Author Topic: Winter 2010/11  (Read 60234 times)

Vicki

Re: Winter 2010
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
We had to travel to the city this afternoon. Managed to do a bit of slipping & sliding in the never-ending snow. We almost slid into a utility pole. God was merciful and we bounced off the curb instead, no other cars near us, and regained control of the car shortly afterward. Made it home without a scratch, just a little panic from the backseat driver but he recovered nicely.  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »
Bless you! So glad you are safely home. I just hate outings in bad weather but sometimes it is a necessity!

My two children finally got home @ 8:30 tonight. My car is still in the ditch 1/2 mile from here. Will put some chains on it and drive her home in the morning before the snow plow does any damage. Hot baths and warm food was their greatest need. Mine was that they returned to me. Thank you, Lord Jesus!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
I'm so glad to know your family is warm and safe with you again. What an ordeal! I hope they didn't have to walk that last 1/2 mile? Years ago, when I lived in the city, my truck slid down an icy hill and landed in a parking space at 7-11. I left it there for the night and walked the 1/2 mile home - much safer on foot in crunchy snow than on an icy road that night.   A knight in shining armour that I later married retrieved my truck for me without being asked.  :)

Our outing today was a necessity, too. The driving was so bad we could only get the most pressing matters dealt with so we must go out again Sunday. yuck. The forecast for the week isn't much better.

I pray you can get your car easily tomorrow.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
I understand a "blow by blow" account of anything can be tedious and wearisome so I will cut to a specific on this one. It is Sabbath and I have an ox in the ditch in the form of a Subaru. Its clearance is about a foot but the snow surrounding it is 18".  The plow will probably further bury it when the county decides we merit a grade and no one knows when that will be.

This week two wreckers have been called on other incidents involving my household and as a matter of principle, I will not call another. $300 in one week for tows and other services is well beyond my tolerance limit. Enough is enough.  So instead of Sabbath clothes and church, today it is arctic weather gear, shovels, chains and ski poles to walk the 1/2 to my car to make a decision. My elder brother neighbor will be going with me because his Subaru is also stuck 2 miles down the road. We will be attending to both cars. I solicit your prayers. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
The Lord is good. The car came out with some shoveling and aggressive maneuvering. Someone sideswiped it from front to back and the passenger mirror is all but gone. I am happy it's over, damage or not. The Lord is good.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
God is GOOD!! 

Now, pack the chains it the trunk, stack your firewood, stock your shelves, (after Sabbath) and enjoy your time at home until the snow is plowed and the weather is clear!  :)   

Enjoy the rest of the Sabbath!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Dee

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »
So glad to hear that your loved ones and vehicle are all home at last!   :) 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Now, pack the chains it the trunk, stack your firewood, stock your shelves, (after Sabbath) and enjoy your time at home until the snow is plowed and the weather is clear!

Check
Check
Check, & Check.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
DENVER (December 20, 2010)--Snow that forecasters say could reach "epic proportions" is blanketing parts of western Colorado, leaving some motorists along Interstate 70 stranded.

The snow isn't expected to make it to the east side of the Rockies, but winds as high as 80 miles per hour were battering the Colorado Springs area.

http://www.kwtx.com/weather/headlines/Winter_Storm_Roars_Into_The_Rockies_112215174.html

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
 The storm that is hitting California is pretty impressive, too.  There's that global warming again.  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »
Actually, it is a relatively warm storm. But, that is not unusual for us. Ask the rest of the country if there is global warming. How about Florida? The Europeans are getting what they want, global freezing. Since they push this global warming stuff, they must be happy to have the extreme cold weather. It must cool their hot hearts to see that their work has produced such spectacular results in such a short time. :)   Maybe they will question if they really want freezing temps. Or, maybe they will begin preaching that heating our homes with fossil fuel produces global freezing?  It seems that was what they taught many years ago. Then when things warmed up, they went the other way. :(

Winter here is as usual. It is raining and cold in December. In the spring it will begin to warm up and in the summer it will be hot. But, next winter it will be cold again. :) I look forward to having  eternal spring in the earth made new.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
I look forward to having  eternal spring in the earth made new.

AMEN!

In the meantime it's been snowing off and on for 3 days.  But it doesn't begin to compare with the feet of snow that are falling in Calif.  Keep it.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
Oh my, brother of mine. It looks like you are going to get clobbered in the next day or so.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »
Yes, a rather potent "nor'easter" is on the way.  These storms are notoriously unpredictable.  The last few storms have come up the coast far out to sea and then come in the "back door" through New Brunswick.  As a result they didn't produce that much snow (I got about 6").  That type of storm track is highly unusual.  This next one looks more typical (up the coast, sucking up moisture from the ocean and dumping it on us as snow).  They're predicting anywhere from 9-17", with very strong winds.  What joy!  My nephew has to drive down to Portland to pick up someone at the airport right in the middle of it, and he has no snow tires.  I have to go to work, but I'll take the 4 wheel drive truck.  Fortunately we don't get the bad drifting here like on the prairies.  The trees act as wind breaks.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2010, 08:52:34 AM »
Sounds like nephew is going to need to acquire some chains. Bless him! Not an enviable trip.

colporteur

« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
Here in Northern MI it has been a steady 20 degrees day and night for the past week and only 8 inches of snow so far this winter. That is perfect weather here because there is no ice or slush do to melting and not too cold. I have never seen such consistant temps. Today it is sunny. That is not something we experience alot in the winter.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Vicki

« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »
"20 degrees...not too cold" I'm spoiled. Here, when it drops below 40 I'm wondering when it will warm up again. The sun heats up our house nicely. As long as we don't have cloudy days we are toasty warm with only a slow burning log in the woodstove.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
It all becomes relative, doesn't it?  There was a time when I would have considered 40 cold.  If we hit 40 this time of year here it's a balmy winter day.  ;D  I think we reached 21 today, after being down to 7 this morning.  We haven't been below 0 yet this winter, which is unusual.  Any night above 0 is a good night.  ;D  And with a blizzard coming it will stay "warm."  Lest you think I've completely lost my marbles, I should point out that I'm originally from the "tropics" of California, where 28 was a cold night and anything below 50 was a cold day.  One learns to adapt, but I would not be averse to spending a couple of months down south in the winter.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
We had a genuine blizzard pass through that has left us quite breathless, so Thank You, Pacific coast! It is going to do some damage as it moves toward the mid-west. Yikes.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »
Yep ... an early morning tornado killed 3 in Arkansas, southwest of Fayetteville.  :(

- The Weather Channel