Author Topic: Winter 2010/11  (Read 60236 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Winter 2010/11
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Dare I post it? Winter 2010? Are we ready? Are we "wood rich" yet? I'm not quite there, but have a good start on it.

We have a very cold drizzle tonight which means a very, very chilly morning tomorrow. Drag out the thick socks, long-johns and fleece robes.  ;)
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

Re: Winter 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
Drug 'em out last week when we had to light our woodstove - in August.  I do like cooler weather - but not winter yet!!!!! Let's enjoy autumn for awhile - until March would be fine with me.  ;)

Sister Dee

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
Let's enjoy autumn for awhile

Agreed!  I'm ready for that!  We've had warmer than usual weather and I'm ready for some cooler temps.  For us, winter seems a long way off.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw, "Winter 2010"!   :D

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:22:21 AM »
What's all this discussion about winter in September?!  I still have tomatoes in the garden that I want to enjoy for awhile.  First frost is not usually until the first week of October.  We had an unprecedented "heat wave" (the term is used somewhat loosely here in Maine  ::) ) during the last few days of August and first 3 days of September.  Back to normal now.

I finished with the wood a week and a half ago (a record early finish for me).  Now I have no more excuses for not weeding the garden.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »
Wood - we have a nice big pile waiting, but who feels like cutting wood when it's near 100 degrees? I worked on it for several hours this summer but that's all I could manage. Now there's canning to be done; green beans today. That will heat up the house nicely.  :) Blessedly,we don't get snow that sticks until January or February so we can enjoy working on the wood pile through December without a problem.

We were so busy yesterday I forgot to bring in kindling.  :( I'm opting for a cozy bathrobe and insulated socks instead of boots & coat.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
I was surprised to see that no one had started this thread, yet.  Can it be that we're the only ones to have had winter weather already?  That is, if 1" of snow yesterday counts as winter weather.  :P I burned almost as much wood this morning as I do in the winter.  And yet I'm still picking Swiss Chard, and the broccoli is still trying to grow.  The days have been cold, but the nights have not been too cold, yet.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »
Too Soon! Too Soon! Too Soon! I'm just admitting autumn is here.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »
Wow, you beat me to the jump, Walter! We are unusually warm here but have had freezes at night for about 3 weeks. Weather trends "say" we are in for a dry winter. We'll take it for a change!  ;)

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »
We have had only two frosts..no freezes yet. Not all my flowers are killed, the cockscomb and a few zinnias still look good. Tonight, at 9:25, it is 53º and supposed to get only to 40º. We are still terribly dry, need rain so badly. Elizabeth has enjoyed the weather here, but had hoped for a more colorful fall. But, just too dry. She has said that in MI they go from summer to winter, and her mom said today that at 9:00 this am there was still frost on her car, temp in the 20s.

I am not wishing for lots of snow this winter as some people are. I do not like driving on snow, and if Elizabeth has to drive the 50 miles to school on it, I will be a nervous wreck!! (Have faith, Dora!) Just no more ice storms, please!!
Dora

Sister Dee

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
Well, we had a freeze here already last week.  There was a good chunk of ice in the birdbath, but not quite all the way to the bottom.  I don't think it's happened since then.  Just some frost, but not much.  Daytime temps in the 60's and it's been very dry.  I would really welcome some moisture.  Keep having to tell the kids to use their lip balm! 

Actually, I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that it's November already.  Seems like the trees are behind schedule on changing color this year. 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »

Actually, I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that it's November already.  Seems like the trees are behind schedule on changing color this year. 

I took a good look as I drove to work this morning.  The only trees left with any leaves are oaks--and those leaves are brown.  Winter comes a bit earlier here than it does in your part of the country.

Sister Dee

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
Yes, it usually does.  But, we do get wintry weather in October sometimes.  Last year we were taking a drive up into the mountains during such a time and were delighted to see snow start falling.  Of course, it only increased the higher up we went and was beautiful.  It did occur to me that we could end up in trouble before we reached the top and I suggested it might be a good thing to turn around.  Well, husband was having a great time and we went on further.  Have you ever backed down a slick mountain road in a van in reverse before?  It was quite an adventure!  Let me tell you, I was desperately praying and knew I couldn't lose it.  No way did I want the young ones freaking out (pardon the expression) and making matters worse.  We finally got to a place where it was safe to turn around and drive "normally".  I tell you, that was a huge relief!  An experience I'll never forget!   :P  The rest of the family remembers it more fondly than I do.   :D

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
Winter? It is only just November!!    I got sunburned this afternoon!! :)    Global warming!!

Where did our Fall thread go?  I just commented an hour ago that this is the most beautiful day of the whole year. It is very still and warm. The sun is not hot, the breeze is not cold, the flowers are happy, especially the roses, and the grass is growing nicely!!!

I love fall!!! 

OOPs, off topic, sorry!!  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
You "southerners" are welcome to continue to enjoy your pleasant fall weather, but those of us in the northern latitudes must face the reality of November weather that is colder than your typical winter weather.  Those of you who are Michiganders will know what I mean.  It's not much different there than it is here on the fringe of civilization.

Once we've had our first snowfall, it seems legitimate to talk about winter.  :)

Global warming?  Not in New England. 

Sister Dee

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 06:33:51 PM »
Michiganders?  Is that a legitimate term?  If so, it's a new one on me.  For now, I will refrain from sharing what popped into my head when I read that.   :)

Tamara

• humble servant
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
I think I will be a bit of a tease this morning, the sun is shinning, the flowers are out. My yard smells like magnolias and jasmine and it is the middle of spring.... enjoy your winter I am off to cut flowers!  ;D
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
It's in the 40's here in Elkhart Indiania - I will do my double sleeplab interviews in the morning at Elkhart General Hospital and hopefully be finished by noon.

Dry weather, it's still fall here, no winter yet.   Just a short drive below Michigan.   
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:02 PM »
I am praying for you on that interview, Ed. God be with you.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
I think I will be a bit of a tease this morning, the sun is shinning, the flowers are out. My yard smells like magnolias and jasmine and it is the middle of spring.... enjoy your winter I am off to cut flowers!  ;D

Dearest, there are many souls who are greatly deserving of spring and you are at the head of the list! Go enjoy and give us a full report! xox Sybil

Tamara

• humble servant
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
I did have a lovely time, got very tired though and needed to retreat back inside for a nap. Is a really lovely day. I will take photo's for you all on my walk and post them up. I can still smell the jasmine, anyone here ever grown star jasmine? It is beautiful...
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2