A pianist does not have to hit every note perfectly and the piano does not have to be a Baby Grand perfectly tuned in order for the music to be holy. God makes up the difference just like He does with sincere prayer. However, God does not make up the difference when music is authored from down under and the people resist the Spirit of reform. He will let this music do its work especially upon the hearts of those seeking another spirit.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
Principle #15: Even simple songs, when sung to the glory of God, may touch the hearts of others and win them to Christ.

“Learn to sing the simplest of songs. These will help you in house to house labor, and hearts will be touched by the influence of the Holy Spirit.” (R&H 1903)
   “…The melody of Song, poured forth from many hearts in clear distinct utterance, is one of God’s instrumentality’s in the work of saving souls…” ( T.V.5 page 493)
   “Song is one of the most effective means of impressing spiritual truth upon the heart. Often by the words of sacred song, the springs of penitence and faith have been unsealed.” (R&H June 6, 1912)
   “The conversion of souls to God is the greatest work, the highest work, in which human beings can have part. In the conversion of souls God’s forbearance, His unbounded love, His holiness, His power, are revealed. Every true conversion glorifies Him, and causes the angels to break forth into singing…” ( Evangelism page 292)
   “… The soul redeemed and cleansed from sin, with all its noble powers dedicated to the service of God, is of surpassing worth; and there is joy in heaven in the presence of God and the holy angels over one soul redeemed, a joy that is expressed in songs of holy triumph.” (Steps to Christ page 126)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »
Amen, Friend John!

I noted a number of ideas that impressed me in your post:

"the simplest of songs",  "impressing spiritual truth upon the heart",  "redeemed and cleansed from sin", "joy that is expressed in songs of holy triumph"

The truth is what makes hymns so effective in our lives.  The melody is not to be contrary or overpowering the message. It is to help bring the message into the heart through the mind. The message is to be important.  Some rely upon feelings and emotions to sway the person, not the truth. This is wrong. Music can altar the mind to the degree that it can help in deceiving the person.

We know this to be true, but some give no importance to this truth. I think as we move forward examining these principles of music, we shall grow in our understanding and be better able to guide the church in its desire to improve its worship of God.