Author Topic: God's Controlled Burns  (Read 25522 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
God's Controlled Burns
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
Christ would elevate and refine man's mind, purifying it from all dross, that he may appreciate the love that is without a parallel. He leads them up to the higher grade, unfolding before them the treasures of eternity. He opens before them the volume of his providence, and bids them, as far as possible, take in the whole revelation. He tells them that in this book is written the name of every individual, that in the page assigned each individual is written every particular of his history, even to the numbering of the hairs of the head. He leads the human agent to think of the love of God manifested by giving his only begotten Son to die for the world. "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

When God our Father, in love and infinite mercy sends a "controlled burn" to save us, to refine us, our response to the test given holds eternal consequences. God is a consuming fire yet He controls the temperature. The dross must be removed and it produces a testimony, a witness, that can convict the coldest heart. He sends us trials, not to cause needless pain, but to lead us to look to Him, to strengthen our endurance, to teach us that if we do not rebel, but put our trust in Him, we shall see of His salvation.

When trial comes, as it will, do not worry or complain. Silence in the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. "Then are they glad because they be quiet" (Psalm 107:30). Remember that underneath you are the everlasting arms. "Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him" (Psalm 37:7). He is guiding you into a harbor of gracious experience.  {HP 269.5}

Recently God touched the temperature gauge. Do you feel it? Is it producing in you a testimony of grace? If you are prompted by the Holy Spirit to encourage the saints with a testimony, share with us your experience of how He walked with you through the fire.

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9.  

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: God's Controlled Burns
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
"Controlled burns".   Amen!!! Christ has His eye on the temperature and will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear. This is a promise!  But, it is only to those who abide in Christ. If we are outside of Christ, if self is alive, then we cannot resist the smallest temptation. In the middle of the storm, if not supported by Christ, we shall be blown over.

In Christ, we can do all things.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
Amen. Do you have a testimony?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:36:10 PM »
:)  I daily have a testimony!   The closer we get to the soon coming of Jesus, the more Satan presses his attack. And, I am not alone. We do not see even a half of what is happening around us. As I share with others, the truth as it is in Jesus, I find that many are being tested fiercely. Do we think this unusual? Yes, to a degree. All are allowed to be tried, but now it is at an increased level. It is a sign that the end is near. We do not think it strange. We have been told that trials will come.  "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you."  1 Peter  4:12.  "Fiery trial"!  Why does God allow this?  We glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;  And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. Romans 5:3-5.

My testimony is that while this testing time is painful, it is not to disturb our patience. Jesus gives us grace to rise above the trial. In this we are His witnesses. When things are going well, it is easy to smile, but when the world is falling apart, then the world can see a difference between him who loves Jesus supremely and him who does not.  It has reached the point where when some trials come, I just laugh. It is so obvious that Satan is pulling the strings. It helps to get through the test. It causes me to turn to Christ quickly as I know He is my only hope. I see the spiritual battle as never before.

I have learned to rejoice! "Rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy [are ye]; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or [as] a thief, or [as] an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf. For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?  Therefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.  1 Peter 4:13-19.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:28:11 AM »
It has reached the point where when some trials come, I just laugh. It is so obvious that Satan is pulling the strings. It helps to get through the test. It causes me to turn to Christ quickly as I know He is my only hope. I see the spiritual battle as never before.

Amen! Oh, how I can relate.   

The other day while reading, these little paragraphs caught my attention in a most dramatic way. I personalized it, replacing "teachers" with "Mothers" although we know mothers are teachers in the truest sense:

Teachers [Mothers] will meet with trials. Discouragements will press upon them as they see their work unappreciated. Satan will strive to afflict them with bodily infirmities, hoping to lead them to murmur against God, to close their eyes to His goodness, His mercy, His love, and the exceeding weight of glory that awaits the overcomer. At such times let teachers [Mothers] remember that God is leading them to more perfect confidence in Him. If in their perplexity they will look to Him in faith, He will bring them from the furnace of trial refined and purified as gold tried in the fire.  {CT 317.3} 
     Let the hard-pressed, sorely tried one say, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." "Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labor of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation." Job 13:15; Habakkuk 3:17, 18.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 03:51:39 AM »
Amen! And where you have substituted "mothers" we may also substitute  fathers, husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, ministers, church members, etc. 

When he was in affliction, he besought the Lord his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers. 2 Chronicles 33:12. In the world ye shall have tribulation" says Christ; but in Me ye shall have peace.
The trials to which Christians are subjected in sorrow, adversity, and reproach are the means appointed of God to separate the chaff from the wheat. Our pride, selfishness, evil passions, and love of worldly pleasure must all be overcome; therefore God sends us afflictions to test and prove us, and show us that these evils exist in our characters. We must overcome through His strength and grace, that we may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. "For our light affliction," says Paul, "which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal" 2 Corinthians 4:17, 18. Afflictions, crosses, temptations, adversity, and our varied trials are God's workmen to refine us, sanctify us, and fit us for the heavenly garner. 

Many of our afflictions have been visited upon us, in the wisdom of God, to bring us closer to the throne of grace. He softens and subdues His children by sorrows and trials. This world is God's workshop, where He fashions us for the courts of heaven. He uses the planing knife upon our quivering hearts until the roughness and irregularities are removed and we are fitted for our proper places in the heavenly building. Through tribulation and distress the Christian becomes purified and strengthened, and develops a character after the model that Christ has given. 

Let the afflictions which pain us so grievously become instructive lessons, teaching us to press forward toward the mark of the prize of our high calling in Christ. Let us be encouraged by the thought that the Lord is soon to come. Let this hope gladden our hearts

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:59:57 AM »
When facing great trials, I have received great encouragement from reading the Book of Job.  Here was a man perfect who served God with an undivided heart. God saw that he still needed a little work to strengthen his character. He needed to polish this beautiful stone so that it would shine more brightly with the reflection of Christ. Job learned the lesson. Notice what Satan was allowed to do to this great man of God. Don't think it strange when fiery trials come upon you!  God loves us and is preparing us for something very special. He does not waste His time on worthless stones. He is preparing homes for us in heaven, but He must also prepare us for those homes. There will be no selfishness in heaven. 

His grace is sufficient!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »
"Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercy." [Psalm 103:1-4.]

I love the whole of Psalm 103, don't you? Usually I quote the entire chapter but will try to resist today and even now resistance is waning because there are so many statements about God's love toward us we need to be reminded of every single day - just like this one:

Verses 10-14: He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remebereth that we are dust."

He knows our heart, for He reads every secret of the soul. He knows the end from the beginning. We have but a brief lifetime here, and we know not how soon the arrow of death may strike our hearts. We know not how soon we may be called to give up the world and all its interests. Eternity stretches before us. The curtain is about to be lifted. Could we but see what lies in store for each one of us I dare say we would live very differently.

How do I begin this except with a prayer on my lips? God's controlled burns continue and though we be astonished when we should not be, for we are told ahead of time these trials will come, we are none-the-less exceedingly astonished when a trial of enormous proportions knocks on our door. He gives us the trial, nay allows it, yet He does not leave us hopeless and this is my testimony because He has more work to do within my heart and I willingly submit to be laid waste for Him to accomplish it.

God reasons from cause to effect. There is no action on our part that does not hold a consequence, small or large. Early in my life I should have paid more heed to God's law of cause and effect but that was a time when I lived a Godless existence and conscience was thrown to the wind. The time of reaping is at hand and on many levels this is a very difficult pill to swallow. Logically, through the laws of nature, it was inevitable. Through the grace of God I accept it.

I was given a diagnosis of diseased lungs for which there is no cure. Comfort treatments abound but there is no cure. Statistics indicate a prognosis of two to five years if the progression is within normal ranges. Depending upon the individual and other health indicators, the time could also be relatively short. God knows the end from the beginning so I do not fear those numbers. He is my daily rest.

The health message God has given anyone who reads Scripture works to our great advantage and if implemented can be curative in most circumstances. I have been blest by it for the past 10 years and  going forward will become even more specific in its application. My body was built by our Creator. He knows the best fuels upon which it can best operate, even after we have abused it beyond reason, much can be regained.

Trust in God in whatever comes your way. Never, not even for a minute, doubt that He is not able to carry you through the controlled burn happening in your life. He loves you and wants you for His own. Never let go of His hand.    

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »
Joh 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Joh 10:29  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Isa 41:13  For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

Sybil, this is hard news to hear. Not only for you but for your friends here. God allows these things (controlled burns) and we don't always understand why or even like it. We've talked a lot here at TRO about glorying in tribulation. It's one thing to talk about it, it's another thing to experience it. We've all experienced (most are experiencing right now) some very hard times and situations. I will be praying for the Lord's will to be done and for Him to give you the peace that surpasses all understanding as we abide in Him.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
Often our plans fail that God's plans for us may succeed.  {MH 473.3} 
In the future life the mysteries that here have annoyed and disappointed us will be made plain. We shall see that our seemingly unanswered prayers and disappointed hopes have been among our greatest blessings.  {MH 474.1} 

Sybil, I have been pondering and praying about what to write since I read your post. It is difficult to find words sufficient to respond to your situation. I just want you to know what a tremendous blessing your words, your life, your influence is to me. Even though there hasn't been much interaction between us, I am always encouraged and inspired by what you share on a daily blessing. There is no value that can be placed on your ministry. You are letting God shine through you, and others are being blessed.

We don't know what's ahead for any of us, but as long as God gives us breath, we can bless others. As you cling to Jesus and share your trials and pains with us, I know He will use you to speak to our hearts, increasing our faith and devotion to Him. While we would all hope for complete healing, and a long and bountiful life for you, we do trust that our loving Father knows best. What a blessing it is to know we can trust our lives completely into His hands. Each moment is precious, and we should all consider our lives as a holy offering to Him, however long or in whatever condition He grants us life.

Sybil, I love you, and I know I speak for each member here on this forum. You will be in our constant prayers, that God will be glorified in your life, as He already has been. Cling to Jesus! When Satan comes with a discouraging thought, bask in God's love for you.

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
God is love. He has a care for the creatures he has formed. "Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him" John exclaims, "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God." What a precious privilege is this, that we may be sons and daughters of the Most High, heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ. Then let us not mourn and grieve because in this life we are not free from trials, disappointments, and afflictions. Let us not complain at inconvenience and suffering. If in the providence of God we are called upon to endure trials, let us accept the cross, and drink the bitter cup, remembering that it is a Father's hand that holds it to our lips. Let us trust him in the darkness as well as in the day. Can we not believe that he will give us everything that is for our good? "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" Even in the night of affliction, how can we refuse to lift heart and voice in grateful praise, when we remember the love to us expressed by the cross of Calvary?  {BEcho, January 1, 1888 par. 5} 
     Meditate on the beneficence of God, dear reader; you will find it most profitable to recount your blessings. Let the language of your heart be, "God had been very good to me. He delights in mercy; therefore I may trust in him. His love, his patience, his long-suffering, have followed me all the days of my life. I will believe and watch and pray; and unworthy and helpless as I am, exposed to disappointment and sorrow, and the temptations of a wily foe whom I cannot resist in my own strength, Jesus will be my helper, and will fight my battles for me. He loves me. He has given the fullest evidence of his love in dying for me. He will withhold no real blessing."  {BEcho, January 1, 1888 par. 6} 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
God reasons from cause to effect. There is no action on our part that does not hold a consequence, small or large. Early in my life I should have paid more heed to God's law of cause and effect but that was a time when I lived a Godless existence and conscience was thrown to the wind. The time of reaping is at hand and on many levels this is a very difficult pill to swallow. Logically, through the laws of nature, it was inevitable. Through the grace of God I accept it.

God's grace is sufficient, but I would not trust in the doctors prognosis. It does not take into account a God who is in control of every little thing that happens to us and around us. If we were to reap what we have sown, we should all have perished long ago.  Your life is very different from what it was a short time ago. God is in the business of changing us and then using us to help others come to Him. You are a blessing to your family, your neighbors, and all who come here looking for a blessing.  

It may be appealing to go home and be with the Lord, but there are great needs here on this planet. We do not want to be selfish and keep you here away from your permanent home, but we shall try through much prayer. May God's will be done.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »
Jim ... you are my brother, indeed.
Isa 41:13  For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

We are creatures trained to fear the unknown because on some occasions Satan has been given vantage ground and we believed him. We let him linger and instill doubt. As a consequence we contemplate our next moves based upon very sketchy suppositions and faulty reasoning because we bought into the lies he persuaded us to believe. Ed could probably tell us how many times Jesus said, "Fear not" in the Scriptures and we would be surprised that in Genesis alone He said it three times that I could count, maybe more, but the hour is late and the eyes are dim.

The question is: How many times does God have to tell us to "Fear not" before we actually believe it? It is the most encouraging thing in this world to have you quote these verses assuring us that nothing can pluck us from the safety of God's hand and it is all a result of heeding and trusting in His words: "Fear not."

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »
LindaK, I read and weep at the love you express in your beautiful message. That it should even be possible to be so is my prayer. LindaRS once wrote upon the bitter cup of blessing she was willing to drink. It was an odd thought for me in the beginning because I lacked "the experience" to understand how it could be so. Evidently God saw my lack and supplied an experience that topped all the others so I could sympathize with my sister - not given in the same way, but both experiences in the same Spirit.

Thank you for your extraordinary love. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »
Richard ...  :'(

We do not want to be selfish and keep you here away from your permanent home, but we shall try through much prayer. May God's will be done.

Jas 5:16  Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Pray without ceasing, dear brother. His will will be done.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
All around us are miracles happening every day!   God is preparing a people to live with Him for eternity. It does not happen without trials. These difficulties in life are what cause us to cling to our Lord. Our nature demands that we have trials. :(  It is sad, but it is reality. So, we glory in our tribulation knowing it works for our good and God's glory as we abide in Christ.  Righteousness by faith is real. It is our great desire to become righteous by faith in Christ.  Then we are His faithful witnesses, just as were and are those who are martyred for His name.

Our prayer for you, Dear Sybil is that you have peace knowing that God is with you each step of the way. You are His witness.

Sister Dee

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »
God's grace is sufficient, but I would not trust in the doctors prognosis. It does not take into account a God who is in control of every little thing that happens to us and around us.

Amen!  I can testify to that.  The surgeon who transplanted my son as a baby was hesitant to do so, but bowed to pressure.  I later found out that she had uttered the words that it would be "doomed to fail".  How wrong she was!  The transplant itself never did fail.

We can rest in the sure knowledge that our Heavenly Father is ultimately in control of all things.   :)  He has even graciously given you an example of this just last week with your beloved Elder Bonnie.  I am sure many were convinced that this was his time to go to his rest.  Who even expected him to be teaching Sabbath School at the end of the week?

We do not want to be selfish and keep you here away from your permanent home, but we shall try through much prayer. May God's will be done.

Yes, indeed we shall, my precious Sister!    ;)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
I was anointed today. It was being planned with another pastor, another group of elders, but it happened today much to my surprise. Our pastor asked about my daughter and I also told him of this diagnosis and to please pray for us. He insisted upon prayer and anointing during church service so it was done.

May God's will be done. 

Vicki

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
One thing that causes us to suffer more than when we ourselves are hurt, is knowing a loved one is hurting.  :'( Here I am all teary-eyed again.

Fear of the grave or fear of the unknown can be taken away by God. Trusting in Him, as I know you do, will get you through to the other side of this trial - whether it be through the grave or not, only God is in charge of that decision. Don't let it encumber your thoughts. Live the life of Jesus while you are still here. We should all have that goal. None of us know how long or short our life shall be.

I am selfish. I want you here. However, God's will be done for you is my prayer as that is always best.

...I have loved thee with an everlasting love... Jeremiah 31:3

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. Isaiah 49:16

You posted while I was working on mine...

It's not the pastor or elders that have the "special touch" but God in following His directions.

Vicki

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
May God's will be done. 

Amen. Many are lifting you up in prayer.