Author Topic: God's Controlled Burns  (Read 25461 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: God's Controlled Burns
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
... whatever the price. Amen. Whatever the price.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
Praise God!!!! I am so thankful! Whatever the reality was in the diagnosis, I consider this a miraculous intervention. To God be all the glory and praise! Sybil, you are greatly beloved both by God and by God's people.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
Whatever the reality was in the diagnosis, I consider this a miraculous intervention.

Me, too. I knew something was different last Sabbath when Rusty and I were preparing last-minute adjustments to music for church. With the original diagnosis, the thought of singing for church was completely out of the question yet the song we worked on was not good as an instrumental so I added voice and could breathe - full load to the lungs without spawning a cough. While singing it for church I knew Jesus' angels were there because I was lost to everything around me. That has never, ever happened.

God intervened just as you, Ed and others said. He simply intervened.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
As I have been having some rather severe pain from an old leg injury, I have not been on the computer as much. I thought tonight I would check out TRO, and was so excited I could hardly speak! I called to Elizabeth, "She doesn't have it, she doesn't have it!" And after explaining, I just had to call dear Sybil! Praise God! Praise God! I know He healed her, and by this "controlled burn" has brought her even closer to Him.
Dora

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 10:16:24 PM »
Can we say that a "controlled burn" is the same as being pruned?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 05:56:53 AM »
We surely can. It is the same.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
Reading the Testimonies today, I thought of "controlled burns," "pruning," when I came across this in 5T, page 682, 683:

When the Spirit of God, by message of reproof, declares this to be his condition, he cannot see that the message is true. Is he therefore to reject the warning? No. God has given sufficient evidence, so that all who desire to do so may satisfy themselves as to the character of the Testimonies; and, having acknowledged them to be from God, it is their duty to accept reproof, even though they do not themselves see the sinfulness of their course. If they fully realized their condition, what would be the need of reproof? Because they know it not, God mercifully sets it before them, so that they may repent and reform before it shall be too late. "Those who despise the warning will be left in blindness to become self-deceived; but those who heed it, and zealously go about the work of separating their sins from them in order to have the needed graces, will be opening the door of their hearts that the dear Saviour may come in and dwell with them." [VOL. 3, P. 257 (1873).] Those who are most closely connected with God are the ones who know His voice when He speaks to them. Those who are spiritual discern spiritual things. Such will feel grateful that the Lord has pointed out their errors." [VOL. 5, P. 134.]  {5T 682.1}

"David learned wisdom from God's dealings with him and bowed in humility beneath the chastisement of the Most High. The faithful portrayal of his true state by the prophet Nathan made David acquainted with his own sins and aided him to put them away. He accepted counsel meekly and humiliated himself before God. 'The law of the Lord,' he exclaims, 'is perfect, converting the soul.'" [VOL. 4, PP. 14, 15 (1876).]  {5T 683.1}

"If ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye . . . not sons." Our Lord has said: "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten." "No chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby." Though bitter the discipline, it is appointed by a Father's tender love, "that we might be partakers of His holiness."  {5T 683.2}

What a blessing.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »
Amen!! A very hard lesson to learn, but look at the blessing that comes. We surely need the blessing and the experience. God loves us and all things work together for good to those who love the Lord and keep His commandments!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Marelis

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »
Dear Sybil.  I have only just know coaught up with this news.  I am thrilled for you but I am also very encouraged because I guess I have not been hearing too many accounts of this kind of divine intervention.  It am so happy for you.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 07:59:58 AM »
Thank you, dearest. God is going to move on issues mightier than mine. We will be astounded as these last few days roll by.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
Amen!! And we thank God for controlling the fires of affliction. All things work together for our good! Yes, all things, as we rest in Christ.

colporteur

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:36 AM »
I believe that God allowing the WC and SF phenomina to come into the SDA church is a controlled burn. It allows those who love not the truth to believe a lie and tests those who love the truth to see if they will rise to meet the occasion.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Kelsy

• Member at Rest
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
Agree Colporteur..

Just getting caught up myself....so very pleased Sybil for your,"Intervention"....God is so good to reward each one of us with your timely posts and counsel....i love the idea of the "controlled burns"...

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Yes, divinely controlled burns. 

colporteur

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
Yes, divinely controlled burns. 

With man's controlled burns they sometimes get out of control. It is good to remember when things seem out of control that God's burns never cross the boundaries of His divine providence.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
I love the book, Bible Readings for the Home. Mine was published in 1963, the large one with the blue spine, and I often read it. On page 405 is "Comfort in Affliction." In it is a beautiful quote I wanted to share with you. It is under the heading of Sorrow's Possibilities:

Why is sorrow better than laughter?

Answer: "Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better." Ecclesiastes 7:3.

Note - Many of the loveliest songs of peace and trust and hope which God's children sing in this world have been taught in the hushed and darkened chambers of sorrow....Afflictions, sanctified, soften the asperities of life. They tame the wildness of nature. They temper human ambitions. They burn out the dross of selfishness and worldliness. They humble pride. They quell fierce passions. They reveal to men their own hearts, their own weaknesses, faults, blemishes, and perils. They teach patience and submission. They discipline unruly spirits. They deepen and enrich our experience. - J. R. Miller, Week-Day Religion, pp. 90, 91.   

Psalm 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
I believe that God allowing the WC and SF phenomena to come into the SDA church is a controlled burn. It allows those who love not the truth to believe a lie and tests those who love the truth to see if they will rise to meet the occasion.

Amen and we are in the thick of it. God is at the helm of this controlled burn. Who will be untouched by it? None. All will be affected, directly or indirectly.

Neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy the accursed from among you. Joshua 7:12.  {CC 120.1} 
     The sin of one man caused Israel to be beaten before the enemy. Something more than prayer was required. They were to get up and cleanse the camp of Israel.  {CC 120.2} 
     Have you considered why it was that all who were connected with Achan were also subjects of the punishment of God? It was because they had not been trained and educated according to the directions given them in the great standard of the law of God. Achan's parents had educated their son in such a way that he felt free to disobey the Word of the Lord; the principles inculcated in his life led him to deal with his children in such a way that they also were corrupted. . . . The punishment . . . reveals the fact that all were involved in the transgression.  {CC 120.3} 
     The history of Achan teaches the solemn lesson that for one man's sin the displeasure of God will rest upon a people or a nation till the transgression is searched out and punished. Sin is corrupting in its nature. One man infected with its deadly leprosy may communicate the taint to thousands. Those who occupy responsible positions as guardians of the people are false to their trust if they do not faithfully search out and reprove sin. . . .  {CC 120.4} 

The church is suffering from the prolonged presence of sin in the camp. God is longsuffering, merciful and full of grace. He is also just in igniting a controlled burn at His pleasure. 

Consider Eli's sons and the faithfulness of Samuel during that corrupt time:

Death before dishonor or the transgression of God's law should be the motto of every Christian. As a people professing to be reformers, treasuring the most solemn, purifying truths of God's word, we must elevate the standard far higher than it is at the present time. Sin and sinners in the church must be promptly dealt with, that others may not be contaminated. Truth and purity require that we make more thorough work to cleanse the camp from Achans. Let those in responsible positions not suffer sin in a brother. Show him that he must either put away his sins or be separated from the church.166 {CCh 109.3}
     The youth may have principles so firm that the most powerful temptations of Satan will not draw them away from their allegiance. Samuel was a child surrounded by the most corrupting influences. He saw and heard things that grieved his soul. The sons of Eli, who ministered in holy office, were controlled by Satan. These men polluted the whole atmosphere which surrounded them. Men and women were daily fascinated with sin and wrong, yet Samuel walked untainted. His robes of character were spotless. He did not fellowship, or have the least delight in, the sins which filled all Israel with fearful reports. Samuel loved God; he kept his soul in such close connection with heaven that an angel was sent to talk with him in reference to the sins of Eli's sons, which were corrupting Israel.167 {CCh 109.4}

What did God allow and how did He act as we continue to see a parallel course with that of our ancient past? Inspiration answers:

The sin of Eli had consisted in passing lightly over the iniquity of his sons in sacred office, and over the evils prevailing throughout the land. His neglect to correct these evils had brought upon Israel a fearful calamity. His sons had fallen in battle, Eli himself had lost his life, the ark of God had been taken from the land of Israel, thirty thousand of the people had been slain--and all because sin had been allowed to flourish unrebuked and unchecked. Israel had vainly thought that, notwithstanding their sinful practices, the presence of the ark would ensure them victory over the Philistines. In like manner, during the days of Jeremiah, the inhabitants of Judah were prone to believe that a strict observance of the divinely appointed services of the temple would preserve them from a just punishment for their wicked course.  {PK 416.1} 
     What a lesson is this to men holding positions of responsibility today in the church of God! What a solemn warning to deal faithfully with wrongs that bring dishonor to the cause of truth! Let none who claim to be the depositaries of God's law flatter themselves that the regard they may outwardly show toward the commandments will preserve them from the exercise of divine justice. Let none refuse to be reproved for evil, nor charge the servants of God with being too zealous in endeavoring to cleanse the camp from evil-doing. A sin-hating God calls upon those who claim to keep His law to depart from all iniquity. A neglect to repent and to render willing obedience will bring upon men and women today as serious consequences as came upon ancient Israel. There is a limit beyond which the judgments of Jehovah can no longer be delayed. The desolation of Jerusalem in the days of Jeremiah is a solemn warning to modern Israel, that the counsels and admonitions given them through chosen instrumentalities cannot be disregarded with impunity.  {PK 416.2} 

I cannot fail but to look upon this photo from Ed with great longing. For the day will soon come when God will require no more controlled burns. If we are found faithful to the end, we will travel through that very galaxy and further through the Orion Nebula to the Eternal City. That great and awful fallen angel, Satan, will have one thousand years to contemplate what he did to the Son of God, His creation, and His people. And after that time, God will remove His hand from the gauge and consume to the uttermost Satan, sin and sinners who loved not the truth. I cannot comprehend that day. Who among us is not accustomed to the effects of sin in the camp? One day it will be removed. In the meantime, there is the distinctive smell of smoke. God’s men and women in leadership, the watchmen on the walls of Zion, are calling for a return to righteousness. Let us support them with our prayers.     

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
... whatever the price. Amen. Whatever the price.

Some do not think they will have to pay the price. They can read and maybe understand the principle, maybe, but they do not wish to make the application in their own life. Why? Because it is painful, it requires sacrifice. The sacrifice is not just the things of this world, but it is the sacrifice of pride. Many refuse to give up their pride. It is very sad to realize that many who will not give up pride have suffered as little children and have a great need to be recognized, to be seen, to be something, to be loved. When all along, the One who loves them most is the One calling them to Himself. If one would take time to behold this matchless love, they would then willingly give up their pride in exchange for so very much, not the least of  which is peace that passes understanding.

When we counsel others to pick up their cross and carry it, the message always comes back to me, yes, and yours will come too. And come it does. None know the burden that many carry. But, if we will allow Christ to rule in our lives, the fire is carefully controlled so that we are not consumed, but rather will manifest all of the fruits of His Spirit. They are love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.  Some will benefit from knowing that temperance is self control.  Such blessings that come with giving up pride.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
Update.

When the Lord heals, he heals.

My physician insisted on a followup CT, so I indulged her to quiet her pleas. And if the truth be known, it also quieted some of my long-term concerns as a former smoker. 

Nodules discovered 4 years ago are stable and in fact, most are significantly smaller than shown in 2010. Nothing suspicious. No followup needed.

What a blessing.

What a Great Physician! 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2015, 05:37:35 AM »
This is great news Mimi! We rejoice with you in the blessings of the great Physician.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}